Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

tropicalcows
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2012, 7:12 pm

I know people with autism tend to be more sensitive to medication, but I have a serious issue. My body hasn't been able to tolerate any of the mood stabilizers and anti psychotics I've tried, even at starting doses. My psychiatrist says I keep having backwards reactions to them. I'm about ready to give up and stay med-free, but my moods are out of control and it's significantly affecting my life. Is there just no hope for me? Should I try alternative treatment techniques? I'm already in therapy and will be going into an intensive outpatient mental health program in a month.

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2012, 11:43 pm

Hi there :)

I too have always been way too sensitive. So I began looking into natural remedies. While I have off days I no longer sink into huge depressions.

Fish oil is great for depression http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Health/story? ... HeeIVGR9xg

Also, get a Himalayan salt lamp - It treats:

Respiratory disorders such as: bronchitis, asthma, sinusitis
Allergy sufferers
Rheumatism
Insomnia
Migraine
Fatigue
Depression
Stress

http://www.saltlampsparadise.com/inform ... lamps.html

While sole water doesn't treat depression per-say, it does many things to increase your well being.

http://www.himalayancrystalsalt.com/sole-benefits.html

Hope this helps!

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 9:08 pm

Hi, I am sensitive too and I know how frustrating it is.

As mentioned, fish oil, really healthy eating, lots of exercise, fixed meal times and sleeping hours, getting at least 10 minutes of sunlight on your exposed skin each day, all those things help.

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 8:42 pm

Try alternative treatment techniques. :/ (However, just don't let them persuade you of permanently brain damaging ECT - they tend to do that for "hopeless" cases.)

Two previous threads, from this forum, about the many severe dangers of anti-psychotics/neuroleptics:

www.wrongplanet.net/postt144588.html
www.wrongplanet.net/postt180622.html

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2012, 1:22 am

Beauty_pact wrote:
(However, just don't let them persuade you of permanently brain damaging ECT - they tend to do that for "hopeless" cases.)

Why or why not ECT? I've heard it''s very effective in treating depression and bipolar depression. Side effects are some memory loss around the time of treatment. Any arguments against it have sounded a little hysterical to me, so if you have any information on exactly how it damages the brain, it would be good to know. I would certainly accept a little brain damage as a pay off for not killing myself, or living in constant despair. ECT is my backup plan for when my medication fails.

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 1:59 am

Sarah81 wrote:
Beauty_pact wrote:
(However, just don't let them persuade you of permanently brain damaging ECT - they tend to do that for "hopeless" cases.)

Why or why not ECT? I've heard it''s very effective in treating depression and bipolar depression. Side effects are some memory loss around the time of treatment. Any arguments against it have sounded a little hysterical to me, so if you have any information on exactly how it damages the brain, it would be good to know. I would certainly accept a little brain damage as a pay off for not killing myself, or living in constant despair. ECT is my backup plan for when my medication fails.

No, NOT just permanent memory loss around when the treatment took place - permanent memory loss for events throughout one's whole life - sometimes in a very grave amount. I have read things about this that are NOT hysterical in the least, since temporarily, an insane head psychiatrist wanted to either feed me anti-psychotics or give me ECT, in an attempted plan of his to commit me that I managed to talk myself out of. Unfortunately, at this point, the only legitimate source I can direct you to, in this instant, are investigations that were done by the Swedish state television program 'Uppdrag Granskning', from a couple years back, or so, by the channel Svt. Maybe someone else can fill in about what I am having in mind. I am far too depressed, at this point, to start reading about these things, yet again, that would've forced me to take my life, if it indeed had happened to me. Maybe I can return to properly answer your question, in a few months.

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2012, 1:38 am

Beauty_pact wrote:
Sarah81 wrote:
Beauty_pact wrote:

No, NOT just permanent memory loss around when the treatment took place - permanent memory loss for events throughout one's whole life - sometimes in a very grave amount. I have read things about this that are NOT hysterical in the least, since temporarily, an insane head psychiatrist wanted to either feed me anti-psychotics or give me ECT, in an attempted plan of his to commit me that I managed to talk myself out of. Unfortunately, at this point, the only legitimate source I can direct you to, in this instant, are investigations that were done by the Swedish state television program 'Uppdrag Granskning', from a couple years back, or so, by the channel Svt. Maybe someone else can fill in about what I am having in mind. I am far too depressed, at this point, to start reading about these things, yet again, that would've forced me to take my life, if it indeed had happened to me. Maybe I can return to properly answer your question, in a few months.

Oh no need to read anything that's going to trigger bad things. It's just you're the first person who seems to know what they're talking about who has come down on the other side. At least I have got somewhere to start researching. Anti-psychotics are most certainly brain damaging (says she as she takes a break from typing to twiddle her fingers repetitively across her fingernails) but then so is psychosis so if I had my time again and a choice I probably would have taken them. Hope your depression lifts really soon.