Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 9:41 am

RaspberryFrosty wrote:
I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone has non verbal learning disorder. I was diagnosed with it in August 2010 and wanted to know if I was the only one on here with it.

The clinical psychologist that tested me for AS said I was not in the spectrum. I then told her I recognized myself more in NVLD. Her reply was that it is not a DSM diagnosis. End of.
I am going for a second opinion on the AS testing but the testing is subsidized and has a 2-year waiting list.

Bah Humbug...

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2014, 3:18 am

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
My VIQ is 17 points higher than my PIQ, but my Vocabulary index score is 35 points higher than my Perceptual Reasoning index score. I think that says volumes more than my VIQ vs. PIQ. Mainly because arithmetic, which I'm not good at, is part of VIQ, and symbol coding, which I'm great at, is part of PIQ.

I'll have to take another look at my psychological evaluation because I can't remember if my vocabulary index or perceptual reasoning index scores were mentioned.

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2014, 3:21 am

guzzle wrote:
RaspberryFrosty wrote:
I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone has non verbal learning disorder. I was diagnosed with it in August 2010 and wanted to know if I was the only one on here with it.

The clinical psychologist that tested me for AS said I was not in the spectrum. I then told her I recognized myself more in NVLD. Her reply was that it is not a DSM diagnosis. End of.
I am going for a second opinion on the AS testing but the testing is subsidized and has a 2-year waiting list.

Bah Humbug...

Unfortunately NLD isn't part of the DSM but you can still get tested for nonverbal learning disability. I have LD-NOS on my evaluation with "nonverbal learning disability" listed next to it as the specific learning disability.

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

21 Feb 2014, 2:35 am

My full scale IQ is 83, verbal comprehension index 102, perceptual reasoning index 77 and my working memory was scored at 80 while the processing speed was 85.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 11:06 am

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
My VIQ is 17 points higher than my PIQ, but my Vocabulary index score is 35 points higher than my Perceptual Reasoning index score. I think that says volumes more than my VIQ vs. PIQ. Mainly because arithmetic, which I'm not good at, is part of VIQ, and symbol coding, which I'm great at, is part of PIQ.

You are good at coding? Me too! I always thought that was weird since Byron Rourke says coding should be the worst subtest for NLDers. But I scored a 19 on it, a massive outlier among my other PIQ subtest scores as I'm sure you can imagine. That's why my VIQ/PIQ gap is 27 points, but my verbal index/perceptual index gap is 39 points. That one subtest score brought up my PIQ by 12 points all on its own. Didn't mean to hijack the thread- just cool to find someone else on here with the same exception to the NLD rules.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 11:15 am

RaspberryFrosty wrote:
Unfortunately NLD isn't part of the DSM but you can still get tested for nonverbal learning disability. I have LD-NOS on my evaluation with "nonverbal learning disability" listed next to it as the specific learning disability.

That's what mine says, too.

Robertmike57
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Apr 2014, 7:16 pm

where my verbal I Q is 27 points higher than my nonverbal I Q. I used to be a respected industrial hygienist with Indiana OSHA and Purdue University before coming to Michigan OSHA doing the same work as in Indiana. i was subjected to a hostile work environment by Byron Panasuk, segregaated from being the treated the same s other industrial hygienist and kept from requesting Reasonable Accommodations by his supervisor Chuck Picardy with his not posting a the required poster in my workplace. I was promised reinstatement by Arthur Andrews if I provided a Psychological evaluation supporting my record of a Nonverbal Learning Disability.
Arthur Andrews lied, he denied me reinstatement. Previously, Arthur Andrews cost the state of Michigan $60,000 because he was sexually harassing a 25 year younger woman, yet he kept employment to continue illegal discrimination. I have been denied a timely request for reasonable accommodations. i was denied a binding arbitration Civil Service hearing only becuae I had union represntation before sex degenerate Arthur Andrews.

I have been told by Michigan Civil Rights investigator Estaben Bernes my impairment by Michigan law because my I Q was 123. i have written to Governor Rick Snyder about my ordeal to be met with no response.
I have broken down further and further over the years to the point my landlord, Lighthouse Management of Kentwood, wants to evict me, even though i present no hazard to others with my hoarding disorder and paid my rent. When that happens. I shall simply go to Lansing and kill myself, a sacrifice to the government that wants me dead anyway. I have no hope and only a purpose with death

My facebook page provide Michigan government's brazen defiance of the law, a record of my impairment, a discussion how mixed handedness is a visible trait of a NVLD, something I figured out myself, my education background, my job qualifiactions.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 8:06 pm

From what I understand (I could be wrong), the difference between NLVD and Aspergers/ASD is qualitative as opposed to quantitative. Basically NLVD and Aspergers is not an either-or type of thing. ASD and NLVD are diagnosed in completely different ways, so that you cannot really compare them on a diagnostic level. But as for the two disorders (or conditions or whatever else you want to call them) themselves, there is a lot of similarity in traits and symptoms. And since on a diagnostic level the two are completely different, it is possible to have both.

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2014, 10:37 pm

I'm questioning my NLD diagnosis because of certain behaviors I did as a child and on my evaluation, it says I have good math reasoning that is hindered by working memory issues. Don't NLDers have poor mathematical reasoning skills?

I also recently found out that the psychologist that diagnosed me as NLD specializes in evaluating adults for autism spectrum disorders. I think if I had gotten enough sleep the night before my evaluation, I would of done well on the visual puzzles. :/

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 10:19 am

I find this diagram very interesting
here's where it's from
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=s1516-44462006000500003&script=sci_arttext&tlng=en#fig01

This is another one I find interesting as well
From http://www.weirdnotstupid.com/whatisnld.php