Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Khoma
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jun 2013, 7:24 am

First - I'm not completely sure this classes as ADHD. My original and official diagnosis at the age of fourteen was PDD-nos with ADHD. Because of the ADHD they did not want to diagnose me as an aspie at the time.

On average once per 10 days or so I get really hyperactive. I'm bursting with energy and I usually skip sleeping completely. I can go out, work out and come back and only feel slightly tired and only physically. Mentally, I'd still be bursting with ideas and energy. I can go out on a bike ride and colours will seem brighter and overall my way of responding is much more fluid than usual. I can run or cycle for hours. It usually lasts for about four-five hours. Emotions become powerful and addressable.

Normally I get plenty of productivity out of this, so it doesn't really bother me. It does however, bother the people around me. I wonder why. :D

I can feel this coming, building up inside of me, hours in advance. Sometimes even up to a day in advance. Stress seems to increase the frequency of this behaviour. But I don't get overstimulated from my environment, and I'm more social during this period.

Does this sound familiar? Any tips on reducing my energy levels?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2013, 9:37 am

Have you ever gotten depressed? Because to me that sounds more like hypomania than ADHD. ADHD typically has fairly constant high energy.

Khoma

10 Jun 2013, 10:37 am

I have, only once it was significant.

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jun 2013, 3:35 pm

I agree that sounds more like hypomanic episodes. ADHD symptoms do not come and go. Mania does. Other than that they can appear similar. I get both. I'm already hyper but when I've been manic it increases.

Khoma

11 Jun 2013, 7:19 am

Well, it was when I was 13. I was the shortest kid in school, and got picked on. After 7 months I caved in, my performances crashed. After that I have not had any real depressive episodes - sometimes stuff comes back: I used to do talking to people who felt lonely, kind of like a buddy program. I felt like I was soaking up their emotion and started to project it onto my own environment.

I have had temporal bouts of feeling bad apart from that, but they were usually due to relationship issues, parent issues, academic issues et cetera.

Normally my energy level is quite high already, a bit like you're saying Schizpergers.

What I'm really looking for is a way to control it more.