Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

RawSugar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2013, 8:14 pm

I know diabetes isn't a psychological condition but I wasn't sure where else to put this. I'm doing some research and trying to connect the dots in my head on some things and I was wondering if there are any people here WITH and ASD who also happen to be diabetic? If you don't feel comfortable posting here for everyone else to see you can feel free to PM me. It would really help me. I'm also looking for information regarding the incidence of hyper and hypoglycemia in people with ASDs so if either of those affect you I'd like to hear as well.
Cheers
Julia.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 2:01 pm

I am type two diabetic and AS

Urist
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Mar 2013, 9:54 am

I have type 1 diabetes. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the 'incidence' of hypo- and hyperglycemia - how it feels, why it happens, how to deal with it? I'll just answer those three right now:

Having low blood sugar makes me feel shaky, cold and groggy. High blood sugar levels give me headaches and make me feel lethargic.

The second two questions link in together well. 'Hypos', as they're called, are caused by low blood sugar levels. Treat them by consuming sugar, I'd recommend something like Lucozade or, if you can get them, dextrose tablets. After taking those, consider taking something for long term sugar like a biscuit or some fruit. High blood sugars can only be treated by insulin and exercise, as far as I know. Some types of insulin are only injected a few times per day and have long term effects whereas others, usually those administered by insulin pumps, are used when blood sugars are high. The latter is the most immediate solution but it's really just a matter of letting the insulin take effect and not taking more sugar.

Cheeseburgermafia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Mar 2013, 12:29 pm

All of my relatives with diabetes have had weight problems and diagnosed mental disorders. I suspect that in my family, mental disorders lead to nervous eating. Perhaps this is true of others.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 10:34 pm

Cheeseburgermafia wrote:
All of my relatives with diabetes have had weight problems and diagnosed mental disorders. I suspect that in my family, mental disorders lead to nervous eating. Perhaps this is true of others.

I have Type 2 diabetes, Asperger's Disorder, Anxiety disorder and Bipolar Type 1. While I have had problems with money as a child, I really started having issues when my father, who I really did not get along with, died 27 years ago. It has been a roller coaster ride until last year when I crashed and burned after being on too many psychotropic drugs. I am now on SSDI, at age 55, and may never again be normal, which at this point in my life, I could care less what happens.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 4:17 pm

I feel like I need to bring this up everywhere because I really think there needs to be more awareness of this. I don't have diabetes, but I do have celiac disease, which is comorbid with diabetes and thyroid problems. And mental health issues, various types, can be symptoms of celiac disease.

Poor motivation

Urist
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Mar 2013, 10:12 am

I also have Coeliac, cavernio. Pretty much all of the doctors I went to assumed that I was being bullied or something because it caused me to become extremely depressed and have crying fits, suddenly not feel like talking, that sort of thing. I eventually did get diagnosed with Coeliac by a doctor who had it himself - he must have recognised it. I find it extremely odd that it took so long, in retrospect, considering that I'd had a blood test because of diabetes that said I could develop Coeliac Disease.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2013, 12:48 pm

my moms diabetic