Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

g2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2013, 4:59 pm

So how many other Nonverbal Learning Disability people are there on this site? I'm also ADHD, does that generally go along with NLD?

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 2:46 pm

g2 wrote:
So how many other Nonverbal Learning Disability people are there on this site? I'm also ADHD, does that generally go along with NLD?

Hi G2 :)

I have NLD/NVLD. There are quite a few people on WP with NLD/NVLD, so i'm a bit surprised you've received no responses other than mine yet. I would guess there's others here (especially self-diagnosed Asperger's members perhaps) with NLD/NVLD who don't even know they have it. All the studies i've seen on the matter state that a large percentage of those diagnosed with Asperger's have many, if not all, the common NLD characteristics. The actual percentages vary from study to study though. Some put the percentage as low as 25% and others put it as high as 80%. Actually i'm not sure if ADHD generally goes along with NLD/NVLD and that's a good questions actually. I'm going to take a half-a**ed educated guess and say that it occurs in disproportionately higher numbers among those with NLD/NVLD than it does in the NT population. Still....we also may want to take into account that some of the typical NLD/NVLD manifestions might present themselves in such a way (in certain individuals with NLD that is) that it APPEARS as though the person has ADHD as well. Differential diagnosis can be pretty tricky when it comes to NLD and several other disorders (and like I said...maybe ADHD is one of them) and even professionals get it wrong often enough. I have many of the usual co-morbids, (like depression, anxiety, etc....) but I have never been dx-ed with ADHD. I did score very poorly on a sustained attention test once, but that alone is not enough to yield an ADHD diagnosis of course.

Morning comes the sunrise and i'm driven to my bed, I see that it is empty and there's devils in my head. I embrace, the many-colored beast...I grow weary of the torment....can there be no peace? I find myself just wishing, that my life would simply cease

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 8:39 am

I have NVLD tendencies, but I don't think I actually have it. My verbal skills are extremely good, but my spatial skills are all over the place.

Now, my Mom, on the other hand...

LittleBlackCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2013, 7:06 pm

You might want to look at the following page written by Lorna Wing from the National Autistic Society's website in the UK:

The use and misuse of diagnostic labels

She states her belief (shared by many others) that NVLD is a misdiagnosis of AS, rather than a separate condition. There is a mention of ADHD also.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 2:41 am

LittleBlackCat wrote:
She states her belief (shared by many others) that NVLD is a misdiagnosis of AS, rather than a separate condition. There is a mention of ADHD also.

I don't see it as a misdiagnosis in that sence. But more like splitting up diagnosis and creating highly simmilar and highly overlapping once.
That is also a reason why many are dx with several differenc conditions, because many disorders are overlapping.

I also see no sence in dx an autistic person sensory issues, because most autistics have them and they are allready integrated in the autism lable. Diagnosing a person so many disorders as possible doesn't help at all. My opinion.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 11:03 pm

Yes I most likely have NLD based on my neuropsychology scores. Also based on my history growing up related to the symptoms of this condition I fit the NLD diagnosis.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 10:01 am

Quote:
She states her belief (shared by many others) that NVLD is a misdiagnosis of AS, rather than a separate condition.

Quote:
Non-verbal learning disorder (NVLD)
Study of the criteria for this condition shows that it covers people with the social behaviour pattern of Asperger syndrome, who also have problems with the non-verbal skills of arithmetic and some visuo-spatial skills. Dr Asperger included such people in his descriptions but also included people with social problems who were very good with numbers and visuo-spatial skills.

I don't think she's saying NVLD is a misdiagnosis of AS, I think she's just saying the two overlap.

I think if anything NVLD is a more useful diagnosis than AS, because it tells you more about what the person actually needs. An AS visuospatial learner has very different needs than an AS/NVLD person - about the only overlap is that they both need help with social skills. (And perhaps share repetitive behavior traits, but since there are three distinct types of repetitive behavior they might not - someone who has intense interests and a varied routine isn't much like someone who has insistence on routine but varied interests.)

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 11:01 am

Ettina wrote:
I don't think she's saying NVLD is a misdiagnosis of AS, I think she's just saying the two overlap.

So far I remember 90% of people dx with NVLD also have AS and 80% of ppl dx with AS also have NVLD. But just 30% of ppl dx with HFA also have NVLD.
So the diagnostic terms NVLD and AS are highly overlapping.

I don't have it. But I have HFA.

LittleBlackCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2013, 7:51 pm

My apologies :oops: I looked it up as I was unfamiliar with the terminology and the overall thrust of the article seemed to be that people were being misdiagnosed and, therefore, missing out on services. However, I seem to have misunderstood.

bornrebel9
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2013, 6:04 pm

I was diagnosed with NLD in May 2010 after a neuropsychological evaluation. My verbal and spatial skills dramatically differ as I am much stronger verbally than I am with understanding how to navigate in space. I have coordination issues, fine motor skills issues, and socialization issues. I definitely possess traits of someone with NLD as I have difficulty with my social skills and have trouble interpreting nonverbal cues.

alan78
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jan 2013, 9:20 pm

I think i may have this, just registered on here today and found out about it. The only thing is i am good at maths, but with everything else i can relate to.

I have been diagnosed with ADD in 1997, and i have found a local support group. But i feel i have far more severe social problems than my ADD counterparts. I am 34 now but i have never been able to work, and live of state benefits. The reason i cant work as i find being around people really difficult. I do have friends but i would describe myself as more of a loner, i want to be more social and would love to be able to work and have a career, but i just really struggle with basic social communication and interaction, so much so that i rarely go out the house unless i have to go for messages, appointments, the gym or meet friends. But i would say i spend as much as 95% of my time on my own and mostly in the house.

Also i have major problems with intimacy and getting close to people, i can only really relax when i'm alone.

I feel i am a somewhere between autism and add, with severe social anxiety and agoraphobia flung in. The areas i most struggle with are social communication, being around people in general, wanting to spend most of my time alone and in a daydream world, poor motivation and ability to organise myself, also severe intimacy problems especially with the opposite sex. I just have real severe problems being around people, so much so that i tend to spend most time alone, and avoid social situations as much as i can.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 7:26 pm

alan78 wrote:
I think i may have this, just registered on here today and found out about it. The only thing is i am good at maths, but with everything else i can relate to.

I have been diagnosed with ADD in 1997, and i have found a local support group. But i feel i have far more severe social problems than my ADD counterparts. I am 34 now but i have never been able to work, and live of state benefits. The reason i cant work as i find being around people really difficult. I do have friends but i would describe myself as more of a loner, i want to be more social and would love to be able to work and have a career, but i just really struggle with basic social communication and interaction, so much so that i rarely go out the house unless i have to go for messages, appointments, the gym or meet friends. But i would say i spend as much as 95% of my time on my own and mostly in the house.

Also i have major problems with intimacy and getting close to people, i can only really relax when i'm alone.

I feel i am a somewhere between autism and add, with severe social anxiety and agoraphobia flung in. The areas i most struggle with are social communication, being around people in general, wanting to spend most of my time alone and in a daydream world, poor motivation and ability to organise myself, also severe intimacy problems especially with the opposite sex. I just have real severe problems being around people, so much so that i tend to spend most time alone, and avoid social situations as much as i can.

alan78,

If you haven't seen it already....you might be interested in the thread I started here:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt221975.html

Morning comes the sunrise and i'm driven to my bed, I see that it is empty and there's devils in my head. I embrace, the many-colored beast...I grow weary of the torment....can there be no peace? I find myself just wishing, that my life would simply cease

alan78
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jan 2013, 11:19 pm

Horus wrote:
alan78 wrote:

alan78,

If you haven't seen it already....you might be interested in the thread I started here:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt221975.html

Thanks, i'm on a fact finding mission at the moment, will check this out :)

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2013, 11:39 pm

I have it and hello.

FeyAngel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jul 2013, 9:17 pm

I have been recently diagnosed within the last month with NVLD. Good to see there are others out there; I had never heard of NVLD before, but it explains the awful struggle I've been going through while trying to complete my Bachelor's degree.