Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Makar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Feb 2014, 4:14 pm

Ok so for the last several days I've been hearing ambulance noises on loop in the background 24 hours a day. It sounds like there's an ambulance a block away, but after hearing it for several hours it occurred to me that it was very unlikely an ambulance would be sitting in the same place for that long. So, I plugged my ears and the noise was still playing in my head. After that I double checked with my roommate and I'm the only one hearing it.

It occurred to me so easily that it might not be real due to the fact that over the last month something similar has occurred several times. Once I heard music coming from the TV but the TV was off. I checked everywhere and then asked my roommate if he could hear it. Nope, it was just me. It stopped after several hours. A few weeks later one evening I started hearing Skype call noises. At first I thought it was the neighbors but it lasted 4 hours without stopping and I realized it was probably in my head again.

Sometimes the noises get so quiet I think it's almost gone and sometimes it's much louder. If I focus on something, like reading, it seems to get louder over time. Also if I hear something that makes white noise, like a fan in the background it almost seems to feed off of the other noise and get louder. It's driving me absolutely crazy though, I can't focus or read very well with background noise and even though it's just a product of my mind it's still very distracting! Also the fact that's it's been playing for days is pretty disconcerting :/ I'm pretty worried about this new symptom and what it can mean. In the past I've had issues with depression, mood swings, anxiety and ADHD symptoms. I've also been told I have AS by a psychiatrist and I think he was right. Hearing things is a new realm of strange for me.

Can anyone give me any insight into what this could be? I'm getting pretty freaked out.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 4:33 pm

Audio hallucination is probably about the most disquieting experiences I have ever had. I would advise seeking help.
I have no idea of your hallucination for me among the factors was most certainly drug use disturbingly from taken months before.

Take care and look after yourself above all keep calm.
Hope you soon find out what is really going on. )))))big hugs(((((

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 4:58 pm

by all means, please seek medical attention - I'd got go your physical doctor first, shrink second.

Makar

24 Feb 2014, 5:10 pm

iceb wrote:
Audio hallucination is probably about the most disquieting experiences I have ever had. I would advise seeking help.
I have no idea of your hallucination for me among the factors was most certainly drug use disturbingly from taken months before.

Thanks, I've been considering calling a psychologist and I probably should. I'm getting to the limit of my ability to tolerate this noise, so I probably will if it goes for another day or two. I'm trying to keep calm but it's just so maddening.

What kind of hallucinations did you have?

I've had visual illusions and distortions in the past and I always assumed they were flashbacks from past drug use. They've also gotten much milder over time and rarely occur now. I've never had audio hallucinations under any circumstance before though, I wonder if it could be connected.

Do you know what else was causing yours? What did you do about it?

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 5:24 pm

Makar wrote:
iceb wrote:

Thanks, I've been considering calling a psychologist and I probably should. I'm getting to the limit of my ability to tolerate this noise, so I probably will if it goes for another day or two. I'm trying to keep calm but it's just so maddening.

What kind of hallucinations did you have?

I've had visual illusions and distortions in the past and I always assumed they were flashbacks from past drug use. They've also gotten much milder over time and rarely occur now. I've never had audio hallucinations under any circumstance before though, I wonder if it could be connected.

Do you know what else was causing yours? What did you do about it?

It was some time ago and I was suffering an episode of psychosis brought on by drug abuse and stress most disturbing was hallucinations of my Fathers voice, it was a very unhappy period of my life that I am very glad to say has never occurred since.
I did spend 2 months in a mental hospital on some fairly hefty medication.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 7:50 pm

when I am drowsy, I often hear the music of the spheres in the noisy power supply of one of my old puters.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 8:48 pm

I have had brief auditory hallucinations when majorly sleep deprived.

Another thing to consider is that we as people on the spectrum (I'm self-diagnosed) can sometimes hear high pitched sounds from electrical wiring that most quote-unquote 'normal' people can't hear. I remember this man who worked in electronics telling me he could hear when this device was turned on and off. His boss didn't quite believe and they did a little mini experiment with the boss turning the machine on and off from another room, and sure enough the man could hear it.

And of course, if you can hear some of it, your brain is an expert at pattern creation and pattern recognition. And so your brain might generate a pattern in response to ambiguous sounds. And this is relatively normal.

Okay, as one thing you might do, I've kind of become pretty good at finding semi-public places to read and study. For example, the patio area next to my local university's cafe. There's enough people around that it feels safe, but not so many, and so it also feels quiet and relaxing. And it probably also has less electrical stuff in the background.

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 8:58 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:

Another thing to consider is that we as people on the spectrum (I'm self-diagnosed) can sometimes hear high pitched sounds from electrical wiring that most quote-unquote 'normal' people can't hear.

Is that common for ASD folk? Apologies for the derail - right now I can hear my TV singing like a chorus of speeded-up and distant cicadas, and my phone charger and networking equipment are both whistling in their own distinctive tones. Not too loud, but noticeable, and a very real effect - it stops if I disconnect the power to these devices.

Nobody else I know hears their (or my) gadgets.

Wishing the OP well!

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 9:01 pm

I think it's a good idea to probably check with both a physical doctor and a mental health person, and I think seeing them in either order is fine.

On the physical side, there can easily be three dozen different causes. Just to give one example, here's Meniere's disease from a Mayo Clinic page
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... N-20028251
Just one example, and you probably don't have this since it's on the rare side. But whatever you have, the sooner you start various treatment strategies, the sooner you start getting a handle on it.

And I think there's a lot to say for seeing a general practitioner who has some horse sense.

And on the psychological side, the sooner you start various treatment approaches which make sense to you, in a way respectful to you, the sooner you can have some tools and methods which can provide some appreciable help.

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2014, 10:19 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
I have had brief auditory hallucinations when majorly sleep deprived.

Another thing to consider is that we as people on the spectrum (I'm self-diagnosed) can sometimes hear high pitched sounds from electrical wiring that most quote-unquote 'normal' people can't hear. I remember this man who worked in electronics telling me he could hear when this device was turned on and off. His boss didn't quite believe and they did a little mini experiment with the boss turning the machine on and off from another room, and sure enough the man could hear it.

And of course, if you can hear some of it, your brain is an expert at pattern creation and pattern recognition. And so your brain might generate a pattern in response to ambiguous sounds. And this is relatively normal.

Okay, as one thing you might do, I've kind of become pretty good at finding semi-public places to read and study. For example, the patio area next to my local university's cafe. There's enough people around that it feels safe, but not so many, and so it also feels quiet and relaxing. And it probably also has less electrical stuff in the background.

I believe I also have ASD but have been hearing my daughters cry hours after she is asleep, and then even in the middle of the night I wake up to check on her cause I thought I heard her. She is almost 6 months so its way past the sleep deprived stage. I also was giving her a bottle the other night and I kept hearing feet shuffling. I never found out what it was but I thought i was my fiance walking and he was very much asleep. Even though I knew he was sleeping, I kept looking behind me when I heard the sound expecting him to be their. Then I was washing her bottle out a few nights later and I kept hearing "hurry" but it wasnt really "hurry" as it ended up being the wind from the window being left open.

I have been extremely stressed lately with my evaluation coming up and my 3 year old sons coming up as well next month. I am wondering if my brain is just on over drive. I usually only hear some things at like 3 in the morning when my daughter (really does) wake up. I have always thought I heard my name growing up but nothing has ever been severe. Does this mean I could be more schizo? I do not see things or have anyone tell me what too do, other then the wind saying "hurry" but I am kind of concerned from this myself. I also have always been able to hear white noises, can not stand the t.v being turned off but the dvd player still on it makes such a high pitch noise from the other room, people think I am crazy that it bothers me so much and they can not hear it. Sorry to overwhelm you with all this, I have been searching for a post like this, waiting for someone to have some knowledge on ASD and other things.