Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 6:35 am

I'm a bit annoyed about my dx situation. I talked to my psychiatrist these day and he admitted that he isn't sure what I have. 8O
I feel like back on the start. I've severe difficulties concentrating, especially while reading, but I didn't have that in puberty. It started some years ago, so my ADHD dx got removed again or is just under suspicion again, I dunno.

Also I'm supposed to talk with my therapist about the possibility of schizotypal symptoms.

So the only things that seemed to be sure is:
- tic disorder
- gender dysphoria
- depression (but I'm not even convinced about that, for me it seems more like chronic fatigue syndrome)
- I had dyslexia as a child

So I dunno what to do or think. I talk with psychiatrists since several years and there are still many question marks. I'm not convinced that psychiatrists can tell you that much about oneself.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 9:59 am

Hi, what if you see if you can get an appointment at a sleep center and they can check for sleep apnea and similar things? And in the meantime, maybe read up on 'sleep hygiene,' which are really just methods that work for some people but not others. It's a very personal and individual thing.

And as far as the possibility of chronic fatigue syndrome, that would be more in the realm of an internist or family practitioner to start with. It's tricky. And please be advised, I've read that some doctors are matter-of-fact about the possibility of CFS and treat these patients just like any other patients, but other doctors treat them like a pain. So, you may need to shop around a little.

I'm guess I'm advocating more of a component approach, which I suppose is non-mainstream. Looking for particular areas of improvement, instead of over-arching diagnoses.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 12:12 pm

Thank you for your answer. :D

I'm from a smaller city from Germany and I'm not even convinced that I'll find a GP or medical doctor in General who is trained in chronic fatigue syndrome. But I'll look what I can do.

But my ADHD dx was total BS. I started researching myself today and ended up by an optician who told me the I need glasses and I still can see properly in everyday life but with those eyes it's not possible for me to read long texts. So I'll get glasses the next days. So combine seeing difficulties with dyslexia and general slow reading in addition to severe stress and fatigue and you'll get the result I had. My brain just shut off while reading long and difficult stuff. That also explains why medication who was supposed to increase my concentration never worked. Well now I feel stupid that I had never thought about that possibility before. 8O

Davros
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Apr 2014, 5:43 pm

They've never been able to consistently and accurately diagnose me with anything of consequence.

I want, want, want, want, want a label for my condition, but it seems like every Doctor I've dealt with thinks helping me with my mental symptoms is much more important than coming up with a label for it.

I hope I can come to terms with this approach they have taken, and hopefully can work with them to make my life work better.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 1:47 am

Davros wrote:
I want, want, want, want, want a label for my condition, but it seems like every Doctor I've dealt with thinks helping me with my mental symptoms is much more important than coming up with a label for it.

I can understand that need actually. I have this too.
I'll get glasses this or next week and then I'll see if and how far my difficulties concentrating will get better. I've been wearing contact lenses the last two days, but had major difficulties with them putting them in and they fell out twice, once during a lecture. :evil:
So I can't say that much, but at least my headache got better with lenses. :)
I also first have to get used to them, also to the fact that I have to get used to seeing in 3D again. Before I just looked mostly with one eye the optician explained and you need both to see in 3D.

So, I wanna quit with my ADHD medication, but first talk with my psychiatrist about it, also now when some symptoms get removed again. I mean some symptoms seemed to be related to my eyes in fact. This wasn't detected earlier, because one eye is fine (90% vision, what's still average) and the other one is not (23% vision, astigmatism and short sighted ). So I'm able to see everything actually, because one eye is fine. But this causes a huge effort of concentration for my brain and so on.

So I'm thinking about changing my therapist. Because he's going in retirement soon, but the main reason is that he is away twice a year and every time for about two months. So he isn't there for at least four months in addition to that he is also not there over the Christmas holidays, so it's approx 5 months a year he isn't there and that's not really therapy. :roll:
I didn't talked with him about the possibility of having schizotypy. I never talk with him about dx in fact. I just once told him that I don't think I've ADHD and that the problem are my eyes in fact. He didn't say anything to it. The only dx he talks to me about are my depressions, he doesn't say anything to any other dx. I told him the last time, that I don't really feel depressed but instead that I feel like having a flue or something all the time. He told me that he doesn't know what I have and that I should take vitamins. Aha.

So far, so good. I'm thinking about the possibility of having schizotypal symptoms in addition to autism, or the other way around. What would make the most sense to me. Well, we'll see. I'll see my psychiatrist again on March 14th and then I'll talk to him about that possibility again.