Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

SweetTooth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2014, 7:51 am

Dear all,

Since about 1.5 years I have been using Clomipramine, prescribed to me for moderately severe to severe "pure-O" type OCD. Around the same time I was also prescribed Seroquel, but last Spring I have discontinued it in consultation with my doctor, because I found it to be terribly sedating. In the same time period I received very useful cognitive-behavioural therapy that has reduced my OCD symptoms considerably.

It seems that not only Seroquel, but also Clomipramine has a sedating effect on me. My thoughts feel "syrupy", thick and flowing more slowly through my head than usual. Often I'm sleepy during the day, even when I have had a good night's rest. I'm less alert and have a harder time concentrating.

For my job (PhD student in mathematics, I'm in love with my field) it is important to be able to think clearly. Taking medication makes me often feel dumb. I can still work, write and produce proofs and calculations, but sometimes I feel I lost a certain "edge" from the time I started taking medication. I hate this a lot.

I'm curious whether there are others here with mentally demanding jobs or activities who were facing a similar trade-off. What did you decide to do, and how did that work out for you? Did you reduce or stop medication completely, or did you accept the sedating side effects? I have an appointment in a week to discuss the issue with my doctor.

Thank you in advance for any responses,

SweetTooth.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 1:05 am

SweetTooth,

I can relate to the trade off of which you speak. I find that medications of this sort do not merely sedate, but that they actually can cause(temporary) cognitive impairment. I have experienced word-finding difficulties as an example. There are no easy answers with this problem set. Clearly, our mental abilities are paramount, but which interferes more the pathology or the treatment of said pathology? Within the psycho-pharmaceutical realm it has been trial and error, in my case. I suspect it will be the same for you.

If you can gain further symptom reduction with additional CBT or alternative, I would encourage you to turn first to these options and last to the medications.

Sir, have you considered whether some mental disciplines such as meditation/mindfulness or the recitation of mantras may add some benefit in your case? Please understand I am NOT referring to anything remotely religious. Current research is showing that these techniques alter the brain via neuroplasticity and that people report a decrease in obsessionality, anxiety, pain, and so on.

I hope you can find a path which leaves the maximum amount of your intellect available for Mathematics and ultimately that you can feel some internal peace. I understand how Pure O robs one of peace.

SweetTooth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2014, 3:11 pm

Thank you for your thoughtful reply, much appreciated.

It is indeed as you say: Which interferes more: The pathology or the treatment of said pathology? My history with OCD is long, about 15 years now. Time after time it got the best of me, left me debilitated. It is only during the last 9 months and with the help of a very competent (public facility) CBT therapist that I have seen substantial improvement. Whatever I decide regarding the medicines, I have to promise myself to be careful.

Regarding your suggestion about mental disciplines, I have to say that I'm full of what are most likely prejudices. You may very well be right, but because of these prejudices it will be difficult for me to get involved. We will see.

On a side note, physical exercise, which appaled me at first, has been relieving numerous times.

Again, thank you for your reply, and for your kind wishes at the end.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 4:19 pm

I tried Ritalin (officially prescribed). buth that made me very unstable.

I tried dextroamphetamine (officially prescribed), but that may me rather numb.

I tried various illegal substances including LSD, MDMA, levoamphetamine, methylone and 2-FMA (self-medicated). Those did benefit me a lot, but the stimulants to tend to be addictive and result in dependence.

Currently, I try to stay free from any medication most of the time, although I do self-medicate occasionally.

My prefered combo for alleviating the more negative Autism symtoms is a mixture of levoamphetamine, methylone and 2-FMA.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Feb 2015, 8:49 pm

I take Neurontin /Gabapentin for my OCD which helps it a lot & it doesn't have the sedating effect I got on lots of psych meds.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 11:17 pm

at least you can still write.

Try ollanzapine...you literally loose the ability to use a pen. It takes about a month of practise while still on the drug to regain penmanship consciousness.