Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

psycho
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Oct 2015, 9:13 pm

Hello,

I am sorry for my bad english.
I have a diagnostic of schizophrenia since 8 years. I have finding out (I'm not sure for grammar, I read with a dictionary) that I have many autistic symptoms. I'm going to list theim :
- no diversity of expression's emotions.
- no imaginative play (play with doll, etc.) when I was a child.
- no collective play.
- no difference between friend or just acquaintance.
- no empathy.
- feeling inadequate.
- interest limited and invasive.
- ritual (always the same actions).
- using objetcs repetitivly and anapropriatly (this words exist ?).

I would like to know what you think about this symptoms in schizophrenia. Are they very incapaciting ? (I've a AQ : 38/50).

Thank you, sorry for the mistakes.

CryosHypnoAeon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Oct 2015, 1:28 am

Do you live in France ?

I've had imaginative play when I was young,
but autism is a spectrum, and there's all types out there.

psycho
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Oct 2015, 6:58 am

Yes, I'm french.

I know that autism is a spectrum ; but I have never read any text about these symptoms in schizophrenia. People just says : "yes, there are autistic symptoms in schizo". So, my comprehension of these is limited. It's difficult to know what is an autistic symptom, what is normal, and what is an other schizophrenic symptom. For example, what is social phobia ? a consequence of autism characteristics, of schizophrenia caracteristics, or juste a consequence of past life or traumatism(s) ?

Are you schizophrenic ?

Eric2971
Raven
Raven

08 Oct 2015, 9:03 am

Your not doing too bad with the language :) As for your questions, yes, both ASD and Schizophrenia share a lot of the same negative symptoms. Par exemple , comment voulez-vous faire la distinction entre la phobie sociale et le retrait social du point de vue des observateurs? And usually the defining characteristics of schizophrenia are the development of positive symptoms in your late teens. Je dirais que peut-être celui qui a diagnostiqué que vous étiez tout simplement démodé ou pas à jour car ils l'habitude de croire que l'autisme était la schizophrénie de l'enfance jusqu'à ce qu'ils réalisent qu'ils étaient 2 troubles distincts. Forgive my french,

Quetiapine 300mg Morning
Quetiapine 100mg Night
Depakote 1500mg Night
Sertaline 75mg 2xDaily
Bupropion 100mg 2xDaily
Gabapentin 600mg Morning
Gabapentin 300mg Night

Imagine my therapist's embarrassment when it turned out they really were after me.;)

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 6:22 am

Back when autism wasn't an official diagnosis people mistook autism for schizophrenia and continue to do this to this day.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

psycho
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Oct 2015, 10:37 am

Yes but autistics don't have symptoms like spirit division (clivage) or derealization. This difference permits to distiguish between autism and dizorganised schizophrenia (with a lot of negative symptoms and spirit division but no positive symptoms).

psycho
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Oct 2015, 10:43 am

Eric2971 wrote:
Your not doing too bad with the language :)

Thank you, Eric =) It's the first compliment since I'm 12 :p

Veilmenacex
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2015, 1:35 pm

misdiagnosed as schizophrenia? psychotic episode before the age of 16 for males is very rare, for females the onset of first episode psychosis is much later.

blessedbethyname
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Dec 2015, 4:13 am

There is childhood schizophrenia. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20029260

Language delays
Late or unusual crawling
Late walking
Other abnormal motor behaviors — for example, rocking or arm flapping

Some of these signs and symptoms are also common in children with pervasive developmental disorders, such as autism spectrum disorders. So ruling out these developmental disorders is one of the first steps in diagnosis.

It defines childhood schizophrenia as a "severe brain disorder in which the children interpret reality abnormally."

I don't know if this helps. But, I know of someone who had childhood schizophrenia and became a psychiatric nurse later.

You're only 12 years old and exhibit a high level of maturity and intelligence.

Happy Holidays!

Dennis Prichard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Dec 2015, 8:37 pm

I knew someone who was constantly saying that someone had "stolen his soul." Is that "spirit division".

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 6:47 am

Schizophrenia is generally divided into two symptom categories - 'positive' symptoms (something abnormal that is present) and 'negative' symptoms (something normal that is absent).

If you were to divide up autism the same way, the positive symptoms would be completely different, but the negative symptoms would be very similar.

Schizophrenia positive symptoms:

* hallucinations

* delusions

* disorganized thinking

* disorganized speech

Schizophrenia negative symptoms:

* poor self care

* lack of facial expressions and/or meaningful variation in tone of voice

* lack of sociability

* lack of motivation

Autism 'positive' symptoms:

* intense interests

* need for routine

* stimming

* echolalia

* pronoun reversal

* sensory processing issues such as hypersensitivity to touch and sound

Autism 'negative' symptoms:

* lack of sociability

* lack of facial expressions and/or meaningful variation in tone of voice

* poor self-care

* lack of motivation in areas not intrinsically interesting to the person

* delayed speech development

* difficulty recognizing facial expressions and/or tone of voice

Although there are a few differences (and some areas where I just don't have enough info to make a proper comparison), the negative symptoms generally both fall into social and self-care domains, and are basically mostly the same. The positive symptoms are totally different. The only real overlap is that schizophrenia 'disorganized speech' can sometimes include echolalia.

The biggest difference in negative symptoms between schizophrenia and autism is age of onset. Autism always starts at birth or in the first few years of life, while schizophrenia usually has onset in late teens or early twenties (negative symptoms can appear a year or two before positive symptoms, or shortly after positive symptoms develop). However, in rare cases, schizophrenia can have onset in childhood, with some children apparently even experiencing schizophrenia symptoms in infancy. (Jani Schofield, a famous kid with childhood schizophrenia, seems to be hallucinating even in baby videos.) Childhood schizophrenia also tends to come with a stronger overlap with autism.

It's also possible to have both autism and schizophrenia. Both diagnoses are made if someone was typically autistic throughout childhood, with no signs of schizophrenia, and then later (in later childhood, adolescence or adulthood) develops clear schizophrenic positive symptoms along with an increase in severity of negative symptoms.

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Feb 2016, 12:29 am

The negative symptoms of schizophrenia are similar to the symptoms of autism such as flat affect, poor communication skills, poor executive function or poor hygiene habits. Most people with autism do not experience the positive symptoms of schizophrenia such as hallucinations or delusions.

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2016, 11:59 pm

blessedbethyname wrote:
There is childhood schizophrenia. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20029260

Language delays
Late or unusual crawling
Late walking
Other abnormal motor behaviors — for example, rocking or arm flapping

Some of these signs and symptoms are also common in children with pervasive developmental disorders, such as autism spectrum disorders. So ruling out these developmental disorders is one of the first steps in diagnosis.

It defines childhood schizophrenia as a "severe brain disorder in which the children interpret reality abnormally."

I don't know if this helps. But, I know of someone who had childhood schizophrenia and became a psychiatric nurse later.

You're only 12 years old and exhibit a high level of maturity and intelligence.

Happy Holidays!

I think OP meant it was the first compliment since he or she was 12 years old. I think they used the wrong tense for the being verb.