Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 10:24 am

Does anyone else have OCD? I do, I have counting rituals. I used to be afraid of dirt but exposure therapy really helped me with that. Just wondering if any others have OCD.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Dec 2015, 3:21 pm

I used to have it bad before I started taking Neurontin/Gabapentin which helps it alot. I went through a lot of different phases with it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2015, 1:28 pm

Glad Neurotin is helping you. I used to take it but than it stopped working.

ZD
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 9:38 pm

I always wondered if I have OCD, when it's just in your head? not physical

I re-run stuff all the time in my head usually music but some times i have a dream on repeat.

I lose hours at work sometime trying to snap out of it :S

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 10:05 pm

I was diagnosed with OCD. I believe I still suffer from OCD, but I am certainly in regression. I think I've had OCD since I was 6 years old. I can remember myself thinking that if I don't do something a certain way then something good won't happen. Like, if I don't run up the stairs without breathing then mother will not buy me a book. It is certainly not rational thinking, and I knew/know that, but it is hard to explain.

I like schedules and having my own place (spot, chair etc.), I have 'germ OCD' as well.

I think my OCD will be come much less severe, but I believe I'll always remain a quirky individual. Sometimes it is hard to discern whether me not wanting to touch something is part of my 'germ OCD' or me being sensitive to certain textures due to autism.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Dec 2015, 11:30 pm

Butterfly88 wrote:
How long were you on it before it stopped working? I've been on it for 3 & a half to 4 years & I take 400mg 3x a day.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 11:36 pm

I do. At school I can't stop "peeling off" my eraser with my fingers. I also rub off my hair (on the head) root with my nails when I'm stressed.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 8:33 am

DailyPoutine1 wrote:
I do. At school I can't stop "peeling off" my eraser with my fingers. I also rub off my hair (on the head) root with my nails when I'm stressed.

Do you feel an uncontrollable impulse to peel your eraser or rub off your hair? That could just be you stimming. Are you diagnosed with OCD?

I tried to take medication for OCD but it had negative health and mental health effects. I tried Luvox, Prozac and Zoloft. While using those medications I felt like I wasn't myself. It didn't really help my OCD either.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 3:31 pm

I have OCD related to germs. I used to have checking rituals, and I used to be a compulsive hoarder. I have been able to overcome the checking and hoarding, but have not had as much success with my fear of germs.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2015, 9:50 am

I was diagnosed with it when I was three. I have so many mental disorders that it's hard to know which symptoms go with which disorder, but OCD is probably the one I have the most under control, although it undoubtedly contributes to my severe depression. Ever since I changed my medication, I haven't been worrying about everything as much, which I used to do every minute of every day. It's been replaced by a general hatred of life, so I'm not sure if that's better...

creepycrawly36
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2015, 5:43 pm

I check the stove over an over, 3 (sometimes over if I get distracted and forget if I have done all 3) times when I am leaving the house or going to bed. To various microorganisms, not that I know them that well, I used to clean incessantly, wash my hands and arms every hour, shower 4 times a day, clean house, etc etc, but I have it somewhat under control. I like my bedroom organized the way I like it, but have come about to a certain amount of flexibility.

carpenter_bee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Dec 2015, 3:31 pm

I had mild OCD throughout childhood and into adulthood, but it got better (without medication) I think simply because I was unable to indulge it when life got a lot busier. I call it "mild" because I don't think I could have ignored the urges as easily as I do if it had been more severe. Mine has to do with counting, patterns, equalizing. I would do stuff like have to step on each stair a certain number of times, and if I "missed" one, I'd have the uncontrollable need to go back and tap that step "just in case". The only one I still do every single time is that I "have" to have my feet not touching the floor of an aircraft during takeoff and landing. Again, "just in case". When I was a kid I also had a lot of repetitive counting and recycling of pieces of phrases and music snippets, but I think that's more about "spectrum" stuff than specifically OCD.

My son (8) has the same counting, pattern, and equalizing urges, but his is more severe and interferes greatly with his daily life. I remember he used to have meltdowns as early as age 3 about things like his chair being lined up at the table "correctly". He has unpredictable rules about patterns of speech and pretty much every aspect of daily life. We are actively fighting it together now and it's really, really difficult. Knowing it's irrational is helpful, but it's very hard to convince a kid that moving into that place of anxiety (by refusing to follow the internal "orders") is actually the way out, and that with practice it will get easier. It's hard enough for an adult to do that, much less a little kid.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 9:03 am

ZD wrote:
I always wondered if I have OCD, when it's just in your head? not physical

I re-run stuff all the time in my head usually music but some times i have a dream on repeat.

I lose hours at work sometime trying to snap out of it :S

It can just be in your head, the counting I do is in my head.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 9:05 am

nick007 wrote:
Butterfly88 wrote:
How long were you on it before it stopped working? I've been on it for 3 & a half to 4 years & I take 400mg 3x a day.

I don't remember exactly how long I was on it but eventually it started agitating me. I was on 1,200 at one point. I take Prozac now and that seems to help.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 11:22 am

It seems that I have OCD at least mildly since like even numbers. Even #'s are safe and when drive over a bump in the road have a fear I have run over someone or " something" besides just " a bump." Something I check sometimes that causes anxiety well it's a minor thing, but check to make sure I locked the front door when go outside, but just check it once not over and over. Also ruminate over past actions such as not changing jobs when wish I would have and regret that I chose job to make parents happy (do this almost daily).

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 12:12 pm

I often have a strong need to double and triple check things. For example, when I'm the last to leave the office, I usually turn around after a mile or to (or even ten or twelve miles) and go back to make sure that the doors are locked, that the water faucets are all turned off, that the toilets aren't running, and that the stove in the office kitchen is turned off.

Yesterday, I ate lunch in a restaurant in a nearby town, the employees were eating when I left. I left the money for the meal and a tip on the counter. Almost immediately after leaving I started to wonder if I left the right amount of money. I managed to resist going back for about an hour, but I did go back and ask them if I got it correct.

When I pay the cashier for the meal, I at least know that I got it right. And if it is a local restaurant where I know everyone, if I had it wrong, they'd just tell me the next time I came in. But in a restaurant I've only been to twice before, I couldn't stand not going back to verify that I gave them the correct money.