Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 11:29 am

I am currently in the process of an ADHD diagnosis. A couple of days ago, my psychiatrist completed the formal assessment with me and my mother and my symptoms are consistent with ADHD. Right now he is starting me with a very small dose of ritalin (5mg 3 times a day) and if my symptoms show some improvement at the end of the two week period then I will be officially diagnosed with ADHD and we can work on a treatment plan that involves a mix of meds and some kind of support network. I really hope for that because it's been very difficult managing with these symptoms and I ultimately want help to have a good handle of things. I understand that I have to be taking these meds for at least two weeks to start seeing the full effects. However I'm worried that I won't see any improvement and that it would all have been for nothing.

I know it's only been two days, but yesterday was actually pretty good. Not euphoric or anything like that. I just felt less frantic and more in control. I seemed to have the willpower to persist with the tasks and I did a pretty good job being consistent and focused. I was even able to work without needing distractions like music. Today, not so much. I did procrastinate quite a bit today and had difficulty staying on task (I also went on a google adventure). That rational self interest I had yesterday seems to have vanished. I know my day started off bad and I'm under a bit of stress trying to complete a commission, which may have added to the whole thing. I don't know what today would have been like off meds, but I doubt it would have been any worse.

If I don't have ADHD, then I'd honestly be really glad but it makes me worried that I don't know what is actually wrong with me. I just feel so discouraged right now. I really want to be able to handle all of this and it just feels like I am taking one step forward and a million steps backwards.

I know meds can't cure or get rid of all ADHD symptoms. I just get so tired of hitting the same wall over and over again and having to white knuckle through my life. I realise I'm probably overreacting and I know my doctor is going to do his best to help me.

I dunno, I guess I'm a bit bummed out. I just want this to work, y'know? Is this something others have had to go through on here?

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2016, 11:18 am

That is an odd way to diagnose a patient by relying on whether or not the lowest dose of a single medication works or not. I tried many ADHD meds including Ritalin until I found one that really worked, Adderall XR, unfortunately I couldnt tolerate the side effects. Might as well just tell your doctor that the meds help in some areas but not a whole lot in others, and ask to try a higher dose. Don't tell him they don't work at all. It is kinda dumb to expect that a lone medication will help you at the lowest dose possible.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2016, 1:35 pm

Noca wrote:
That is an odd way to diagnose a patient by relying on whether or not the lowest dose of a single medication works or not. I tried many ADHD meds including Ritalin until I found one that really worked, Adderall XR, unfortunately I couldnt tolerate the side effects. Might as well just tell your doctor that the meds help in some areas but not a whole lot in others, and ask to try a higher dose. Don't tell him they don't work at all. It is kinda dumb to expect that a lone medication will help you at the lowest dose possible.

Yeah, even he said it was sort of a backwards logic he was using. I guess part of it is to ease me into it.

Today I noticed I managed to get quite a lot of work done and I barely struggled to initiate the task despite dreading it (I generally have a very low frustration tolerance). I spoke with a client for forty minutes and I was able to sustain my attention with ease. I've noticed that the side effects I had have been minimal today (except the reduced appetite), so maybe my body is getting used to it already. I still waste time, but who the hell doesn't?

I think the real reason I was struggling yesterday was because I had a really poor nights sleep (I stupidly didn't space my meds properly). That and I was super hungry and I didn't know until I had my dinner, which almost instantly cured most of my difficulties.

I think I'm expecting way too much from the first couple of days. When I have a plan, I am able to stick to it much better because of these meds. Obviously bad habits don't go away with 15mg of Ritalin a day.

I guess it's like the doctor gave me a neurological tool box and I'm not sure what to do with it. That makes sense. I guess I just need to be a bit more patient and just have faith that whatever the outcome that I will get the help I need.

So I guess I am seeing about as much of a difference as one would expect when starting any low dose of anything so yeah, I guess I can't complain.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2016, 7:21 pm

Do you find it affects your mood at all? Does your mood go down when your dose wears off?

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 3:04 am

Noca wrote:
Do you find it affects your mood at all? Does your mood go down when your dose wears off?

No, not really.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 10:26 am

MindBlind wrote:
Noca wrote:

No, not really.

That is good then. Stims always made my mood rollercoaster.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 11:58 am

Noca wrote:
MindBlind wrote:
Noca wrote:

No, not really.

That is good then. Stims always made my mood rollercoaster.

That sounds really awful. I heard that methylphenidate is similar to cocaine for some people, which I guess makes sense because they're both stimulants. What were you taking ritalin for anyway? Are you diagnosed with ADHD or was it for something else? I know it can be used for narcolepsy and even as an unofficial anti-depressant.

I'm noticing that today I noticed an obvious shift in my mind an hour after taking my pill. I definitely felt more focused and in control and I was better able to get things done. I did, however, forget to do some things I was asked to do, but I managed to remember them and get them completed. I didn't feel euphoric or super duper motivated - I just felt like I had a bit more willpower. Apparently that's consistent with ADHD so I hope that means that the treatment is working. I have another week to see how it affects my ability to function compared to off meds.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 6:37 pm

Ritalin made me feel jittery and awake and energized but it wasnt great for concentration. I have been diagnosed with ADHD-pi before I got my Asperger's diagnosis. I tried lots of meds for it before calling it quits. Methylphenidate IR, Methlyphenidate SR, Concerta, Dexedrine IR, Adderall IR, Adderall XR, and Vyvanse. I found Adderall XR was a game changer, my marks went from C's to straight A+, in addition to temporarily curing my social anxiety. Your mileage may vary of course.

Unfortunately all stims made my mood rollercoaster, surpressed my appetite and worst of all altered my taste of food so that almost every item of food ended up tasting like cardboard. When the Adderall XR kicked in I turned into superman and when it wore off I descended into hell each night. It was as close to NZT from the movie Limitless as I have ever come across.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 7:38 pm

Noca wrote:
Ritalin made me feel jittery and awake and energized but it wasnt great for concentration. I have been diagnosed with ADHD-pi before I got my Asperger's diagnosis. I tried lots of meds for it before calling it quits. Methylphenidate IR, Methlyphenidate SR, Concerta, Dexedrine IR, Adderall IR, Adderall XR, and Vyvanse. I found Adderall XR was a game changer, my marks went from C's to straight A+, in addition to temporarily curing my social anxiety. Your mileage may vary of course.

Unfortunately all stims made my mood rollercoaster, surpressed my appetite and worst of all altered my taste of food so that almost every item of food ended up tasting like cardboard. When the Adderall XR kicked in I turned into superman and when it wore off I descended into hell each night. It was as close to NZT from the movie Limitless as I have ever come across.

Even on a low dose?

I heard that stimulants can be bad for people with aspergers and it is preferred to use something like strattera instead. That being said many aspies so fine with stimulants so I suppose your mileage may vary.

It's a shame you had such a dramatic reaction to stims. Could it be because you have the predominantly inattentive subtype? My shrink thinks I may be combined subtype but that's only because of the hyperactivity I had as a child. I have some hyperactivity as an adult but not enough to meet the criteria for the adult section. I definitely have inattentiveness. The doc doesn't know where I fit in.

I never knew that stims could affect taste. I never noticed a difference with taste. I've never had such a dramatic response to Ritalin, which is very fortunate for me.

A little update for today: I am continuing to notice the benefits of Ritalin (even if it's not a dramatic difference). I'm still struggling with some things but I knew that was a given. I'm a bit disappointed that I'm still slower than I'd like to be on projects but I think part of that is my perfectionism and afear of failure. Apparently that's really a common thing in ADHD.

I'm hoping that if it is ADHD (which seems more and more likely) then I hope I can have regular sessions with a therapist to help me with that sort of thing as well as the meds, obviously.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 7:36 pm

The effects of stims can range wildly from patient to patient. I have a female asperger friend with ADHD and Adderall puts her to sleep. The taste alteration is a rare side effect though one that is documented. Even lower doses couldn't avoid those side effects I listed for me.