Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2016, 1:24 pm

From what I've been reading so far, research and studies of people with comorbids is still way in its infancy. It's one thing to be autistic, and another to have anxiety, and still another to be bipolar or suffer from BPD. But when you mix these disparate conditions together, the result is a mixture that psychiatrists and psychologists often find impossible to treat, let alone attach a name to.

In my belief, this admixture actually creates a new condition which remains unnamed and, therefore, untreatable. My health workers are up against the wall trying to treat me because I'm autistic and suffer from PTSD and bipolar disorder as well as undiagnosed BPD and AvPD. How the hell do you treat someone with a Jackson Pollock painting for a brain? You don't. You just let him act out, get arrested, and either get shot to death on the street by the police or spend the rest of his life in a prison or psychiatric center.

Of course, folks with comorbids are so prone to suicide that, in the end, does it really matter?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 1:25 am

^There are disorders I suspect I have but haven't been diagnosed with, but I don't treat any of them as definite diagnoses because well, I'm not a doctor. I *suspect* I at least have traits of BPD, AvPD, PTSD, and PDA, but I've never been diagnosed with any of them. There's also ADHD which I wasn't really diagnosed with, but that my neuropsychologist saw traits of in me, enough to recommend I go on Strattera.

Of all these, PDA is the one I suspect the most strongly, since it is a form of autism, and I definitely identify with most of the symptoms. I don't know if it's even a diagnosis on this side of the Atlantic, or if would simply be considered redundant.
http://www.autism.org.uk/about/what-is/pda.aspx

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 1:36 pm

Pathological Demand Avoidance - new one on me and definitely one I've never encountered in the American canon. It's interesting how all these mood & personality disorders intersect. To wit:

Resists and avoids the ordinary demands of life - PTSD, AvPD, ADHD, Executive Function Disorder, depression
Appearing sociable, but lacking depth in understanding - Asperger's, Autism, Social Anxiety Disorder
Excessive mood swings and impulsivity - Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder
Comfortable in role play and pretend, sometimes to an extreme extent - Peter Pan Syndrome, social immaturity
Language delay, often with good degree of catch-up - Autism
Obsessive behaviour, often focused on people. - OCD, Asperger's Syndrome

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2016, 10:42 am

I'd like to think of myself as a person in mostly perfect health, but I could probably have features of Asperger's, some anxiety and have a medical condition which is fortunately under control with medication. I don't want to disclose it, even under the relative anonymity of an internet screen name, because I don't want to jeopardize the gains I've made over the past couple of years.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 3:32 pm

Depression
Anxiety
Agoraphobia

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 5:32 pm

ASD
ADD
Tourette Syndrome

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 5:44 pm

I have had a bunch of them.

Eating disorder
Asperger's
OCD
Anxiety
ADD
Adjustment Disorder
Language processing disorder
Auditory Processing disorder
sensory processing issues
dyspraxia
Language disorder
Cognitive disorder NOS
Communication disorder NOS

And some I have gotten from my mother:

social anxiety (I have suspected it in myself and think I have some of it)
PTSD or delayed reaction
Addictive personality
Eating disorder

I also wonder if I have some PDA because that would explain some of my anxiety and why I get stressed out doing things that was demanded and I will purposely avoid doing it until I do it under my own time. But mine isn't strong enough for me to say I suffer this condition so anxiety is the only way to describe it but if affects me enough to cause me friction but it doesn't hold me back but it's annoying. I do wonder if anxiety pills helps with PDA?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Benzoboss
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Dec 2016, 11:03 pm

They labeled me whit pdd-nos later classic(i realy think that its aspergers)
Adhd insomnia anxiety
And i think sometimes that i'm a sociopath

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 10:18 am

I had terrible insomnia for two years. During that time, I got absolutely zero sleep.

I am somewhat claustrophobic.

Smell is my greatest sensory issue.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 6:49 pm

I would say I am also somewhat afraid of heights, specifically of falling from a great height.

beingnobody
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Dec 2016, 12:39 am

New member, first contribution. I have Aspergers, dissociative identity disorder, schizotypal personality, social anxiety, bipolar and dysthemia. This is the worse time of year for me. The chronic persistent depression, right now is pernicious; if I were a gun person I probably would have painted my brains on the sky last night it was so bad. The next two days are going to be brutal

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 12:33 pm

A recent interview I had with the DSHS psychologist netted me four new diagnoses.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Major Depressive Disorder
Cocaine Dependence Disorder
Alcohol Dependence Disorder

So, to add these to my Bipolar Disorder, PTSD, Autism and possible BPD, it's a wonder I'm still alive. Maybe some of my disorders are cancelling out the severity of others.

StreakofEmerald
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2017, 7:47 pm

Quite so:

1. Anxiety
2. OCD
3. Asperger's Syndrome
4. Trichotillomania

slimeprince
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Feb 2017, 8:17 pm

I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder at 14 and have been considering autism spectrum disorder since i was about 15 (my anxiety and family situation prevents me from getting a diagnosis but i am going to seek one once i'm 18 and away from my parents).
I also have been strongly suspecting that I have borderline personality disorder for about a year and my doctor has suggested that i may have depression and ADD/ADHD (but personally i mostly attribute those traits to autism and BPD; if i have ADD/ADHD it's very "mild").
And of course I have the fun little comorbid things that just happen when you're mentally ill like skin picking and misophonia :/

so the "full list" as far as i'm concerned is:
generalized anxiety
autism
BPD
depression/dysthymia
phobias (~3 or 4)

The Powerpuff Girls
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Feb 2017, 2:18 pm

Autism (Asperger's)
Avoidand Personality Disorder (AVPD)