Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 1:32 am

So it happened again - therapy was just another progress report.
Which especially hacked me off considering I'm doing my upmost right now not to just repeat, a la ---> viewtopic.php?t=357229 this strategy.
And progress reporting just repeated the same issues. Grr.
Other than that, I still don't see how this could possibly be helpful. I'm wondering again if I'm actually impossible to counsel (as has been cited in alexithymics), that this therapist is not doing this properly, or I am in the wrong approach or therapy type.
I'm thinking it's the latter.
So. The reason I am there - I have consistently had problems getting my life together. Some of it is autism, some of it is/was being trans. I cannot hold a job and can't seem to find the right direction in career, I cannot attain complete independence from my relatives and I have huge problems with them, because of both of these and because of being trans I have financial problems, which means I have no money available to solve my transitional problems. Secondarily I cannot have relationships and am severely alexithymic, which is related to the autism.
I assumed that this was because of some problem with me, with my behaviour or thinking.
What I wanted from therapy - I wanted an outside perspective of someone who is trained in psychology/psychotherapy, I wanted a dialogue so I could work out what, exactly, I am doing wrong and how to rectify it so I can change and pursue life more successfully, and in a way I wanted advice and insight. To talk with someone about these issues, not just talk at someone.
In a way I am seeking input, not output. I already well know what my issues are, there is no point in endlessly reiterating them - what I need is help solving or changing these issues, and for someone with more knowledge than me to be able to help identify and fix problematic thought processes and behaviours.
Does that read like an unreasonable expectation?
Because I'm sure as hell not getting that in therapy, and never have.
All I do is go in and repeat my problems - all the therapist basically does is nod. I'm doing a bit of research on different approaches that may be more useful for me than this "talk therapy" (perhaps this is too nebulous, to diffuse for me to understand the procedure and be able to perceive progress being made?) but so far, of the enquiries I have made, nothing has come back favourably. They all seem vague about being able to handle someone atypical like me, and the fees are extortionate. Of the few alternatives I have tried, the same thing happened - I talked about the same old issues, but got nothing in response about how to address them.
So. Anyone who is in some kind of therapy - what type is it? What are you there to address? Has the therapy helped you to actually solve your problems or reform your behaviour to a recognizably positive outcome? How does it proceed, and how is it structured? Was this explained to you? Does the therapist provide education, dialogue and feedback, or just sit and nod? have you tried other types of therapy that were not suitable? What types were they, and how did you know it wasn't working for you?
I really want to improve, but I feel like this is just pointless.

Kelby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 4:33 pm

It's great that you want to move forward, and, you are aware that your therapist isn't the right match for you. I would make a list of what you want in a therapist/what you want to get out of therapy, then pursue finding a therapist who focus' on helping their clients reach their potential/goals. In essence, by focusing on reaching your goals, you will be shifting your focus and thoughts to something highly productive and positive! As opposed to staying 'stuck in the continuous examination of what you may, or may not need to change about yourself. Onward...!