Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

GuyInABlackSuit
Raven
Raven

17 Jun 2018, 10:33 pm

I'm an aspiring actor/writer, and I have a character named Ed Rocks, which I plan to take to Netflix.
Right now the character is an escape from reality.
I will talk to myself pretending to be Rocks or any of his friends to escape from reality. I get so caught up in that that whenever my name gets called, or my case manager comes, usually unexpectedly, I get agitated because I want to have that nice escape but these people are here ruining my escape.
Other things include watching YouTube videos, usually animated.
And watching old Disney channel shows often tend to do the same thing.
Oh, and posting stuff on Google+, G@G, and this forum for long periods of time.
They are nice escapes, as I tend to get so swept up in the moment that I get agitated when real life kicks in.
I tend to get agitated especially when it comes to schoolwork, because every time I talk to myself, every day I do so, is another day I am not doing homework. And I also don't want to do any homework when I am feeling cuddly and cuddle with my 6' stuffed dog (I only keep it cos it makes me comfortable and...secure at night.) and cuddle and sweet-talk it like I would a GF.
But as far as the escapes go... is this a sign of schizophrenia? If there is anyone else who does that, even the adults, do you have schizophrenia?
Because I'm usually aware I'm escaping from reality, and don't talk to myself like that when I'm out in public. And even if I do, I mutter it so people don't hear me.
But I AM aware of the world I live in and the escape from reality are two different things, so I don't think I should be worried?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 11:22 am

No, I don't think you should be worried----and, I don't think you have schizophrenia. I don't have schizophrenia, but I think that people who do, don't know they're doing those things.

I've read several of your posts, and I think it's quite likely / simply that you're escaping and finding things that comfort you, because your life is so sucky, right now. I did the same type of things when I was your age, cuz, like you, my life was quite sucky (ie, abusive mother, etc.).

I pray that you continue to find things that are a comfort to you, until you are able to escape your current situation, for REAL.

GuyInABlackSuit
Raven
Raven

18 Jun 2018, 1:12 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
No, I don't think you should be worried----and, I don't think you have schizophrenia. I don't have schizophrenia, but I think that people who do, don't know they're doing those things.

I've read several of your posts, and I think it's quite likely / simply that you're escaping and finding things that comfort you, because your life is so sucky, right now. I did the same type of things when I was your age, cuz, like you, my life was quite sucky (ie, abusive mother, etc.).

I pray that you continue to find things that are a comfort to you, until you are able to escape your current situation, for REAL.

Yea... that sounds about right.
I really don't worry about that.
I was just wondering if my talking to myself habit would lead to schizophrenia during adulthood.
Thanks for your insight.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 1:20 pm

There’s a saying that if you think or are worried that you are going insane, you cannot possibly be going insane. The reason for this is that in psychosis, the part of the brain responsible for retaining this insight that sees if something is “wrong” is destroyed even before any symptoms have set in. People who are/are going psychotic have no idea that they are psychotic (unless they are taking antipsychotics). They could be having full-blown hallucinations and delusions and feel as though everyone else are the ones with something pathological. Your “symptoms” that you described also do not fit the clinical picture of schizophrenia. It’s possible that you may have anxiety that is causing you to question your sanity, though. I’ve been diagnosed with OCD, and I’ve struggled with the severe obsession that I am going schizophrenic or bipolar for over two years now, despite having many doctors tell me that there is no possible way I am going insane.

I also agree with Campin_Cat that your character and your forms of escape are a coping mechanism for dealing with your current situation. I really hope you are able to get out of it soon. As for now, I recommend trying not to react to the thoughts that you may be going insane. Don’t Google, don’t post them on here (unless you really need reassurance- I know how horrible that can feel), don’t ask anyone. Just do your best to ignore them and distract yourself. The more you pay attention to the intrusive thoughts, the more likely they will spiral out of control and you will still be worried.

Hope this helps :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 1:22 pm

GuyInABlackSuit wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

Yea... that sounds about right.
I really don't worry about that.
I was just wondering if my talking to myself habit would lead to schizophrenia during adulthood.
Thanks for your insight.

Talking to yourself isn’t actually a major symptom of schizophrenia. Talking to audible voices only you can hear that are saying negative things, sure. But quite a lot of people talk to themselves and have nothing wrong with their brains.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 1:38 pm

Stampy has a nice brain :)

She's done plenty of research on this---and has at least a pretty good knowledge of this.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 1:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Stampy has a nice brain :)

She's done plenty of research on this---and has at least a pretty good knowledge of this.

Thank you :) ! !

Although I wish I could put that knowledge into medical disorders I’m not actually scared of :( .

How are you?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 1:46 pm

I'm all right.

I wish that, too.

Are you practicing had these days? Imagine if you could get into Julliard?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 1:50 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm all right.

I wish that, too.

Are you practicing had these days? Imagine if you could get into Julliard?

I am practicing! :D I’m not sure if I’ll ever be good enough to get into a school like that, but maybe!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 1:51 pm

Go for it---if you feel the desire.

As for the OP-----that's what authors do all the time: create characters from their imaginations, and even "become" that character. Par for the course!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 1:58 pm

GuyInABlackSuit wrote:

No, I don't think it will. I think it's possible that most of us ASDers talk to ourselves----if, for no other reason, than because we (many of us) don't have any friends; plus, I think it's a way, sometimes, to, like, organize our thoughts.

Also, I agree with Stampy, in that it's only bad if you are responding to voices that only you can hear.

Sidebar: How are you, Stampy, my friend? I haven't seen you in awhile. I feel my life has been enriched, because I "know" you, and I've missed reading your posts!!

GuyInABlackSuit
Raven
Raven

18 Jun 2018, 2:09 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
There’s a saying that if you think or are worried that you are going insane, you cannot possibly be going insane. The reason for this is that in psychosis, the part of the brain responsible for retaining this insight that sees if something is “wrong” is destroyed even before any symptoms have set in. People who are/are going psychotic have no idea that they are psychotic (unless they are taking antipsychotics). They could be having full-blown hallucinations and delusions and feel as though everyone else are the ones with something pathological. Your “symptoms” that you described also do not fit the clinical picture of schizophrenia. It’s possible that you may have anxiety that is causing you to question your sanity, though. I’ve been diagnosed with OCD, and I’ve struggled with the severe obsession that I am going schizophrenic or bipolar for over two years now, despite having many doctors tell me that there is no possible way I am going insane.

I also agree with Campin_Cat that your character and your forms of escape are a coping mechanism for dealing with your current situation. I really hope you are able to get out of it soon. As for now, I recommend trying not to react to the thoughts that you may be going insane. Don’t Google, don’t post them on here (unless you really need reassurance- I know how horrible that can feel), don’t ask anyone. Just do your best to ignore them and distract yourself. The more you pay attention to the intrusive thoughts, the more likely they will spiral out of control and you will still be worried.

Thanks for your amazing insight.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 4:17 pm

GuyInABlackSuit wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Thanks for your amazing insight.

No problem! I hope you are doing well. :D

Campin_Cat wrote:
Sidebar: How are you, Stampy, my friend? I haven't seen you in awhile. I feel my life has been enriched, because I "know" you, and I've missed reading your posts!!

Thank you so much :D ! That means a lot to me. The past week I was on a vacation, and I am finally done with school for the year! I am going to high school next year, which is really unbelievable- school seems to be going by so fast. My life has definitely been enriched by reading your posts as well. You were one of the first people who I would always look forward to reading their posts whilst I was lurking on here a few years ago, and you still are :lol: ! How are you?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 4:30 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
As for now, I recommend trying not to react to the thoughts that you may be going insane. Don’t Google, don’t post them on here (unless you really need reassurance- I know how horrible that can feel), don’t ask anyone. Just do your best to ignore them and distract yourself. The more you pay attention to the intrusive thoughts, the more likely they will spiral out of control and you will still be worried.

With advice like this, you sound like you've come a long way Stampy - really nice to read that.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 10:24 am

SaveFerris wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
As for now, I recommend trying not to react to the thoughts that you may be going insane. Don’t Google, don’t post them on here (unless you really need reassurance- I know how horrible that can feel), don’t ask anyone. Just do your best to ignore them and distract yourself. The more you pay attention to the intrusive thoughts, the more likely they will spiral out of control and you will still be worried.

With advice like this, you sound like you've come a long way Stampy - really nice to read that.

Unfortunately I can’t follow my own advice :lol: . But I’m trying! :D

Sciencelover4ever
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jun 2018, 10:36 am

No, I definitely do not think you need to be worried. I do the same thing -- pretend I am a certain character or that I am somewhere else with different (and often imaginary) people. I, too, quite enjoy doing this and get upset if it is interrupted. As long as you are aware of reality and escaping in such a manner makes you happy, helps you, and doesn't involve hurting yourself or others I think you are (and will continue to be) totally fine.
The technical term for this is "maladaptive daydreaming", but, despite the name, there is nothing wrong with it unless it causes distress. All it means is that there is something in the "real world" that affects you negatively, so you use daydreaming as a way to escape. My guess is that the name "maladaptive daydreaming" is a term that comes from neurotypicals, as many of us folks with autism who do this are quite happy. As a matter of fact, I think any form of daydreaming is a hallmark for a well-developed imagination and creativity.