Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

soldersplash
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Feb 2016, 11:32 am

Hello all,
Have any adult Aspie/HFA folk who suffer major depression ever had Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT)? And was it any use?

After many months of struggling with depression and being bounced from one dept to another I finally have been given access to 12wks of therapy on the NHS. They've come to the conclusion that IPT should be of help to me and from what I've read about it I tend to agree and am quite pleased/relieved to finally have some hope of a useful therapy (esp. in terms of lasting benefit, not just short term relief). The alternative (at least in this dept.) would have been CBT; which I've not found very useful in the past and from what I've found researching online CBT often isn't very effective with Aspies/HFA's.
kind regards,
Soldersplash.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 8:09 pm

Haven't had IPT, but CBT doesn't work for me either.

soldersplash
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2016, 6:24 pm

Bump! Has no one experienced Interpersonal Psychotherapy? I can't be the first, surely? :o

Avicenna
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jun 2018, 1:55 am

There is nothing in the scientific literature about IPT Autism, though I believe it could be highly effective on an extended basis not in a 12 week format

grahambaster
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2018, 12:03 pm

In my experience I've always learned something from different therapeutic modalities. I haven't ever heard of IPT although I know that it can feel good to get started in something new that shows promise. I'm in a RO-DBT program which is hypothesized to treat ASD's and feeling hopeful.