Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 3:19 pm

For those living with depression most/all of the time, how good are you at realising when your depression's gotten worse? Sometimes I drop into a deeper depression and no matter how many times I experience it, it always takes me a good long while to realise that that is what's going on.

For example, I've been feeling down and despondent for a while now. I realised today as I was showering at the gym that I hadn't showered since Tuesday. So now I'm looking back at the past two weeks and realising that all the apathy and nightmares and tearfulness and not bothering to eat and lack of self respect might actually have been signs of a deeper depression.

I'm wondering if there's a way to spot the signs more quickly. That's not to say that I'd be able to stop it from happening, but sometimes it helps just to be able to give the problem a name. Otherwise I just assume that I've become an awful person and somehow gotten even worse at looking after myself, which causes me to hate myself more.

I feel as if this post isn't particularly well constructed but if anyone can actually decipher it, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and experiences.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Sep 2019, 3:50 pm

I've learned to sense and realize when my thinking becomes distorted.
On the other hand, I still struggle to realize that I'm exhausted before the things get really serious and I get social anxiety and depression symptoms.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 4:07 pm

It’s a very well-constructed post.

What I sense is that you seem to feel like you’re in a quagmire, and are reaching out for help.

It’s hard to maintain equilibrium when you have an eating disorder, and don’t take in enough nutrients....and exercise obsessively to boot.

What I’m sensing is that, perhaps, your eating disorder should be the condition which receives the most attention now.

At least you finally did take a shower at the gym.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Sep 2019, 2:07 am

You mentioned not eating - not eating contributes to depression. I easily forget to eat and after a missing meal I don't feel hungry, I feel unloved instead.
Try to put meals and hygiene into your routine so lack of them doesn't contribute to putting you down further.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 9:36 am

Depression does tend to sneak up on you - and by the time you've sunken into it, you're too foggy and numb to realize what's going on. Mood charting can help (which I'm getting back into now, since I've had the same problem lately!)

Hope things take a turn for the better soon.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 7:26 pm

racheypie666 wrote:
For those living with depression most/all of the time, how good are you at realising when your depression's gotten worse?

Not good at recognizing when depression is getting worse

But depression is always getting better, the same or worse

It is not so theatrical or dramatic

Sometimes I drop into a deeper depression and no matter how many times I experience it, it always takes me a good long while to realise that that is what's going on.

Yes but I still can't do anything about it

For example, I've been feeling down and despondent for a while now. I realised today as I was showering at the gym that I hadn't showered since Tuesday.

So now I'm looking back at the past two weeks and realising that all the apathy and nightmares and tearfulness and not bothering to eat and lack of self respect might actually have been signs of a deeper depression.

"Apathy"? Equanimity could be a good thing

"Not bothering to eat" I wish I had that problem

You can't measure "respect". Quite frankly, it seems, to me, that most precious lil "people" are so full of themselves and "respect" themselves too much

They act like the latest greatest thing since sliced bread s**t

I'm wondering if there's a way to spot the signs more quickly.

Keep a journal

That's not to say that I'd be able to stop it from happening, but sometimes it helps just to be able to give the problem a name. Otherwise I just assume that I've become an awful person and somehow gotten even worse at looking after myself, which causes me to hate myself more.

Everyone is "awful" sometimes

What is "awful" is subjective

I feel as if this post isn't particularly well constructed but if anyone can actually decipher it, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and experiences.

The post is constructed in a way that does not require deciphering. It is not hieroglyphics