Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

travelerrr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2019, 8:39 pm

Maybe I've watched too much House MD and my expectations aren't realistic?

Or maybe there are people who can diagnose the underlying causes of hardcore depression that's been with me for many many years?

I don't mean just trying the handful of approved psych meds. I mean actually diagnosing what could be the cause.

Does anyone know any doctors who actually diagnose those things?

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 10:03 pm

travelerrr wrote:

Or maybe there are people who can diagnose the underlying causes of hardcore depression that's been with me for many many years?

I don't mean just trying the handful of approved psych meds. I mean actually diagnosing what could be the cause.

Have you had your testosterone levels checked?

travelerrr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2019, 11:05 am

Noca wrote:
travelerrr wrote:

Testosterone and thyroid panel, sure

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 2:18 pm

travelerrr wrote:
Noca wrote:
travelerrr wrote:

Testosterone and thyroid panel, sure

Do you have any other symptoms besides depression?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 2:57 pm

It is impossible to do a controlled experiment

So I don't think it's possible to determine the "cause" of your depression

But if it were possible, it is certain to cost a lot of $$$$$$

travelerrr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2019, 4:25 pm

Noca wrote:

I have most symptoms *of* depression.

crappy sleep, eating disorder, lack of energy, etc etc. there are times it gets worse, other times it gets better.

that's in addition to the "depression symptoms" that cause people to suggest that i get up and go for a walk, or exercise, or eat healthy, or meditate, or just snap out of it

i put on weight easily and it's hell getting it off. my metabolism seems snailish. recently i started to get constipated.

had occasional issues with cholesterol and elevated bp. both can be addressed with strict keto diet and exercise.

of course, the fundamental question is, why bother? we're all going to die, for every frog that falls in cream and churns butter, there's probably a 1000 frogs that fall in water or something worse, and they all spend their final hours in exhausting efforts that will ultimately bring no fruit.

travelerrr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2019, 4:26 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:

But if it were possible, it is certain to cost a lot of $$$$$$

I'm guessing you're also in the US. Yes, of course, here even a rabies shot can bankrupt someone.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 5:31 pm

travelerrr wrote:
Noca wrote:

I have most symptoms *of* depression.

crappy sleep, eating disorder, lack of energy, etc etc. there are times it gets worse, other times it gets better.

that's in addition to the "depression symptoms" that cause people to suggest that i get up and go for a walk, or exercise, or eat healthy, or meditate, or just snap out of it

i put on weight easily and it's hell getting it off. my metabolism seems snailish. recently i started to get constipated.

had occasional issues with cholesterol and elevated bp. both can be addressed with strict keto diet and exercise.

of course, the fundamental question is, why bother? we're all going to die, for every frog that falls in cream and churns butter, there's probably a 1000 frogs that fall in water or something worse, and they all spend their final hours in exhausting efforts that will ultimately bring no fruit.

I know there is a number of thyroid tests you can do, I read somewhere that they don't regularly test for T3 and T4 in the US. Theres a member on this board who has a thyroid disease that wasn't picked up on commonly run thyroid tests. Nothing really jumps out at me from your symptoms.

If you don't have anything to be depressed about then I would try to pursue other treatments for your depression if I were you. I don't know what medications you have tried, have you trialed a lot of them already? I came across a post on SAS of a member who suffered pretty severe chronic depression, tried deep brain stimulation and had a 180° turn around in his life because of the successful treatment. Maybe look for clinical trials of it in your area in order to get it for free? Maybe try ketamine? Who knows what you can afford in the US with your s**t healthcare system you guys have there.

Here is the thread I was referring to if you want to read about this guy's outcome of DBS. It sounds like quite a dramatic turn around.
https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/fo ... i-2138138/

travelerrr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jul 2019, 9:17 pm

So the answer is no, no one here has encountered any doctors who would comprehensively diagnose depression House-style?

Yes I know that there's T3 and reverse T3, and all that. I've had that tested, nothing was wildly out of range.

I am not at the point of having an electrode implanted in my brain. I know there are less intrusive options: TMS and its varieties, I also know there's a promise of FMT - which sounds like the cure for all my problems, and of course it's not available unless I have c difficile disease - which I probably don't.

What I want is to find a doctor to help me along the way. I am so tired dragging myself along, and to what end??

How come Beck Weathers can stockholm syndrome his wife into sending him a f*****g rescue helicopter to the top of Mt Everest, but I can't even find a doctor to explore all aspects of depression, physiological or otherwise?

leahbear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jul 2019, 12:38 pm

Sounds like you’re looking for a functional or integrative psychiatrist. Those types of doctors will dig to find the root cause of your problems.

travelerrr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jul 2019, 1:00 pm

leahbear wrote:
Sounds like you’re looking for a functional or integrative psychiatrist. Those types of doctors will dig to find the root cause of your problems.

Interesting, google search reveals a few of those within driving distance. I'll check them out, thank you.

hurley4456
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2019, 8:30 pm

Noca wrote:
travelerrr wrote:

I have testosterone at the upper limit (950 ng/dl) with free testosterone at a decent level (17 ng/dl), yet still suffer low self esteem and depression. My energy is high and I build muscle very easily, but still the depression persists. There is a link between testosterone and depression, however, not a 1-1 relation. I believe neurotransmitter balance and gut health contribute immensely to well being.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Jul 2019, 9:10 pm

hurley4456 wrote:
Noca wrote:
travelerrr wrote:

I have testosterone at the upper limit (950 ng/dl) with free testosterone at a decent level (17 ng/dl), yet still suffer low self esteem and depression. My energy is high and I build muscle very easily, but still the depression persists. There is a link between testosterone and depression, however, not a 1-1 relation. I believe neurotransmitter balance and gut health contribute immensely to well being.
I take a med to lower my testosterone in order to reduce my sex drive, body hair, & stop male-pattern baldness. What's odd is that I find I'm happier with lower testosterone. When I was researching meds to lower my sex drive I read things by other guys who find their happier with lower testosterone as well.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2019, 11:36 pm

There's a lot of things that can lead to depression ranging from diet, lack of sunlight (Vit. D), an emotional upset (one you might not even be aware of), hormones, to just plain genetics. It often accompanies Aspergers like anxiety does. They're all BFFs.

In my case I was basically screwed by genetics. Even if I didn't have Aspergers I'd probably still have depression. Blah

I don't particularly know of anyone that would weed out what it is out of all the options specially if it's a combination of things. Leahbear gave a good starting point I think.

If something can be isolated then you can get more specific like by going to a nutritionist, or like even a nature path.

travelerrr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jul 2019, 9:51 am

nick007 wrote:
I take a med to lower my testosterone in order to reduce my sex drive, body hair, & stop male-pattern baldness. What's odd is that I find I'm happier with lower testosterone. When I was researching meds to lower my sex drive I read things by other guys who find their happier with lower testosterone as well.

Hmm, do you have someone to use your sex drive on?

travelerrr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jul 2019, 9:52 am

Alterity wrote:

In my case I was basically screwed by genetics. Even if I didn't have Aspergers I'd probably still have depression. Blah

I don't particularly know of anyone that would weed out what it is out of all the options specially if it's a combination of things. Leahbear gave a good starting point I think.

If something can be isolated then you can get more specific like by going to a nutritionist, or like even a nature path.

How did you get your genetics figured out?

And what are you doing to feel better? Taking depression meds?