Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Oct 2019, 2:29 pm

Do you have strange phobias or unobvious triggers?
I can start with some of mine:

- Volleyball - repeatative trauma from school;
- Inside of my wrists, I hate being touched there, I have no idea why.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 11:54 am

This makes me sound like an awful person but whenever I see homeless people I almost have a panic attack or can have one. However I know why this is and i's because I've been followed and screamed at in the past, had one person attempt to force me to get a large sum of money out an atm where they cornered me and screamed at me and a couple of days ago was held onto as I tried to walk away as I had nothing.

I also had a weird phobia of a set of lines my sister drew on our table once. The sight of them made me physically ill and I would be filled with an intense fear that made me want to cry. No idea why!

Again this one sounds odd but to an extent, things going well. When I was younger I had a weird belief that things going well for me now must mean either a. it is all actually a lie or b. bad things are coming to balance it because there is some weird plan for me to be unhappy

Lastly there are certain foods that I can suddenly be afraid of. Again, don't really know why because the pattern doesn't make sense ie. I become afraid of one food but not something almost identical.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 1:30 pm

When someone calls himself or herself "people" or "we", they overpower me by outnumbering me. But there is just one of them and one of me

It implies that I am not a person

It implies that they represent precious lil "people"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 1:39 pm

Major trigger events with me are (1) being lied to, and (2) being lied about.

From these, I can also be triggered by someone (3) taking credit for my work, or (4) blaming me for their problems (which are almost always direct results of the choices they have made).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 1:41 pm

Feeling slighted or seeing somebody act nasty towards somebody else for any reason.

Also politics (especially in regards to Donald Trump).

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 1:47 pm

Fnord wrote:

From these, I can also be triggered by someone (3) taking credit for my work, or (4) blaming me for their problems (which are almost always direct results of the choices they have made).

I would consider all quite normal/usual :lol:

magz wrote:
- Inside of my wrists, I hate being touched there, I have no idea why.

I don't like this either, but I have a deep scar on one of them that gives me an "electric shock" type of sensation.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 1:50 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Major trigger events with me are (1) being lied to, and (2) being lied about. From these, I can also be triggered by someone (3) taking credit for my work, or (4) blaming me for their problems (which are almost always direct results of the choices they have made).
I would consider all quite normal/usual.
Maybe the triggers are not unusual, but sometimes my reactions have been a little on the extreme side.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 1:52 pm

It took me nearly all my life until about two or three months ago to work this out. I am hypersensitive to certain smells.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 1:54 pm

Fnord wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Major trigger events with me are (1) being lied to, and (2) being lied about. From these, I can also be triggered by someone (3) taking credit for my work, or (4) blaming me for their problems (which are almost always direct results of the choices they have made).
I would consider all quite normal/usual.
Maybe the triggers are not unusual, but sometimes my reactions have been a little on the extreme side.

Heh, I guess it's why we call them triggers - for me, it makes the difference from annoyed or mildly pissed off to mad as hell/out for blood.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 9:32 pm

Hair... if I see an unattached hair, I hate it and may have a gagging reflex. I don't mind hair on my head, anybody else's head or whatever. But, once it falls out, it's disgusting.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 9:37 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
Hair... if I see an unattached hair, I hate it and may have a gagging reflex. I don't mind hair on my head, anybody else's head or whatever. But, once it falls out, it's disgusting.

A lose hair... Well. It does not make me gag or anything though I hate hair in my mouth. That would make me gag! But more that if I get a lose hair in my clothes, especially if in a sock or under my tee shirt, I find it soo irratating. A cut loose hair after having a haircut is the worst. Feels like a needle scratching me!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2019, 8:14 am

Watching baseball.

I forced myself to watch some stretches of some of the world series games between the Nats and the Astros.

Tried to focus on the machinations between the pitcher and the batter, but ...after about five minutes... I had to turn it off and take a several minute time out to process the toxic emotions caused by bad school time memories, before turning it back on again. One particular moment in phys ed class in highschool, when I was forced to play softball, just severely cripples my ability to watch a baseball game.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2019, 4:18 am

Like the OP, volleyball. Just the thought of it makes me anxious. In school I was very uncoordinated and couldn't even serve a volleyball over the net. So I thought why bother? And refused to play. Earnt my first ever F. The first of many. The PE teacher shouted at me to either play volleyball or leave. So I went to the library. So many kids from that class made fun of me for being unco.

Funny thing is, my older sister is very good at indoor beach volleyball. She has won awards for her skills.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Nov 2019, 4:31 am

renaeden wrote:
Like the OP, volleyball. Just the thought of it makes me anxious. In school I was very uncoordinated and couldn't even serve a volleyball over the net. So I thought why bother? And refused to play. Earnt my first ever F. The first of many. The PE teacher shouted at me to either play volleyball or leave. So I went to the library. So many kids from that class made fun of me for being unco.

Funny thing is, my older sister is very good at indoor beach volleyball. She has won awards for her skills.

High five for being uncoordinated!
I was ok in running and jumping so my PE scores were overall acceptable but anything involving any ball or other external object was always impossible to me.
I'm so glad school curriculum never included video games - this is where my lack of coordination can make people stare, lol :D

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2019, 5:27 am

bees, or anything that looks like or sounds like them. same for skeeters and flies.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2019, 6:45 am

My phobia is fibrous materials. I thought it was b/c a parent threatened me with a wooden spoon as a child, but maybe it's simply sensory related. I avoid popsicle sticks, paper cups (non-waxed), paper straws, watermelon and some apples --- although I am now able to eat most apples. Certain paper textures (the between of smooth and rough).

If I am highly stressed, an emotional event in a book or TV show will trigger deja vu. I've read it's protective: oh, I've read/seen this before = feeling of assurance.

lvpin wrote:
Again this one sounds odd but to an extent, things going well. When I was younger I had a weird belief that things going well for me now must mean either a. it is all actually a lie or b. bad things are coming to balance it because there is some weird plan for me to be unhappy

My answer for myself is b. I still feel that way sometimes. My AS coach asked me to relax the other day and I couldn't --- I was afraid I'd be squooshed.

Fnord wrote:

For me, (1) and (4) incense me. I shutdown for (2) and (3) so I guess those are triggers in that way. I count some of the (1) work instances as life traumas (where the lie contributed to exclusion and loss of income), and the (4) mostly past emotional abuse from a parent --- well, I'm working on that.