Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 5:49 am

Quote:
Date created: 2000
Violent Video Games can Increase Aggression

May be more harmful than violent television and movies because of the interactive nature of the games

https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases ... ideo-games

KeepWaiting
Raven
Raven

27 May 2022, 5:57 am

I’m not surprised.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 6:35 am

KeepWaiting wrote:
I’m not surprised.

Having a good understanding of human psychology, how could it be anything else, I say?

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 11:10 am

I need to play some violent video games then

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 11:13 am

Check out this chart first:

Note where "Violent Media Use" is located (13th place), and how often it is a factor in mass shootings (19%).

Source:
 FBI Warning Signs of Mass Shooters 

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 1:00 pm

I played violent video games as a teenager and remember being more well adjusted then. I think with the mass shootings it's ridiculous to correlate, as online fps games are the most popular... meaning millions of people play them with no problems whatsoever.

It's also pretty rude to insinuate that I'm on the verge of becoming a mass shooter.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 8:33 pm

Fnord wrote:
Check out this chart first:

Note where "Violent Media Use" is located (13th place), and how often it is a factor in mass shootings (19%).

Source:[/color]  FBI Warning Signs of Mass Shooters 

SECURITY!! ! :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 8:38 pm

klanka wrote:
I played violent video games as a teenager and remember being more well adjusted then. I think with the mass shootings it's ridiculous to correlate, as online fps games are the most popular... meaning millions of people play them with no problems whatsoever.

It's also pretty rude to insinuate that I'm on the verge of becoming a mass shooter.

I started playing multiplayer First Player Shooter games in 1995, I think.
I have been scarred for life. I'm not joking.

As I have said previously on a number of occasions, MP FPS games are the breeding/training grounds of psychopaths and sociopaths.

I still play FPS games, but not in multiplayer mode.
MP is saturated with hackers and cheaters. (Yes, there is a difference. ;))

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 8:40 pm

klanka wrote:

Who is insinuating this? :scratch:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 9:00 pm

Testosterone is what increases aggression, not video games. And the amount of testosterone poisoning people have lately is just sickening.

I heard that one of those two girls who nearly murdered another girl because they had hallucinations and delusions about Slenderman a few years ago liked playing The Sims, but she would deliberately kill her Sims by setting their houses on fire. I guess it's a good thing I'm *usually* nice to my Sims, although I know it doesn't make my YouTube videos as interesting.:roll:

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 9:04 pm

Both studies cited in the article are problematic. They are both on the small side with just over 200 people involved, and the studies themselves are somewhat questionable. You can’t definitively say that violent video games “cause” aggression. What constitutes a “violent” video game?

There’s the whole correlation does not equal causation factor as well. Questionnaires completed by the subject are notoriously unreliable.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 27 May 2022, 9:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 9:05 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Testosterone is what increases aggression, not video games. And the amount of testosterone poisoning people have lately is just sickening.

I heard that one of those two girls who nearly murdered another girl because they had hallucinations and delusions about Slenderman a few years ago liked playing The Sims, but she would deliberately kill her Sims by setting their houses on fire. I guess it's a good thing I'm *usually* nice to my Sims, although I know it doesn't make my YouTube videos as interesting.:roll:

One should always be nice to one’s Sims.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 9:44 pm

Here is one of my posts (2020) where I talked about FPS games breeding/training sociopaths/psychopaths.
It isn't the only one.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=392300&p=8654317&hilit=+FPS+gamespsychopaths+and+sociopaths.#p8654317

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 9:46 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:

Both are to blame, imo.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 9:57 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Both studies cited in the article are problematic. They are both on the small side with just over 200 people involved, and the studies themselves are somewhat questionable. You can’t definitively say that violent video games “cause” aggression. What constitutes a “violent” video game?

There’s the whole correlation does not equal causation factor as well. Questionnaires completed by the subject are notoriously unreliable.

I think there are signs that it can happen, especially in a multiplayer environment.

This is something that some people may have missed:
Playing a single-player violent game is one thing.
Playing a multiplayer game with people who have ASPD is another.

I have been playing, up until recently, FPS multiplayer games for around 25 years.
I am speaking from experience when I say that these games foster very poor behaviour.

Also, there have been studies where people can simply imagine playing sports to better their performance in real life.
The message of the "story" is that the human brain can be tricked by virtual reality and it can influence their real-life perceptions/orientations.

Scarecrow13
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 May 2022, 10:26 pm

When I have thought about this, I think what it is, increasing violent tendencies that are already there. There is also some conditioning involved.