Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 9:12 am

Normally when delusional people react badly and argue when being called delusional, is it normal that I take a different approach? When I get called delusional 3 times in a month by an argument, I talk to my psychiatrist to see what is going on.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 9:25 am

Normally, people say that someone is delusional as a personal attack/insult, so the person, understandably, takes it personally. It can even be used as a form of gaslighting.

If you struggle with mental illness, you may be aware of your own struggles with delusional thinking and not take it as an insult, especially if the person who made the comment was not trying to be hurtful.

Saying that someone’s thinking is delusional (based on false beliefs/obvious irrationality) is different from saying that the person is delusional.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 10:05 am

That makes sense. Even though I am mentally ill and more prone to delusional episodes, there are some people who can gaslight me into thinking that I am delusional, when in reality, I am not always delusional.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 10:08 am

FranzOren wrote:
That makes sense. Even though I am mentally ill and more prone to delusional episodes, there are some people who can gaslight me into thinking that I am delusional, when in reality, I am not always delusional.

That's true.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 10:29 am

FranzOren wrote:

Yeah, not everything you experience can be delusional. Sometimes it's hard to sort out what is real and what is not though. It's good to talk to someone who is there to help you.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 12:57 pm

Thank you!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 2:09 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Normally, people say that someone is delusional as a personal attack/insult, so the person, understandably, takes it personally. It can even be used as a form of gaslighting.

If you struggle with mental illness, you may be aware of your own struggles with delusional thinking and not take it as an insult, especially if the person who made the comment was not trying to be hurtful.

Saying that someone’s thinking is delusional (based on false beliefs/obvious irrationality) is different from saying that the person is delusional.

Beyond that, if someone's experiencing delusions, someone who's outside their experience trying to convince them that their experience isn't aligned with reality is effectively engaging in similar patterns as gaslighting only with a vastly different context.

Either way, they're trying to convince another party their experience isn't correct. If one has been subjected to genuine gaslighting they may be paranoid/suspicious of anything that reminds them of gaslighting and this might become a positive feedback loop in their worst periods.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 2:54 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Beyond that, if someone's experiencing delusions, someone who's outside their experience trying to convince them that their experience isn't aligned with reality is effectively engaging in similar patterns as gaslighting only with a vastly different context.

That’s true. With my own personal experience with health anxiety, it would’ve helped if someone told me that my fears were irrational, so I think it does depend on the condition, situation, and person.

I do not like it when I’m told that my liberal political views are based on my autism.

I would’ve found it helpful if someone told me that my PTSD-related psychotic events weren’t real. I don’t experience them anymore.

(I realize that that wouldn’t be a good idea for most people, but I needed reassurance and to feel safe.)

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 5:12 pm

That does make sense.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 7:53 pm

It's a good coping strategy.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 8:15 pm

I agree.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 1:53 am

Even though I sometimes get depressed to the point of suicidal ideations, I will never give up on life. If I committed suicide, my friends, family, teachers, doctors, school psychologist and psychiatrist will wonder why I did that, if it is their fault why I committed suicide.

Every time I fantasize about killing myself, I always think about my friends and tell myself that I am not going to give up, because if I did, nearest and dearest will suffer prolonged grief and blame themselves, because I committed suicide.

Every time I feel suicidal, I keep my reality in check and I stay away from any objects that can be used as a weapon on myself.

One thing that helps with my depression, is when I ask for help, not hide my emotions anymore to the point of rage. Please, don't be afraid to ask for help and never give up on life!

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 6:57 pm

I am sorry for making my mental health issues into a religious debate, it wasn't my intention. I am sorry!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 6:58 pm

It’s not your fault.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 6:58 pm

Thanks! If it happens again, I understand why this post has to be locked.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2022, 2:43 am

I am depressed, I was bulled in the past for lacking social skills, I was called "Stupid", "Loser" and "Idiot", I want to kill my former elementary school bullies. I am so upset! Who can I talk to? I am sorry, I feel so much pain right now!