Anti-trans bigots: "Puberty blockers are child abuse"

Page 7 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 7:40 pm

Nor are you winning any argument by posting dubious 'facts' . It seems for all your supposedly liberal outlook on life you have quite a reactionary bee in your bonnet about this subject .

That's shown by your posting links of a very biased nature that have a marked anti transsexual bent to them . So far you've glaringly failed to provide any reasonable and intelligent reasons why I, or anyone else ,should step in line with your thinking on this issue .

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 8:01 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Nor are you winning any argument by posting dubious 'facts' . It seems for all your supposedly liberal outlook on life you have quite a reactionary bee in your bonnet about this subject .

That's shown by your posting links of a very biased nature that have a marked anti transsexual bent to them . So far you've glaringly failed to provide any reasonable and intelligent reasons why I, or anyone else ,should step in line with your thinking on this issue .
I never said I was a liberal. I claim centrism, but only because I refuse to identify with the current Evangelical/Republican regime in Washington.

Facts are 'dubious' only when they conflict with a personal narrative.

Facts are 'anti-transexual' only when they cannot be twisted to support the 'official' transsexual narrative.

I have not failed to "provide any reasonable and intelligent reasons" for you to change your mind, but only because I am not even trying to change your mind. All I'm doing is posting facts that contradict the popular opinion that puberty blockers are harmless and should be given on demand to any child who feels he or she is something other than their biologic birth-sex.

Is it wrong (or against the rules of this website) to present facts that other members don't like? Should I avoid posting the truth just because the truth makes someone else feel uncomfortable? The truth, however shocking or uncomfortable, in the end leads to liberation and dignity.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 8:07 pm

Alright, the Wikipedia page on Campaign Life Coalition, the group that started LifeSiteNews.

Quote:
The Campaign Life Coalition (sometimes shortened to Campaign Life) is a Canadian political lobbyist organization founded in 1978. Based in Toronto, the organization advocates for socially conservative values.[1] In addition to its initial goals of opposing abortion and euthanasia, Campaign Life Coalition advocates for what it describes as traditional family values, including opposition to same-sex marriage, sex education, homosexuality, fornication, transgender rights, and the use of contraceptive methods[2][3][4].

Interesting note for those of us that think that pushing for conversion therapy, LifeSiteNews pushes that too, even in one of the articles you linked Fnord. But here is their article on it; UK to ban ‘abhorrent’ practice of treating unwanted homosexual attraction, just so we know how much of a standard source this is for unbiased information.

The only real source LSN has for the unsafe nature of the puberty blockers is a link to the FDA, which as soon as I opened it gave a warning of things like the reports can be incomplete, and so should not be used to make any decisions, and do not necessarily reflect conclusions. I can't even find where their references are on the FDA. But based on the article it seemed to primarily be about Leuprolide, Wikipedia says that there is just no data on long term effects yet. It also says the Leuprolide is used for treating a large amount of medical problems, from several cancers to precocious puberty, and looking at exact words on LifeSiteNews it says which includes saying "Lupron and similar drugs used by gender clinics", not whether such cases can be attributed to the 41,000 adverse reactions as a large amount in gender therapy rather than the other medical problems.

Actually, weird, the next paragraph in the article is the only part that mentions any death, there being 11, and in the same paragraph talks about it being for medical reasons. The rest of the article is mostly opinions, such as from Jackie Doyle-Price, a conservative leaning politician.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 8:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
I never said I was a liberal. I claim centrism, but only because I refuse to identify with the current Evangelical/Republican regime in Washington.

So you admit that you are not a true centrist, you merely don't agree with the crazy curreny right wing party of your country?

Fnord wrote:
Facts are 'dubious' only when they conflict with a personal narrative.

Facts are 'anti-transexual' only when they cannot be twisted to support the 'official' transsexual narrative.

I have not failed to "provide any reasonable and intelligent reasons" for you to change your mind, but only because I am not even trying to change your mind. All I'm doing is posting facts that contradict the popular opinion that puberty blockers are harmless and should be given on demand to any child who feels he or she is something other than their biologic birth-sex.

Facts that you can only find via sources of conservative advocacy groups that really hate gay people. You are saying that facts are only dubious when it does not meet one's personal narrative, but really seems that you are only picking sources that just push facts that have a rather dubious narrative. Are you just assuming every other type of news is too left leaning?

Fnord wrote:
Is it wrong (or against the rules of this website) to present facts that other members don't like? Should I avoid posting the truth just because the truth makes someone else feel uncomfortable? The truth, however shocking or uncomfortable, in the end leads to liberation and dignity.

Nothing wrong with presenting facts that other members do not like, there is similarly nothing wrong with criticising those facts for bias, and pushing for anti-science narratives like for conversion therapy.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 8:37 pm

Fnord's standard tactic is to make out he's the only 'rational' person , and that any person disagreeing with him is a blind fool and enemy of the truth .

At the end of the day strip away the pomposity, and there's little of substance there .

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 8:39 pm

Oh, here is another interesting article by LifeSiteNews: Pediatrician blasts study claiming that affirming kids’ gender confusion reduces suicide

The article talks about a study that seemed to show that gender affirming things like using a name they feel fits their gender more, leads to a huge improvement in their mental health over other transgender people. But, is also criticised by a pediatrician, want to guess what organization this pediatrician is part of? That is right, the American College of Pediatricians. Her source of the dangers sex reassignment is this study, which she uses as evidence of people after changing their sex are more at danger of things like self harm. But the actual conclusion of the study is up against a control of the general population, not transgender people who did not transition, and they conclude not to stop doing sex changes but more psychological help after the transition. This a far cry from saying transitioning itself is harmful, but likely the culture itself that discriminates.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 9:12 pm

Fnord wrote:
Is it wrong (or against the rules of this website) to present facts that other members don't like? Should I avoid posting the truth just because the truth makes someone else feel uncomfortable? The truth, however shocking or uncomfortable, in the end leads to liberation and dignity.[/color]

As you point out the "facts" and "truth" you present are not Fact and Truth, they are your perception, so I answer your two questions: "It depends and in this case 'no'. It depends and in this case 'yes'."

No: The open forum rules read: "Attacking an opinion, belief or philosophy is acceptable." This is an open forum and you presented opposing "facts". In the Haven, this would be a no-no "if someone is in distress [do] not ... post anything that could cause further distress."

Yes: OP shared a very personal, vulnerable story. On one hand she did not post in the Haven, on the other hand LGBT Discussion is a sort of haven. That said, I am not OP and do not pretend to understand what causes her distress; however, I personally found your post distressing. So you could stand on "This is not the Haven, this topic is up for debate" or you could consider "This is a Haven-like post, I will defer to those rules".

You made your call already. But since you asked, there are my answers. Those weren't rhetorical questions, were they?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 10:43 pm

firemonkey wrote:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=%22puberty+blockers%22

It seems that I unfortunately cannot read the papers without getting a paid subscription, which don't seem to be cheap.

But there does seem to be a number of papers that aim for a child's personal choice to get puberty-blocking treatment, even against the wishes of their own parents.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 1:54 am

Bradleigh wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=%22puberty+blockers%22

It seems that I unfortunately cannot read the papers without getting a paid subscription, which don't seem to be cheap.

But there does seem to be a number of papers that aim for a child's personal choice to get puberty-blocking treatment, even against the wishes of their own parents.

I use this. https://sci-hub.tw/

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2020, 2:48 pm

Fnord wrote:
The Leftist/Liberal Media won't cover facts like those presented on LifeSiteNews because those facts simply don't fit the Leftist/Liberal opinion of what they believe should be true.

Cool conspiracy theory, Fnord. Tell us more! What is the government not telling us about 9/11? Could Tupac Shakur still be alive? And did NASA astronauts really land on the moon?

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 11:29 am

Quick heads up friends, you are talking about me and people close to me when discussing Trans* matters, so imagine I am there in your discussions and hearing your views in person...

With us only being a small part of the total population, it can be very easy to get into an involved Hypothetical discussion without the chance to hear first person testimony to add to the information.

Very good work showing that "Pressure / Lobby Group" naming itself in a way it could be mistaken for a legit professional body.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 7:42 pm

rowan_nichol wrote:
Very good work showing that "Pressure / Lobby Group" naming itself in a way it could be mistaken for a legit professional body.

*Kneels and lowers head*
Yes my lord.

I was saying earlier that we needed more people in this discussion that have first hand experience.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 8:58 pm

Can't say that I have "first hand experience." Don't use that against me :P

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 10:24 am

DragonflyGirl wrote:
They're not. I have no doubt they're actually life savers in many cases.

I remember [my first] puberty. It was horrific. Utterly horrific. Imagine being taken over by an unstoppable force that slowly and torturously reshapes you into the opposite of who you are on the inside. Imagine looking into the mirror, seeing yourself steadily disappear, slowly being replaced by something that is the opposite of you, and being told: "It's all good. You're turning into a man!"

Anything that saves today's trans kids from going through that ordeal is a godsend in my eyes.

I remember "weaping" when I first got a period. It wasn't hormonal. How you described it in your post was true for me too but in a slightly different sense. Now, that I no longer have a cycle, I feel like "me" again. I feel nice and dry under the ACE umbrella. Warm too. :heart:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 10:36 am

Pubertal blockers for transgender and gender diverse youth
By Mayo Clinic Staff - 2019/08/16

Transgender and gender diverse children might choose to temporarily suppress puberty through the use of prescription medications called pubertal blockers.  But deciding to get this treatment is a big step.

Here's what you need to know about the pubertal blocker medication known as Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone (GnRH) analogues, including the benefits, side effects and long-term effects.

What do pubertal blockers do?

Puberty's physical changes can cause intense distress for many gender-nonconforming adolescents.  When taken regularly, GnRH analogues suppress the body's release of sex hormones, including testosterone and estrogen, during puberty.  These hormones affect:

• Primary sex characteristics.  These are the sexual organs present at birth, including the penis, scrotum and testicles and the uterus, ovaries and vagina.

• Secondary sex characteristics.  These are the physical changes in the body that typically appear during puberty.  Examples include breast development and growth of facial hair.

• In those identified as male at birth, GnRH analogues decrease the growth of facial and body hair, prevent voice deepening, and limit the growth of genitalia, but only as long as the GnRH is being taken.

• In those identified as female at birth, treatment limits or stops breast development and delays or stops menstruation, but only as long as the GnRH is being taken.

What are the benefits of use of pubertal blockers?

Gender dysphoria is the feeling of discomfort or distress that might accompany a difference between experienced or expressed gender and sex assigned at birth.

For children who have gender dysphoria, suppressing puberty might:

• Improve mental well-being
• Reduce depression and anxiety
• Improve social interactions and integration with other kids
• Eliminate the need for future surgeries
• Reduce thoughts or actions related to self-harm

However, puberty suppression alone might not ease gender dysphoria.

What are the criteria for use of pubertal blockers?

To begin using pubertal blockers, a child must:

• Show a long-lasting and intense pattern of gender nonconformity or gender dysphoria
• Have gender dysphoria that began or worsened at the start of puberty
• Address any psychological, medical or social problems that could interfere with treatment
• Provide informed consent

Particularly when a child hasn't reached the age of medical consent, parents or other caretakers or guardians must consent to the treatment and support the adolescent through the treatment process.

Are the changes permanent?

Use of GnRH analogues doesn't cause permanent changes in an adolescent's body.  Instead, it pauses puberty, providing time to determine if a child's gender identity is long lasting.  It also gives children and their families time to think about or plan for the psychological, medical, developmental, social and legal issues ahead.

If an adolescent child stops taking GnRH analogues, puberty will resume.

What is the typical treatment time frame?

For most children, puberty begins around ages 10 to 11, though some start earlier.  The effect of pubertal blockers depends on when a child begins to take the medication.  GnRH analogue treatment can begin at the start of puberty to delay secondary sex characteristics.  In slightly later stages of puberty, the treatment could be used to stop menstruation or erections or to prevent further development of undesired secondary sex characteristics.

While most children take the medication for a few years, every child is different.  After suppressing puberty for a few years, your child might decide to stop hormone therapy or pursue other hormone treatments.

How is the medication given?

GnRH analogue treatments for children are prescribed, administered and monitored by a pediatric endocrinologist.  The medication is typically given as injections, either monthly or every three months, or through an implant placed under the skin of the upper arm.  The implant typically needs to be replaced every 12 months.

While taking pubertal blockers, your child will have regular blood tests to monitor the medication's effectiveness.  Your child will also be monitored for any side effects.

What are the possible side effects and complications?

It's important for your child to stay on schedule with all related medical appointments.  Contact your child's doctor if any changes cause you or your child concern.

Possible side effects of GnRH analogue treatment include:

• Injection site swelling
• Weight gain
• Hot flashes
• Headaches

Use of GnRH analogues might also have long-term effects on:

• Bone density
• Future fertility

Children will likely have their height checked every three months.  Your child's doctor might recommend yearly bone density and bone age tests.

If children with male genitalia begin using GnRH analogues early in puberty, they might not develop enough penile and scrotal skin for certain gender confirmation genital surgical procedures, such as penile inversion vaginoplasty.  Alternative techniques, however, are available.

In addition, delaying puberty beyond one's peers can be stressful.  Your child might experience lower self-esteem.

What other treatments are needed?

Assessment and counseling by a behavioral health provider can help you and your child as you move through the decision-making process and provide support during therapy.  Engaging your child's school teachers and officials also might help ease your child's social adjustment during this process.

After a period of adjusting to pubertal blockers, adolescents might work with their care team to add cross-hormone treatment.  This is done to develop masculine or feminine secondary sex characteristics, helping the mind and body look and act like the gender with which your child identifies.  Keep in mind that some of these changes aren't reversible or will require surgery to reverse the effects.

GnRH analogues aren't the only medications that can delay puberty.  If you're interested in alternative treatments, talk to your child's doctor.

Source:
This Mayo Clinic Article

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.