Why LGBT teens become cis-gender heterosexual as adults?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

fredpat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2022, 2:19 am

A large population of teens that identify themselves as LGBT become cis-gender heterosexual years after in adulthood.
In neuro-typicals the percentages are like 30%-40% LGBT teens ends as 4%-8% LGBT adults. The majority end up as cis-gender heterosexual, so it is the majority of people that are out LGBT from the teenagers years. For autistic people the percentages are higher in LGBT identities, but still autistic kids that were able to change their mind.
Why some teens are able to get out LGBT identity in adulthood?
They were wrong? It was temporal? They decided differently? It was learned? What they discover and how? I'd like to hear your feedback.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 9:15 am

fredpat wrote:
A large population of teens that identify themselves as LGBT become cis-gender heterosexual years after in adulthood.
Evidence, please?
fredpat wrote:
In neuro-typicals the percentages are like 30%-40% LGBT teens ends as 4%-8% LGBT adults.
Evidence, please?
fredpat wrote:
The majority end up as cis-gender heterosexual, so it is the majority of people that are out LGBT from the teenagers years.
Evidence, please?
fredpat wrote:
For autistic people the percentages are higher in LGBT identities, but still autistic kids that were able to change their mind.
Evidence, please?
fredpat wrote:
Why some teens are able to get out LGBT identity in adulthood?  They were wrong?  It was temporal?  They decided differently?  It was learned?  What they discover and how?
For the answers to these and other questions, let us first examine any alleged evidence (and the sources from which you obtained it) you may allegedly have.
fredpat wrote:
I'd like to hear your feedback.
I would like to see your evidence, please?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 9:22 am

fredpat wrote:
In neuro-typicals the percentages are like 30%-40% LGBT teens ends as 4%-8% LGBT adults. The majority end up as cis-gender heterosexual, so it is the majority of people that are out LGBT from the teenagers years. For autistic people the percentages are higher in LGBT identities, but still autistic kids that were able to change their mind.
They were wrong? It was temporal? They decided differently? It was learned? What they discover and how? I'd like to hear your feedback.

Says who exactly? and just where is this "large Population of teens"? I'd love to see the source of this as it seems to contradict most, if not all other credible research.

Last edited by DanielW on 11 Aug 2022, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 9:34 am

Quote:

Being LGBT is not negative. It's not something that one needs to "get out" of.

I think your information is way off. I hope you will share where you got those numbers. It's generally a good idea to cite one's sources. Otherwise, people will assume that you just made the evidence up or got it from a source that peddles misinformation.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 6:38 pm

"Extraordinary claims requite extraordinary evidence."

Saying this, I doubt what the OP said is true.

What could be true: many teens experiment with sex. Some of this experimentation includes exploring with the same gender. Just because somebody experiments with gay sex----doesn't mean the person is gay.

Anyway: so what if somebody is LBQT+. No skin off my back.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 11 Aug 2022, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 8:43 pm

It’s not uncommon for people to wait to come out until they are away from a regressive family or community, so all things considered, I’m highly skeptical of the data in the OP.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 8:45 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
I’m highly skeptical of the data in the OP.
What data?  All he has done is state a few claims without providing corroborative data to support them.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 9:21 am

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
What data?  All he has done is state a few claims without providing corroborative data to support them.

All of the OP's posts here are like that.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 9:23 am

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Perhaps I should've stated "figures" instead of "data."

When people state actual numbers and percentages, it can look like data.

Either the OP got them from some "source" or he made them up to support his argument. In either case, it's not rational to believe them without proof. Using bogus percentages to make one's stance sound valid is a pet peeve of mine.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 9:35 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Perhaps I should have stated "figures" instead of "data."  When people state actual numbers and percentages, it can look like data.  Either the OP got them from some "source" or he made them up to support his argument.  In either case, it is not rational to believe them without proof. Using bogus percentages to make one's stance sound valid is a pet peeve of mine.
Indeed.  Sagan's Razor seems appropriate here.

"Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan (1934-1996)

flyingsquid
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Aug 2022, 5:29 pm

I looked it up, an estimated 9.5% of American teens and 7.1% of American adults identify as LGBT+. There might be some people who are wrong about being LGBT+ and realize this as adults, but I think what's really going on here homophobia has decreased over time and many older adults are LGBT+ and in the closet because they grew up with so much homophobia.

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2022, 10:09 am

I was an LGBT teenager. I certainly did NOT become cisgender heterosexual.

fredpat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2022, 11:28 pm

I just reviewed the forum. Some people asking for data to evidence that most teens with LGBT preferences change during adulthood. Let's start with the T(trans) of LGBT.
Eleven studies shows on average 80% of children change their minds and do not continue into adulthood as transgender.
CONCLUSION: Most children grow out of their gender dysphoria as they reach adolescence.
The study of 2021 cited shows 87.8% were classified as desisters, which is even higher than my initial estimates.

See article below referenced the studies:
Titled "Do children grow out of gender dysphoria?"
https://www.transgendertrend.com/children-change-minds/

80% - 87.8% of trans kids that do not longer identify as trans when adults.

Again, please share your feedback why, how do you think this happens ?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2022, 11:47 pm

fredpat wrote:
I just reviewed the forum. Some people asking for data to evidence that most teens with LGBT preferences change during adulthood. Let's start with the T(trans) of LGBT.
Eleven studies shows on average 80% of children change their minds and do not continue into adulthood as transgender.
CONCLUSION: Most children grow out of their gender dysphoria as they reach adolescence.
The study of 2021 cited shows 87.8% were classified as desisters, which is even higher than my initial estimates.

See article below referenced the studies:
Titled "Do children grow out of gender dysphoria?"
https://www.transgendertrend.com/children-change-minds/

80% - 87.8% of trans kids that do not longer identify as trans when adults.

Again, please share your feedback why, how do you think this happens ?

A quick glance shows that some of the studies referenced in your link are quite old - going back to the 70's. The study from 2021 only involves 139 participants. That's too small of a sample size. More research would be required.

I'll have to explore this more tomorrow, but it's clear that one shouldn't be drawing conclusions based on the evidence that you are providing.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2022, 11:52 pm

Here's a more recent study involving over 300 children:

Quote:
The new study, published in the journal Pediatrics, followed this cohort as they reached a milestone roughly five years out from their initial social transitions. The study found that 94 percent of the group still identified as transgender five years later. Another 3.5 percent identified as nonbinary, meaning they did not identify as boys or girls. That label wasn’t as widely used when the researchers began the study as it is today.

By the end of the study period, in 2020, 60 percent of the children had started taking either puberty-blocking drugs or hormones. The researchers are still collecting data about how many of the teenage participants had undergone gender surgeries, Dr. Olson said.

Eight children, or 2.5 percent, had switched back to the gender they were assigned at birth. Seven of them had socially transitioned before the age of 6 and transitioned back before the age of 9. The eighth child, at 11 years old, reverted after starting on puberty-blocking drugs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/04/heal ... ntity.html

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2022, 11:55 pm

A study of 127 individuals found that, of that group, 80% of them desisted, with no controls to determine other factors.

All the studies combined test less than 500 people, with no clarification of other factors which may be at play.

Simply stating outright, that "80%", is a massive misrepresentation of the actual numbers being surveyed.

As mentioned, this research is largely old, narrow, and hardly a basis for any meaningful conclusions.

However, even if we assume that the stats are broadly true, I'd wager that conversations like this, that minimize, dismiss, or belittle the authenticity of their experiences, might have something to do with it.