Could I be asexual cause I never want to date anyone?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

catpiecakebutter
Raven
Raven

05 Sep 2022, 12:53 am

I honestly have no idea if I'm asexual but I know I never want to date anyone. I'm around 40 and never had a meaningful relationship and I never want to be in one at all now or in the future. Does that make me asexual?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 1:18 am

Do you feel sexual attraction towards people?

If not, then you are certainly asexual.

There are degrees of asexuality.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asexuality

angeladevidso
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Sep 2022, 5:28 am

When you don't want dating with anyone and don't need this (you feel it) - it's called aromantic. Asexual - it's when you don't want any sexual "activity" and sexual attraction towards people.

Maybe you're aromantic?

Ollywog
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Sep 2022, 8:30 pm

It's possible to be both aromantic and asexual, of course. Some people are just one or the other, and some are both.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 9:13 am

It really depends on WHY you don't want to date. If its the actual dating part you don't like, that doesn't make you asexual.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 2:18 pm

My brother is asexual/aromatic but I wonder if it's because he's scared of getting his heart broken. He's the sort who doesn't deal with any sort of failure or rejection, due to his severe depression and lack of self-esteem. But he seems happy with not dating, so maybe he is generally aromantic.

OSabrebird
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Sep 2022, 6:12 am

If you just enjoy being alone, then you might be a singlist.
If you don't like people, you might be aromantic(but that doesn't mean you know nothing about romance!).
If you like only yourself, you might be a narcissist(no offence~).
If you have no interest in making love with people, you might be asextual.
If you like only to make love with yourself, then care not what others say.
Mark this: what you think you are is way more important than what you really are.You can be all of the above.You can also be none.

catpiecakebutter
Raven
Raven

25 Sep 2022, 8:53 pm

I find having friends is easier than having a relationship.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 4:52 pm

There's is a Facebook page called "Asexuals 30 and Over"
for anyone 30+ who identify as asexual.

Here is the link for anyone who wants to join:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/277579996395801

My NT sister is openly asexual, but whenever our bigoted uncles visit, they begin by asking her if she has found herself a boyfriend, that asexuality isn't real (that she's making it all up, you get the idea) and that she is using her age (she is 35 to me being 32) to get out of wanting a boyfriend.

SandyLife223
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2023, 4:38 am

I do not feel any sexual or romantic attraction towards anyone, I instead have a platonic relationship with girls… but i like (not as in feel attracted, but think they’re good friends) boys and non-binary people…
What am I???

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2023, 12:03 pm

SandyLife223 wrote:
I do not feel any sexual or romantic attraction towards anyone, I instead have a platonic relationship with girls… but i like (not as in feel attracted, but think they’re good friends) boys and non-binary people…
What am I???

You could be demisexual, so you only feel sexual attraction once you have a deeper emotional connection with someone. Like after dating them for several weeks or months without having sex, and having some bonding experiences with them.

Or you could be both asexual and aromantic for various reasons.

I also identify as asexual, because I wasn't interested in a sexual or romantic relationship with anyone in the past 20 years. But I still find women attractive and have a sex drive. I just don't want sex with another person.

Reason is that I experienced sex without emotional connection as stressful waste of time, and romantic relationships with deeper emotional connection as a severe threat to my mental wellbeing. If I didn't experience that it's a threat, then I would likely be interested in a romantic relationship (with or without sex).

Also, I don't desire to have friends. I guess if one isn't interested in having friends, they're more likely also not interested in having a sexual/romantic relationship with anyone.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 8:11 pm

catpiecakebutter wrote:
I honestly have no idea if I'm asexual but I know I never want to date anyone. I'm around 40 and never had a meaningful relationship and I never want to be in one at all now or in the future. Does that make me asexual?

These are things so it's certainly possible. It's also possible that you either haven't met the right person or you're repressing it for some reason. I'm definitely saying that you're repressing it, but it does happen from time to time.

But, that being said, if you truly think that your life is what you like, then it likely doesn't much matter what the ultimate truth is. There are definite upsides to being single and childless.

catpiecakebutter
Raven
Raven

31 Mar 2023, 8:36 pm

I know the best choice for me is to never date anyone and I never want to look for "the right person". However, I know it's a good thing that dating makes other people happy. I'm OK with just having friends.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 8:39 pm

Sex is a biochemical/neurological reaction in the brain. People can become addicted to it in the same way as getting addicted to food, drugs or alcohol.

It also means you can live without it. If you want to experience it without having to approach somebody, masturbation is just as much fun.

catpiecakebutter
Raven
Raven

01 Apr 2023, 11:13 am

I'm fine the way I am