Anyone alarmed by the sudden increase in Homophobia?

Page 2 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Krankymoose
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Aug 2022, 5:25 pm

My own experience in the UK is that things have gotten better, primarily for people displaying homosexual inclinations. Perhaps now, when there is genuine cases of homophobia, a better spot light is given. It may seem as though things are worse, but perhaps society is more conscious of injustice, when it does happen (,which it does).

I do believe though, trans people have attracted far a worse and much more sinister attention recently, with it being bundled in to the current package of high level political debates as a partisan issue.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 8:08 pm

Most rabid homophobes I have known in the past appear somewhat numb. It's everywhere, a true 'homophobe' would be hard pressed to give each homosexual the proper amount of phobic attention due, compared to past history. They're better served by just minding their own business because even conservatives aren't really interested in a life devoted to hate.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 3:39 pm

AnomalousAspergian wrote:
The sooner the LGBT community learns that coming out is just one step out of many obstacles rather than a miracle fix that instantly leads to a better life for all, the better.

Hmm, it's my impression that the LGBTQ+ community already includes a wide variety of groups devoted to more than just coming out. See, for example, the wide variety of groups that meet at the LGBT Community Center in New York City.

I wonder if perhaps some LGBTQ+ people are not aware of these and similar community resources, and think the LGBTQ+ community consists of nothing but a bunch of bars and social media pages?

See also my post at the bottom of the first page of this thread.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 8:30 pm

My opinion, but LGBT people are becoming more "hyper-visible" in the last few years after the USSC ruled gay marriage was effectively legal across the whole country, since everyone said their goal was legal recognized marriage. That came, and a change I noticed was that LGBT people are being depicted in younger children's media when even 10 years ago it was unheard of or still taboo for that demographic. It's more conservative people becoming upset at that. Conservatives are actually concerned that it is even going to completely replace "straight" norms one day and straightness will be very rare.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 2:08 pm

The percentage of gays today, as far as I can see, is similar to that of 50 years ago.

After adolescence, people don’t just become gay because it’s fashionable.

I would have been a very successful gay person—were I gay.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 8:30 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
My opinion, but LGBT people are becoming more "hyper-visible" in the last few years after the USSC ruled gay marriage was effectively legal across the whole country, since everyone said their goal was legal recognized marriage. That came, and a change I noticed was that LGBT people are being depicted in younger children's media when even 10 years ago it was unheard of or still taboo for that demographic. It's more conservative people becoming upset at that. Conservatives are actually concerned that it is even going to completely replace "straight" norms one day and straightness will be very rare.

Not that it is all conservatives that feel like that, but there is a segment that is pushing back.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2022, 5:52 am

While personally I have not witnessed an increase in homophobia, I'm not surprised that others are observing the same. The U.S. and the U.K. (from my knowledge) are experiencing a surge in right-wing extremism. I know here in the U S. the Republican Party has drifted so far to the right that they've become Nazi-esque. I've heard similar things happening in the U K.

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

01 Dec 2022, 8:51 am

Yes, it definitely feels like we are regressing lately, like homophobes are becoming more bold.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 8:34 pm

My former church group seems to be slightly less homophobic these days, though not enough for me to go back. Elsewhere it seems to be the same.

AnomalousAspergian
Raven
Raven

24 Jan 2023, 8:43 am

It's alarming but not surprising. The LGBTQ community has been living in a kind of individualistic bubble which complements the very individualistic strain of neoliberal capitalism that has been around since the 1970s. I'm gay but do not feel part of the LGBTQ community (if there is indeed one). I think it is more of a clique than a community. I don't have any connection to other people who are LGBTQ because the media have successfully convinced many on the LGBTQ spectrum to behave in narcissistic, hypersexual and generally uncaring. I feel that LGBTQ culture has deprived me of finding a relationship due to the widespread sociopathic disposeable dating culture as well as more superifical attitudes becoming EVEN MORE common place.

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2023, 8:04 am

foxyfluff wrote:
Because, like i noticed on some sites, someone will say something homophobic and others will agree with the person.

Whereas in the past, people would know to keep bigoted comments to themselves.

I also noticed it too in public, like some days back, i heard a guy saying about me being bisexual "what is with wrong me?"

I think people may be being manipulated by giant megacorporations, for example the Youtube algorithm. For instance, I dislike Ben Shapiro but youtube consistently recommends Ben Shapiro videos to me for no reason when I do not even search for anything related to trans stuff or politics. Similarly they could be doing this to homophobes. For example, maybe someone who is mildly homophobic, youtube might keep sending them videos about toxic LGBTs such as RuPauls drag race, instead of more wholesome LGBTs or something, the result is that afterwards they are becoming more homophobic than they were before.

And this is assuming that the actual youtube staff aren't evil schemers. Assume for the sake of argument that the youtube staff are entirely innocent, but the algorithm is too complex for them to even know what it is doing.

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2023, 8:09 am

It's alarming but not surprising. The LGBTQ community has been living in a kind of individualistic bubble which complements the very individualistic strain of neoliberal capitalism that has been around since the 1970s. I'm gay but do not feel part of the LGBTQ community (if there is indeed one). I think it is more of a clique than a community. I don't have any connection to other people who are LGBTQ because the media have successfully convinced many on the LGBTQ spectrum to behave in narcissistic, hypersexual and generally uncaring. I feel that LGBTQ culture has deprived me of finding a relationship due to the widespread sociopathic disposeable dating culture as well as more superifical attitudes becoming EVEN MORE common place.

Can relate. Degenerate media like RuPaul Drag Race has the effect of turning lgbt culture into a cesspool. Meanwhile the youtube algorithm probably forces LGBTs to watch Ben Shapiro vids, Clockwork Orange style, making LGBTs feel more afraid and angry, which leads to worsening behavoir.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 8:18 am

You don't have to give in to an algorithm.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 8:30 am

oh, but how the NT's love it

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 11:45 am

I just now came across this video:

American Fascism And The Groomer Panic
by Second Thought

about the recent rise in both anti-gay and anti-trans rhetoric and its consequences.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 24 Feb 2023, 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 11:54 am

II'm gay but do not feel part of the LGBTQ community (if there is indeed one). I think it is more of a clique than a community. I don't have any connection to other people who are LGBTQ because the media have successfully convinced many on the LGBTQ spectrum to behave in narcissistic, hypersexual and generally uncaring. I feel that LGBTQ culture has deprived me of finding a relationship due to the widespread sociopathic disposeable dating culture as well as more superifical attitudes becoming EVEN MORE common place.

Exactly what kinds of entities do you have in mind when you refer to the "LGBTQ community" and "LGBTQ culture"? Bars? Dating apps? Videos by LGBTQ social media stars?

Have you ever looked at the variety of groups that meet at the "LGBT community center" (or something similar) in your nearest major city?

I suspect that if you were to look there, you would likely find people with less superficial attitudes toward life than what is common in the bar scene.

On the other hand, alas, "sociopathic disposeable dating culture" seems to me to be a scourge afflicting society as a whole these days, not just LGBTQ people.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 24 Feb 2023, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.