Page 3 of 17 [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 4:51 am

i forgot to mention and the band played on, the sum of us, querelle and victim (196something) with dirk bogarde (beaugarde?)

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 6:30 am

@beanie93 I forgot DEBS. That's a very funny film. :D

Zen wrote:
Also, I just remembered Mambo Italiano, which is especially hilarious if you are in a relationship with someone who is Italian. :lol:

8) I love Canadian comedies. The trailer looks hilarious.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw8s2TGeJSY[/youtube]

MissConstrue wrote:
Most people think it strange that I know so many good gay movies. And I notice that whenever I put one in, my family and friends goes crazy. They're not homophobic but for some reason it makes feel uncomfortable especially with the love scenes.

:lol: I can relate to that. My Dad walked in on me watching a gay romance when I was 16. He sat through the whole thing with me. When it ended he said "that was depressing" and walked out. Some people just feel awkward I think.

@VMSmith The film Victim looks really good. I have to watch it if it was banned on release!

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 7:43 am

Indy wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:
Most people think it strange that I know so many good gay movies. And I notice that whenever I put one in, my family and friends goes crazy. They're not homophobic but for some reason it makes feel uncomfortable especially with the love scenes.

:lol: I can relate to that. My Dad walked in on me watching a gay romance when I was 16. He sat through the whole thing with me. When it ended he said "that was depressing" and walked out. Some people just feel awkward I think.

I've had that happen to me numerous times. My brother and his friends put in a movie that made me feel real uncomfortable because the sex scenes involved a lot of violence and rape. As soon as it came time for me to put my movie in "Brokeback Mountain", the only scenes that disturbed them were couple of guys kissing and the very brief love scenes. He and his friends wanted to leave. One of his friends wanted to stay and watch. They teased him so he left with them and so there I was, left watching it all by myself. :(

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 8:16 am

MissConstrue wrote:
Indy wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:

I've had that happen to me numerous times. My brother and his friends put in a movie that made me feel real uncomfortable because the sex scenes involved a lot of violence and rape. As soon as it came time for me to put my movie in "Brokeback Mountain", the only scenes that disturbed them were couple of guys kissing and the very brief love scenes. He and his friends wanted to leave. One of his friends wanted to stay and watch. They teased him so he left with them and so there I was, left watching it all by myself. :(

:( That's very unfair. I don't understand how people can feel comfortable watching violent sex and rape, but get disturbed by two men showing affection. They should have stayed to watch your film if you put up with theirs.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 12:59 pm

Zen wrote:
Hey! I've actually seen some of those. :lol:

Also, I just remembered Mambo Italiano, which is especially hilarious if you are in a relationship with someone who is Italian. :lol:

I know I've seen more. I just have a horrible memory for that sort of thing.

I dithered over Mambo Italiano. (It's also a very good play--from which the film was adapted). If you liked it, have a look for Kiss Me, Guido which is another Italo-centric gay comedy.

Andre_br
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 May 2011, 12:32 am

On top of my mind, here are some of the movies I enjoyed most. I present them in no particular order, just listed their titles as I remembered:

-A Single Man
-Were the World Mine
-The Curiosity of Chance
-Dorian Blues
-Patrik 1,5
-Wonder Boys
-Billy Elliot
-Milk
-Latter Days
-Juste une Question d'Amour (Just a Question of Love)
-Ma Vie En Rose (My Life in Pink)
-À Cause d'un Garçon (You'll Get Over It)
-La Mala educación (Bad Education)
-Les Chansons d'amour (Love Songs)

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 9:57 am

Bound, When Night is Falling, Go Fish, But I'm a Cheerleader.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 5:41 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
Orlando

There's a film of Orlando? *zooms to Amazon*

Someone wrote:
Sebastiane

It's a terrible film, except for the language. I thought his Caravaggio was pretty good, though. Much more convincing!

I'll add another vote for Hedwig. Which obliges me to mention Shortbus. *grins*

Oh, and Gohatto ("Taboo") is an odd one; it isn't nice or friendly - at least, I don't think it is - but I like the film a lot.

The year is still young.

kittylover
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 May 2011, 7:10 pm

thewrll wrote:
But would the girl in But im not a cheerleader been a lesbian if not for her idiotic parents. Also there was a recent anime about transgender students. I forgot what it is called.

Wandering Son / Hourou Musuko / 放浪息子.

I read part of the comic book and cried a lot because I remember feeling like the little boy did.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 9:22 pm

I think thats it Kitty, thanx.

YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 4:13 pm

How could I have forgotten Die Bitteren Tränen der Petra von Kant (The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant)?!

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 4:32 pm

Breakfast on Pluto.

Chull
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jun 2011, 2:59 am

--Better Than Chocolate, for pure silly happiness.
--By Hook or by Crook, which is a buddy film about two trans-or-thereabouts guys. Fantastic treatment of mental illness and gender -- the characters just are. No one goes off on melodramatic rants about anything. Val obviously is seeing things that are not there, but no one even bothers to mention it, they just take care of it. This is actually my second-favorite movie, period.

I've seen Boys Don't Cry, but, um. It's not something I ever want to rewatch. Once was enough. It's kind of horrifying. I mean, it's good. Just horrifying.

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 8:57 am

@Andre_br Patrik 1,5 is a really good film. It got bad reviews, and I expected it to be rubbish, but I really enjoyed it.

@Ambivalence Gohatto looks very strange. Do you know any Welsh LGBT films?

@kittylover @thewrll Wandering Son / Hourou Musuko / 放浪息子 looks good. Which is better, the Manga or Anime?

Chull wrote:
I've seen Boys Don't Cry, but, um. It's not something I ever want to rewatch. Once was enough. It's kind of horrifying. I mean, it's good. Just horrifying.

I agree. It's one of the best films I've ever seen, but I don't think I could watch it again.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 10:53 am

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned "if these walls could talk 2" yet.

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 11:19 am

@Monkey My favourite story in that film is the one with Ellen DeGeneres and Sharon Stone trying for a baby. It was a very positive story.