Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BottleCap
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 8:39 pm

This has probably been brought up before, but is it just me, or do the number of people here seem to have gender identity issues? I'm just saying, it's not like I have anything against it or anything, but there seems to be quite a number that aren't suited to their sex. In fact, even I have gender issues, and have all my life, but not sure if it's major enough to the point that I'm transgendered.

So, because I'm just pretty much being curious, are those with Autism more likely to have gender identity issues?

(Not intended to be offensive, but feel free to delete if it somehow is.)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 9:33 pm

Not this Aspie. I've always been attracted to women; I just never wanted to be one, that's all.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 9:47 pm

Yeah cause gender is a social construct.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 9:57 pm

purchase wrote:

No, gender is determined by the presence or absence of a Y chromosome.

Gender roles are social constructs.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2011, 10:12 pm

I am a transsexual possible aspie. I think its actually my possible aspergers that caused me to come out as female. I have never really cared about social constructs. Even down to the point where my parents yelled at me that I SHOULD care what others think...

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 10:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
purchase wrote:

Gender is a construct. Biological sex is a fact. That's how I use those terms anyway.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 10:21 pm

And yes apparently I'm in the mood to split hairs. Sorry.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 8:07 am

Both of you (appear to - apologies purchase if I'm wrong and you were avoiding getting in to the complexity) assume physical sex (which Fnord incorrectly calls gender) is binary (XX or XY and no other possibility) which is incorrect. There are all sorts of wacky (and some fairly frequent) chromosome combinations - XXX or XYY are examples - and it's even possible for one person to have more than one set of chromosomes (eg. XY and XXY.)

The year is still young.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 8:54 am

Yeah I know that it's not binary. Agreed.

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Aug 2011, 5:10 pm

I have identified as transgender for close to five years. But I've only realized I am probably an aspie for close to a year.

I've never cared about social norms, or actually for that matter even noticed them. In my world, I am the normal one. I think that is how and why I've been able to freely express myself as who I feel like, rather than the body I was born in. It is only in the last four years that I have resented my physical sex, and desired a change. Now I am at the point where I've had to start coming out (at least to healthcare providers) because I am not a healthy person, and frankly I need help.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 9:11 pm

Speaking as transgender and on the ASD spectrum I would say gender issues are more common for those with ASD. Gender is a social construct so it makes sense that those with ASD would have a more difficult time "playing along". In reality, your personality is determined by genes that both sexes share. Hormones play a role in how this personality manifests.

Like almost everything in this Universe, gender is multidimensional. You cannot confine it in some binary. It just doesn't work. People with ASD can see past the social constructs into the true reality.

Transgenderism has a physical component to it too (the brain being made for the opposite hormone which can cause physical and emotional pain). This is the reason many people with transgenderism transition.

While my biological sex is female, I am a heterosexual male. It is the way my brain is programmed. And what my mind says should be more important than what my body says.

Last edited by techn0teen on 27 Aug 2011, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

camelia
Raven
Raven

27 Aug 2011, 9:12 pm

purchase wrote:
Gender is a construct. Biological sex is a fact. That's how I use those terms anyway.

There are at least 100 known expressions of biological sex in human beings. Granted, sexualtypicals almost always decide to surgically intervene ASAP because horrors, who would want their child to grow up sexually abnormal.

They can cut and slice and stich all they want. Won't change who that child is on the inside. Force a child into the wrong biological sex and that child WILL grow up miserable or change biological sex or gender expression to match what they feel inside. You would think John Money and his ilk would have figured that part out after David Reimer killed himself after Money's little experiment failed.

One doesn't need to be "intersexed" to have an unusually strong desire to express themselves in a gender different from what was assigned at birth. Social contructs and all.

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2011, 4:09 pm

camelia wrote:
You would think John Money and his ilk would have figured that part out after David Reimer killed himself after Money's little experiment failed.

Interesting you mention David Reimer, I used to be quite close with the family.

**edited to fix format

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by mb1984 on 28 Aug 2011, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 7:03 pm

My biological sex is female.

My gender is "none."

I am who I am. I dress how I want. I pursue my interests without regard as to whether they're "masculine" or "feminine." I present myself to others the way I feel most comfortable at any given moment, not caring at all if my gender ambiguity makes people uncomfortable. I couldn't care less what pronouns anyone uses to refer to me.

I've been told by various people throughout my life that I don't strike them as male or female.....I simply exist. Anyone attempting to put my in a box is going to be severely disappointed. There are particular biological realities that go along with physical sex, and there are some general trends, but, beyond that, the concepts of "masculine" and "feminine" don't exist outside of the socio-cultural imagination of a certain time period.

In the meantime, keep yer stinkin' "gender" OFF of me. Thank you.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2011, 7:25 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
My biological sex is female.

My gender is "none."

I am who I am. I dress how I want. I pursue my interests without regard as to whether they're "masculine" or "feminine." I present myself to others the way I feel most comfortable at any given moment, not caring at all if my gender ambiguity makes people uncomfortable. I couldn't care less what pronouns anyone uses to refer to me.

I've been told by various people throughout my life that I don't strike them as male or female.....I simply exist. Anyone attempting to put my in a box is going to be severely disappointed. There are particular biological realities that go along with physical sex, and there are some general trends, but, beyond that, the concepts of "masculine" and "feminine" don't exist outside of the socio-cultural imagination of a certain time period.

In the meantime, keep yer stinkin' "gender" OFF of me. Thank you.

You've described very closely how I feel as well. I don't fully feel "male" or "female". I don't know what that means, to feel that way. I am me, I only know what that feels like. I have strong feelings at this point that I'm needing to move forward in my physical transition though, as I'm becoming more and more dysphoric with my body. It's gotten to the point where I would almost consider it disabling.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Shiyin
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Aug 2011, 12:17 pm

Fnord wrote:
purchase wrote:

The confusion is between common & academic uses of the words "gender" and "sex". They're commonly used to refer to the same thing. In academic use, psychological sciences, sociology, etc., "sex" refers to one's biology, and "gender" to social constructs.