An Open Question To Anti-Gays: What Is Wrong With It?

Page 1 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

DiabloDave363
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 12:28 pm

Just give me a god damned straight answer without the sugar-coated fairtales from the bible!

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 2:05 pm

You probably should have posted this in the Politics, Philosophy, and Religion forum. I don't expect many anti-gay people to regularly visit this forum, if they do at all.

DiabloDave363
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 7:29 pm

Descartes wrote:
You probably should have posted this in the Politics, Philosophy, and Religion forum. I don't expect many anti-gay people to regularly visit this forum, if they do at all.

are there antigays on this site? i would find it very ironic if someone on the autism spectreme would hate someone for being different

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 8:02 pm

DiabloDave363 wrote:
Descartes wrote:

are there antigays on this site? i would find it very ironic if someone on the autism spectreme would hate someone for being different

Most of the members of this website are quite tolerant-minded, but there still are several members I can think of who hold some anti-gay sentiments. I won't mention names, but peruse through the News and Politics forums and you should know what I'm talking about.

quietbird
Raven
Raven

16 Jul 2011, 9:40 pm

Yeah, you're really not going to find what you're looking for here.

You should go and ask this question some socially-conservative leaning forum. It's not as though there's a shortage of that sort of thing online.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 10:16 am

It seems to me that this is a bit of an invitation to a flame war.

While that is par for the course on any given same-sex-marriage/abortion/"George-Soros-is-a-Nazi"/"Fox-News-presents-revealed-Truth(TM)" thread in PPR, I am not sure that it's the best use of the LGBT forum.

awes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2011, 3:26 pm

maybe you homosexual people talk too much about your sexuality.
maybe we all talk too much about our sexuality.
as long as this topic gets that much attention, everybody will be oversensitive about the differences.
it seems "gay" or "fa***t" or general "sex" today are frequently used words in our vocabulary, oftener used than words like "politics", or "brother" or "sister" or "good" or "bad". I don't think this depends on sexuality. the sixties brought us sexual freedom, but now regular people do nothing else and think about nothing else. it's naturally.
it's said that in the States there are much more hater than where I live, in Europe.
cause here in Austria there's nearly no violence or hate against different people. even if some homosexuals or foreigners are extremely oversensitive. dunno.
It anoys me to hear everybody talking about sex, since it should be such a private and emotional aspect of life.
It really hurts me, since I can't respect humans who behave like instinctdriven animals.
in fact: what reason in the world forces anybody to tell others his or her sexuality if he or she doesn't love the person he needs to tell? isn't it the same if someone who isn't gay says to someone who isn't gay too he loves her and she sais doesn't want him as if someone who is gay says to someone who isn't gay he loves him and he sais he doesn't want him in the worst case? what's the difference when the reason is sexuality to when the reason is something else like for example sympathy? you know, I understand that nobody thinks so far. but if they did it could eliminate many irrational problems.
i hope you wouldn't mind if I open a new Thread all about that in another Discussion Topic, because it isn't only about homosexuals and I think it would be reasonable :o

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 3:39 pm

awes wrote:
as long as this topic gets that much attention, everybody will be oversensitive about the differences.
it seems "gay" or "fa***t" or general "sex" today are frequently used words in our vocabulary, oftener used than words like "politics", or "brother" or "sister" or "good" or "bad". I don't think this depends on sexuality. the sixties brought us sexual freedom, but now regular people do nothing else and think about nothing else. it's naturally.
it's said that in the States there are much more hater than where I live, in Europe.
cause here in Austria there's nearly no violence or hate against different people. even if some homosexuals or foreigners are extremely oversensitive. dunno.
It anoys me to hear everybody talking about sex, since it should be such a private and emotional aspect of life.
It really hurts me, since I can't respect humans who behave like instinctdriven animals.
in fact: what reason in the world forces anybody to tell others his or her sexuality if he or she doesn't love the person he needs to tell? isn't it the same if someone who isn't gay says to someone who isn't gay too he loves her and she sais doesn't want him as if someone who is gay says to someone who isn't gay he loves him and he sais he doesn't want him in the worst case? what's the difference when the reason is sexuality to when the reason is something else like for example sympathy? you know, I understand that nobody thinks so far. but if they did it could eliminate many irrational problems.
i hope you wouldn't mind if I open a new Thread all about that in another Discussion Topic, because it isn't only about homosexuals and I think it would be reasonable :o

I agree with this.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 10:28 am

awes wrote:

Well, there is no escaping the fact that we are sexual beings, and a healthy sex life is an important component of a healthy life.

I reject the notion that sexuality is private. Sexual behaviour most certainly is. But sexuality isn't just about a person's sexual behaviour, it is also about how a person builds a family.

Quote:

Look around you. Heterosexuals are telling others about their sexuality each and every day. The people who put photographs of their children on their desk at work? They are telling everyone about their sexuality. The man who talks about the vacation that he and his wife took, is telling others about his sexuality. Count the number of times that men mention their wives/girlfriends, or women their husbands/boyfriends during typical conversations.

When I mention my partner, I am accused of "flaunting" my sexuality. No such accusation lies on my heterosexual colleague who "shares" a story about him and his wife.

When my family is treated with the same dignity and respect as my colleague's family, then we will have arrived at equality. Until then, there is still much for us to say.

Quote:

One of the beauties of WP is that there is freedom to open threads about just about anything--and more than likely a forum that will provide a good discussion on it.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 12:40 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Look around you. Heterosexuals are telling others about their sexuality each and every day. The people who put photographs of their children on their desk at work? They are telling everyone about their sexuality. The man who talks about the vacation that he and his wife took, is telling others about his sexuality. Count the number of times that men mention their wives/girlfriends, or women their husbands/boyfriends during typical conversations.

When I mention my partner, I am accused of "flaunting" my sexuality. No such accusation lies on my heterosexual colleague who "shares" a story about him and his wife.

I was including this in my agreement of the above poster. I think that people (including heterosexuals) shove their sexuality in others' faces without considering that maybe no one cares. American society is hypersexualized because of historical and present attitudes towards sex. In some other countries, sex is not seen as taboo and is seen as just another part of life.

I am neither gay nor straight since I am third gender (I prefer to date only men, though). I don't publicly flaunt my sexual preferences or my transsexualism. I think most people don't care what is in my pants or what goes on in my bedroom. I will, however, participate in intelligent conversations about sexuality (like this one).

As far as the OT, I think straights bashing gays (or vice versa) is just another "my group is better than yours" thing. I also agree that a flame war isn't the way to go about getting answers to this question. Unfortunately, discussions on sexual orientation seem to get people all worked up.

I say live and let live. I don't want to know who other people are sleeping with. That's TMI. But, that's just my preference.

typing-with-mittens
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jul 2011, 3:01 am

awes wrote:
It annoys me to hear everybody talking about sex, since it should be such a private and emotional aspect of life.
It really hurts me, since I can't respect humans who behave like instinct driven animals.

When a group of people, a religion or a political party try to limit your rights, your freedoms and even your lifespan because of your sexuality then people will often fight back, often with any means necessary, to preserve what the Constitution guarantees to all people. They can believe in whatever sky faerie or political belief they want to, but when they try to limit our rights or threaten my friends lives or even my own then there will be significant consequence to their bigoted actions.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 11:30 am

kouzoku wrote:
I was including this in my agreement of the above poster. I think that people (including heterosexuals) shove their sexuality in others' faces without considering that maybe no one cares. American society is hypersexualized because of historical and present attitudes towards sex. In some other countries, sex is not seen as taboo and is seen as just another part of life.

I am neither gay nor straight since I am third gender (I prefer to date only men, though). I don't publicly flaunt my sexual preferences or my transsexualism. I think most people don't care what is in my pants or what goes on in my bedroom. I will, however, participate in intelligent conversations about sexuality (like this one).

As far as the OT, I think straights bashing gays (or vice versa) is just another "my group is better than yours" thing. I also agree that a flame war isn't the way to go about getting answers to this question. Unfortunately, discussions on sexual orientation seem to get people all worked up.

I say live and let live. I don't want to know who other people are sleeping with. That's TMI. But, that's just my preference.

But do you want to know who other people are living with? Do you mind when people tell you who they are married to?

I don't particularly like any reference to my sexual orientation being interpreted as a statement about my sexual behaviour. There is, after all, more to being gay than just sex.

awes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2011, 5:45 pm

kouzoku wrote:
visagrunt wrote:

absolutely right.
I didn't go into opposition, I didn't talk about what you should do and straight guys do anyway. And just as I thought I would have said in my previous post, it didn't categorize heterosexual, homosexual (and of course "transexual" which equals heterosexual in my eyes anyway...)
I was talking about what obviously is and what obviously is a big mistake of society that we just accept because we have grown used to it.
@visagrunt: if you are talking about having sex with every attractive person who is willing, like underprivileged people do in clubs or bars every night just as a hobby when you talk about a healthy sex life, then surely you have to mark yourself as heterosexual or homosexual, but if you talk about loving someone and having sex as a big aspect of this love, why should we make such a big deal of it? it's natural. and I know that you don't make a big deal of it. like everyone else should too. Are you forced to keep your sexuality behind or lie about it? sometimes it seems that homosexuals feel more uncomfortable about their sexuality than others feel when they hear that. I thought homosexuals just wouldn't show off with their "conquests" because they are yet used to the thought of respecting each other to much to think of them as sextoys.
I think you totally misunderstood my comment, since I know that everybody is talking about their sexuality :
"It anoys me to hear everybody talking about sex, since it should be such a private and emotional aspect of life.
It really hurts me, since I can't respect humans who behave like instinctdriven animals. "

And with this two verses I meant nothing but Sex, not family life.

Maybe you just live in the wrong country, I mentioned that before. maybe you socialize with the wrong social class.
in Austria and also Germany there are only very few haters. and even they are just uneducated idiots grown up in poor circumstances. (of course I talk about the cities, the hillbillies are certainly worse...)
it's a matter of course here that some men love men and some women love women, and they live with it just as a matter of course. no matter if work or school. yes, already in school. boys (not earlier than 15/16 years though) treat them as boys and girls (no matter which age in this case since they don't feel uncomfortable with the idea a boy could love another boy because they actually aren't a boy themselves) treat them more like they treat other girls.
so it seems the awful educational system of the united states and the church are to blame. (most here haven't got a religion, even if they were meant to be catholics or protestants) church has got a very bad influence on Americans it seems, right?
but it maybe would help you to also just treat your sexuality as a matter of course, but not in an arrogant or maybe even provoking way, just like everyone else does. in an unforced way, so they can accept that like any other information.
if you are uncomfortable with talking about it, they will feel that and will feel uncomfortable with it too.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 11:32 am

I drafted a reply, but then thought better about sending it.

I think we are getting lost in translation here, and we are more concerned about tone than about substance.

When I speak of sexuality, I am speaking of my sexual orientation, and the elements of my daily life (particularly my family) that are impacted by that.

I use the term sexual behaviour to talk about the sexual activity that I engage in.

I freely talk about the former. I am very private about the latter.

(And as for living in the wrong country--I would stack Canada against Austria any day of the week!)

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 1:22 pm

This all reminds me... why is it perfectly acceptable to announce to the office that your pregnant wife is now dilated x centimeters, but if you hold hands with a same sex partner, that's flaunting? It drives me nuts that the world is not logical. :lol:

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 2:34 pm

visagrunt wrote:
I freely talk about the former. I am very private about the latter.

I think we are on the same page, then. That's what I meant, too. :)