Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 12:18 pm

This is meant to be light hearted!

You ever feel like you don't fit into 'straight society', then you go on the scene and you don't relate to people there either. This is the stereotypical bi girl stuff that alienates me:
- burlesque
- roller derby
- Slutwalks
- corsets
- being more straight than gay (most of them seem that way)
- generally being extremely sexy in an alternative way

Then, there's lesbians. Stereotypical stuff I don't relate to:
- I've never even seen the L-word once
- I'm crap at sport
- I don't like Hebden Bridge (that's a small town full of lesbians in the North of England)
- the music they generally like (I don't know what it is and it varies with the age of the lesbian, but it's generally stuff I don't like)
- There's this chavvy dyke look in the gay village in Manchester, with the fake tan and bleached hair, but with butch sports clothes instead of dresses and heels (and without fake nails obviously, or that would lead to the Accident and Emergency room.) It's very ugly.

I'm sure there's more. I want to see other people rip into queer stereotypes.

pia_pia
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 May 2013, 3:51 pm

this should be hilarious...

in the eastern united states, or well the new york city area, lesbians come in only two types

butch
-very short, shaved or cropped hair standing straight up
-motley of piercings and tattoos
-skinny jeans
-converse sneakers
-exaggerated masculine swagger walk

femme
-shaved or cropped hair, dyed multiple colors at once
-motley of piercings and tattoos
-mini dress
-heels or converse sneakers
-or skinny jeans

gay guys
-sleeveless muscle shirt (muscles or not)
-skinny jeans
-converses or canvas slippers

bisexuals and trans folks
-they just fit in, you'd never be able to tell

pride festivals feel like you're meeting hundreds of the same person, they seem to all love slow indie guitar songs and whatever the latest protest trend is, slutwalk or symbolic scream-fest for domestic violence victims, lying down in the middle of the road.... actually it would be great if they did that last one.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 5:22 pm

Well, it's hard to say what "third gender" stereotypes are, but I definitely don't fit into the androgynous one.

Most "andro" pics I see are just women who crop their hair and wear men's clothes. That's not andro at all! That's wearing men's clothes!! ! And vice versa... just one gender adopting the stereotypical attributes of the other!

Or genderqueer people obsessed with things like David Bowie. I don't identify with that, either!

I have a lot of unique attributes which neither men or women have.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 7:08 pm

kouzoku wrote:

Or genderqueer people obsessed with things like David Bowie. I don't identify with that, either!

I like/am obsessed with pretty much any rock band where the main songwriter is a bisexual bloke. Except Bowie - he just seems a bit artificial and reptilian. And Brian Molko - he's a tit and Placebo are crap. Oh, and I guess Green Day count as well; I haven't listened to them since I was 13.

I've said this before, but I see it as a 'male divas' thing. Like when gay men get obsessed with Marilyn Monroe or Judy Garland. I feel like this should be a queer female stereotype, except I don't know any other women who do it. I've known a few lesbians into Morrissey, but I guess Moz is probably at least 90% gay. He totally should have done Eurovision like he said he was going to, that would've been of the best nights of my life.

GeOrg
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2013, 10:59 am

I'm lesbian (most of the time). Still,

-I don't wear flannel shirts
-my hair's quite long
-I don't have camouflage clothes (well, not anymore)
-I don't play ice hockey, football or any other team sports
-I haven't studied women's studies (I'm somewhat interested in them, though)

That is meaningless to me
-The Ark

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 11:16 am

kouzoku wrote:
Most "andro" pics I see are just women who crop their hair and wear men's clothes. That's not andro at all! That's wearing men's clothes!! ! And vice versa... just one gender adopting the stereotypical attributes of the other!

It is kind of interesting that male is considered the "default" gender. So certain outfits that aren't gender specific (such as jeans/t-shirts) still get lumped in as "male" gender expression. People who don't have enough female-specific characteristics are just viewed as male.

I identify as agender, and prefer to not express gender at all, and just wear whatever's comfortable. People tell me that I should wear more girl things, or more of a mix of things, but that's bigender expression, and is not what I'm going for.

It's quite frustrating when I actually do need to buy clothes. I was looking for a gym/workout outfit, something like the gym uniforms everyone wore in school, but most everything was divided into "mens" this or "womens" that. Why can't I get a pair of shorts that's just a pair of shorts?

Last edited by Rorberyllium on 19 May 2013, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 11:18 am

puddingmouse wrote:
I've known a few lesbians into Morrissey, but I guess Moz is probably at least 90% gay.

Everything I've read identifies Morrissey as a biromantic asexual, but it's not something he talks about much.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2013, 6:45 pm

Rorberyllium wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
I've known a few lesbians into Morrissey, but I guess Moz is probably at least 90% gay.

Everything I've read identifies Morrissey as a biromantic asexual, but it's not something he talks about much.

He's definitely biromantic. I never really believed the whole celibate thing, though. I think he said fairly recently in an interview that he does actually like shagging blokes- but I haven't read it myself.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 5:41 am

I'm a gay man but:
-I don't pay any attention to fashion
-I do not lisp
-I don't care for Lady Gaga, Madonna, Judy Garland, Kylie Minogue, or Kristin Chenoweth
-I never go out clubbing
-The only attention which I pay to my hair is to flatten down my bed-head each morning (there are straight guys who put more effort into styling their hair then I do)
-I don't engage in casual sex

I will admit, however, to the fact that I adore musicals.

antipolar
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jun 2013, 11:09 pm

Gay Things I Don't Do:
- Don't really pay attention to fashion.
- I will never wear skinny jeans :P
- Not a big sandle person.
- I prefer graphic t-shirts over button ups.
- I don't shave my body hair.
- I don't spend hours in the gym.
- Not a big techno fan.
- I don't dance (unless it's line dancing).

Gay Things I Do:
- I love musicals.
- I occasionally listen to Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, etc.
- I go to the clubs (but it's normally to hang out with friends).

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 6:13 am

Is the musical thing only for gay guys or girls as well? I am a lesbian and I love musicals (especially Les Miserables at the moment)