Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 1:56 pm

When did we decide that it was acceptable posting behavior to gang up on someone? What I am seeing here looks an awful lot like bullying goldfish21, and I can't say that I like it.

Are we really engaging ourselves over the question of whether he is Aspie enough to participate?

Now, if goldfish21's experience causes you discomfort, because he enjoys relative ease in an aspect of your life that you find difficult or unsatisfactory, then I think it is perfectly fair to say so. But to ascribe motives to him and to suggest that he has just popped in here to brag is conduct unbecoming us.

On the flip side, goldfish21, let's remember that this is a forum in which a lot of people look for support. A little bit of sensitivity around the message, "I'm on the way to curing my autism," might become you.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 10:53 am

You lost me a little with that last statement.

It doesn't make any logical sense to me that I shouldn't say that I'm doing what I'm doing, drastically reducing Autism symptoms & potentially permanently curing myself. I'm not saying it and saying that I'll never reveal how I'm doing it. I'm just saying it because it's a matter of fact and I will eventually be sharing what I've done. Besides, whether it's me doing it for myself or some other forum member for themselves, why wouldn't others be interested in hearing about it? Makes sense to me that it might just be the most valuable info I could ever share on these boards & thus I'm not going to keep it to myself. Granted, all I've stated is that I'm doing so - but not what or how, so I can see how that may be annoying/frustrating for others to read. All in due time I'll share everything completely transparently.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 3:57 pm

^^^
I believe your motive is a noble one, but keep in mind that you have your work cut out for you as far as convincing a lot of injured [by life] people here that horatio alger can work. IOW it is all uphill, and a steep one fraught with pitfalls.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 6:15 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

It doesn't make any logical sense to me that I shouldn't say that I'm doing what I'm doing, drastically reducing Autism symptoms & potentially permanently curing myself. I'm not saying it and saying that I'll never reveal how I'm doing it. I'm just saying it because it's a matter of fact and I will eventually be sharing what I've done. Besides, whether it's me doing it for myself or some other forum member for themselves, why wouldn't others be interested in hearing about it? Makes sense to me that it might just be the most valuable info I could ever share on these boards & thus I'm not going to keep it to myself. Granted, all I've stated is that I'm doing so - but not what or how, so I can see how that may be annoying/frustrating for others to read. All in due time I'll share everything completely transparently.

Don't you think that every person has tried to overcome their presentations? Don't you think that if it was a straightforward (albeit difficult) as you describe, that there would be myriad tales of success?

Whether you intend it or not, there is an arrogance to your posts, and it is off-putting.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 12:03 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^
I believe your motive is a noble one, but keep in mind that you have your work cut out for you as far as convincing a lot of injured [by life] people here that horatio alger can work. IOW it is all uphill, and a steep one fraught with pitfalls.

Oh, I'm well aware of that uphill battle.. I've been waging it with family members. Some are interested in trying what I'm doing to treat themselves and see if it works for them as it is for me, and others - who could really benefit from it - are far too stubborn to believe a) that what I'm doing working so well even though they can see the results in me for themselves b) that they even are afflicted by several of the same mental issues & thus not accepting their own ADHD/ASD etc they refuse to deal with it in themselves at all yet c) that they need to do this, as some don't see themselves as as bad off and in need of treatment d) others are just too damned stubborn.. so, I'm well aware that it's an uphill battle, so when I do share the details I've what I'm doing and why/how it's working, it'll be a take it or leave it thing. Those who are interested in trying it to help themselves are free to do so, those who aren't interested can feel free to do as they've always done and get as they've always gotten. Myself, personally, I couldn't accept that and had to find a better way to live, as there is always a better way to do everything.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 12:10 am

visagrunt wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Don't you think that every person has tried to overcome their presentations? Don't you think that if it was a straightforward (albeit difficult) as you describe, that there would be myriad tales of success?

Whether you intend it or not, there is an arrogance to your posts, and it is off-putting.

Of course we've all tried to overcome these things. Not knowing what I was afflicted by for most of my life, I've intuitively had to overcome them all my life. The last few years were really bad and I've had some massive struggles with it. I know all too well how frustrating it is to deal with a brain that isn't functioning optimally.

There are some other tales of success out there, but I don't think there's a large number of people who've figured this out and treated themselves. That's not completely true, there are many tales of people online treating this in themselves, but I haven't seen very many in the Autism community specifically. It does make me wonder if others who've successfully treated this in themselves and improved their brain function/thinking etc perhaps suffered from Autism traits but had no idea that's what those symptoms even were, possibly just attributing them to depression/anxiety/ADHD etc and not realizing that they too were/are on the Autism spectrum. That is a distinct possibility, especially since I am not the first person to treat and heal this specific root cause - not by far.

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2013, 1:48 am

goldfish21 wrote:
There are some other tales of success out there, but I don't think there's a large number of people who've figured this out and treated themselves. That's not completely true, there are many tales of people online treating this in themselves, but I haven't seen very many in the Autism community specifically. It does make me wonder if others who've successfully treated this in themselves and improved their brain function/thinking etc perhaps suffered from Autism traits but had no idea that's what those symptoms even were, possibly just attributing them to depression/anxiety/ADHD etc and not realizing that they too were/are on the Autism spectrum. That is a distinct possibility, especially since I am not the first person to treat and heal this specific root cause - not by far.

Dude, I don't want to gang up on you, and I'm not trying to bully anyone, but you're just not doing your credibility any favours with statements like this. If you say that your method has worked on people who did not have autism than that suggests that you may not have autism either. You have no proof that you ever had autism (i.e. you were never diagnosed), and I understand that many symptoms of (for example) ADHD can look like autism. Your statement above does not say what you think it says.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 2:36 am

Aspendos wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Dude, I don't want to gang up on you, and I'm not trying to bully anyone, but you're just not doing your credibility any favours with statements like this. If you say that your method has worked on people who did not have autism than that suggests that you may not have autism either. You have no proof that you ever had autism (i.e. you were never diagnosed), and I understand that many symptoms of (for example) ADHD can look like autism. Your statement above does not say what you think it says.

The only reason to get a formal diagnosis around here is to collect social assistance money. I refused to do that. I read "The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome," (as well as other books) and the signs and symptoms fit to a T, describing my entire life from thought processes to sensory experiences to various neurological functions, behavioural traits, the prosody of my voice etc etc. I don't need a Psychiatrist's, or your, seal of approval to know what my life's experiences have been. That's like saying one can't know their compound fractured leg is broken until it's officially diagnosed by an MD - which is equally ridiculous.

Besides, as I've said a few times: Be as skeptical as you like. Try what I'm doing & see if it works for you. That's the only way anyone else will know whether it works for them or not - and that would not change one iota if I had gotten myself an official diagnosis, would it? Nope.

ADHD has a some similar diagnostic criteria to Autism, but there are many distinct differences. Again, I know what I've lived. I don't need you to approve of it for me to know any better.

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2013, 11:29 am

goldfish21 wrote:
That's like saying one can't know their compound fractured leg is broken until it's officially diagnosed by an MD

Not the same. Nope. Wish it was that easy.

goldfish21 wrote:
I don't need you to approve of it

Didn't say you did.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 12:39 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
The only reason to get a formal diagnosis around here is to collect social assistance money. I refused to do that. I read "The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome," (as well as other books) and the signs and symptoms fit to a T, describing my entire life from thought processes to sensory experiences to various neurological functions, behavioural traits, the prosody of my voice etc etc. I don't need a Psychiatrist's, or your, seal of approval to know what my life's experiences have been. That's like saying one can't know their compound fractured leg is broken until it's officially diagnosed by an MD - which is equally ridiculous.

Besides, as I've said a few times: Be as skeptical as you like. Try what I'm doing & see if it works for you. That's the only way anyone else will know whether it works for them or not - and that would not change one iota if I had gotten myself an official diagnosis, would it? Nope.

ADHD has a some similar diagnostic criteria to Autism, but there are many distinct differences. Again, I know what I've lived. I don't need you to approve of it for me to know any better.

We live in the same city, and I can tell you flat out that a diagnosis does not qualify one to collect welfare. People who need welfare are, in fact, in no position to pursue a diagnosis because they cannot pay out of pocket for the diagnostic services required.

For a child, the primary reason to pursue diagnosis is to identify impediments to success in the school system, and inform alternatives.

For an adult, there are fewer reasons to pursue diagnosis precisely because there are very few social services available for adults on the spectrum other than those whose deficits are so profound that they are already in the social services system.

I don't doubt your belief in your observations, and your belief in the changes that you have observed. But you cannot examine yourself objectively. None of us can.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 10:43 pm

visagrunt wrote:
I don't doubt your belief in your observations, and your belief in the changes that you have observed. But you cannot examine yourself objectively. None of us can.

I know full well what my mindset, executive functions, audio sensitivity, focus, depression, ANXIETY, and a myriad of other brain functions were like before doing this and what they're like now. The difference is night and day and very obvious. Also, one could measure and observe themselves if they wanted to. They just have to know what to measure and observe, like managing anything & monitoring for improvement - whether a production process or a medical patient, measurement & tracking are all the same. ie If I felt like taking a depression test and scoring the results I could compare them to previous results from over a year ago etc. And while more qualitative than quantitative, the unprompted observations and comments/compliments from others on how I've changed the last handful of months are further evidence that I have in fact changed and it's noticeable.

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2013, 3:10 am

goldfish21 wrote:
visagrunt wrote:

I know full well what my mindset, executive functions, audio sensitivity, focus, depression, ANXIETY, and a myriad of other brain functions were like before doing this and what they're like now. The difference is night and day and very obvious.

The issue we ask you to consider is that none of this is necessarily a symptom of autism. I don't know what you mean by "mindset", but executive functions and focus may be impaired due to ADHD, anxiety may be general anxiety disorder, audio sensitivity may be sensory processing disorder, depression may be caused by all of this rather than autism - all of these have a high rate of co-morbidity with autism, but all of them exist independently of autism. None of this is a required symptom of autism that would get you a professional diagnosis. Just trying to open you up to the possibility that you may have something that is actually curable, unlike autism.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2013, 11:11 am

Aspendos wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
visagrunt wrote:

I know full well what my mindset, executive functions, audio sensitivity, focus, depression, ANXIETY, and a myriad of other brain functions were like before doing this and what they're like now. The difference is night and day and very obvious.

The issue we ask you to consider is that none of this is necessarily a symptom of autism. I don't know what you mean by "mindset", but executive functions and focus may be impaired due to ADHD, anxiety may be general anxiety disorder, audio sensitivity may be sensory processing disorder, depression may be caused by all of this rather than autism - all of these have a high rate of co-morbidity with autism, but all of them exist independently of autism. None of this is a required symptom of autism that would get you a professional diagnosis. Just trying to open you up to the possibility that you may have something that is actually curable, unlike autism.

As I stated, when I read "The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome," e v e r y t h i n g fit to a T & described my entire life's experiences. It was definitely a "aah-ha! THIS is it!" experience reading that book. Not just a couple of traits here and there, but damned near every last one of them mentioned.

There may be multiple causes of Autism. Some say it's genetic, others say it's vaccine induced, and based on my experience it's been due to a curable illness possibly in combination with a genetic predisposition - because not everyone who has this ailment has Autistic symptoms. It's possible that I may still have "residual," symptoms forever & that the curable part simply amplifies symptoms to the nth degree. Time will tell. So far I still have retained some of the positive symptoms I wouldn't mind keeping, ie visual thinking for problem solving, but time will tell if that fades/disappears as well.

I think you need to be more open minded yourself & consider the possibility that what I'm saying is fact, that Autism can either be caused by - or greatly amplified by - an actual curable physical ailment. How else would you explain fluctuations in the severity of symptoms over the years of HFA peoples' lives? Our genetics don't change, but our symptoms do... have a read of just about anyone's posts on this forum and you'll read that they had either worse or better symptoms at various points in their life, or that some symptom or another is getting really bad lately - ie audio sensory overload &/or anxiety, executive functions etc. It's been my experience, not just opinion, that these things fluctuate along with the severity of an actual physical illness. (possibly in combination with genetic predisposition.)

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2013, 11:34 am

goldfish21 wrote:
I think you need to be more open minded yourself & consider the possibility that what I'm saying is fact, that Autism can either be caused by - or greatly amplified by - an actual curable physical ailment. How else would you explain fluctuations in the severity of symptoms over the years of HFA peoples' lives? Our genetics don't change, but our symptoms do... have a read of just about anyone's posts on this forum and you'll read that they had either worse or better symptoms at various points in their life, or that some symptom or another is getting really bad lately - ie audio sensory overload &/or anxiety, executive functions etc. It's been my experience, not just opinion, that these things fluctuate along with the severity of an actual physical illness. (possibly in combination with genetic predisposition.)

Not disputing that symptoms get more or less severe over time. The usual seems to be that they get less severe in young adulthood and more severe again toward middle age - the so-called middle-age burnout. This seems to be caused mainly by external stressors (job, family, increasing responsibilities, or the opposite, the growing realization that one is not able to achieve such goals). Don't think I've heard this blamed on physical illness yet, and that the biographical pattern repeats itself in this way makes it seem rather unlikely. Looking forward to hearing more about it in due course.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2013, 12:01 pm

Unless you can demonstrate how you've controlled for bias confirmation, I'm going to have to take your claims with a fairly substantial grain of salt.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2013, 11:37 pm

I can tell you that the treatment regiment I'm putting myself through is the only thing I've changed at that the results have been, on a scale from 1-10, miraculous. Also, since I never set out to do this as a documented experiment I have not recorded medical evidence via photographs or lab tests of cultured samples etc that are all possible for someone to document and prove they had a certain type of illness. I've just gone ahead and done this for myself and it's working. Again, everyone can feel free to take it all with a massive grain of salt - be as skeptical as you like. I'd prefer people opted to not believe it unless it worked for them, too, so ideally people would read what I have to say (later) and see what dots I've connected and why/how this makes sense.. yet still not fully believe it w/o experiencing it for themselves and then opt to try the treatment process I'm putting myself through and see if they have positive results for themselves. I think it would suck if people read it and dismissed it as BS w/o being willing to give it a try for themselves first. But I know full well there are a lot of stubborn people among us who will refused to try to better themselves because they believe they cannot be healed/improved, and others who are just too stubborn, others who have no interest in changing anything about themselves or working towards a cure etc. But for those who are willing to try something/anything to change their lives, well, it's for those people to try.