Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 2:24 pm

Best wishes to you all ! !

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 8:28 pm

"all" the boys on okcupid have such annoying profiles :evil:

and the pictures are all the person smiling and having a good time with friends.

aaronzx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Nov 2013, 3:30 am

AdamAutistic wrote:

and the pictures are all the person smiling and having a good time with friends.

All those pictures are their best photo that has been heavily filtered by instagram, taken with myspace angles of course. This is the reason I despise online dating, it's hard to see how what someone truly looks like with photos.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 11:24 am

Yep, I try to remember that almost all online dating pics show people at their absolute (if not unrealistic) best.

Few things make me ignore someone faster than a pic of them having wild and crazy good times with a big group of friends. I've dated social butterflies before, and it has always ended quite quickly.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2013, 6:17 pm

why would they be on a dating site if they have an easy time meeting people?

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2013, 4:40 pm

My 'best' photo is me having a staring contest with a cat I'm holding. 8O

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 10:42 am

AdamAutistic wrote:

Beats me. Having met a few such guys for coffee and/or a few dates, they seem to just genuinely enjoy the experience of meeting new people, and the online thing is just an additional way to do that. (Yeah, that is beyond my comprehension.)

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 8:52 pm

i might just give up on okcupid. all the socialites on it just make me angry.

SydneySputnik
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Dec 2013, 2:12 am

AdamAutistic wrote:

Another quote: "Yep, I try to remember that almost all online dating pics show people at their absolute (if not unrealistic) best. Few things make me ignore someone faster than a pic of them having wild and crazy good times with a big group of friends. I've dated social butterflies before, and it has always ended quite quickly."

And another quote: "best picture is of me staring at a cat".

Hey guys, I have used gay dating sites and apps a fair bit so here is my take on the situation.

Why use it if it's easy for someone to meet people?
- you don't have to go out late to a bar to meet people on a site or app; you can check and write messages any time - before work, lunch break, in your pyjamas at home eating dinner; so you don't have to get dressed nice, put up with crowds, smoking, loud people, drunk people, music, you don't have to buy drinks and pay for transport; and you can make a date any time, and not wait til 10pm to meet someone
- also, you may be too tired or too busy to get to a bar or social function; or you might be getting older and not care for drinking and dancing all night any more

Photos show people at their best/my best photo is of me staring at a cat
- of course they do, but if you can't believe how hot they are, just ask for a few more pics - probably a total of 4 pictures is enough to be sure
- also, play the game! Get your six best photos, preferably some of you doing something awesome that you love, maybe rock climbing, cooking, lying in the sun, exploring some tourist site. If you don't have six, get your friend to take photos of you.
- unique pics are good, showing something of your or their personality; but if the only ones of you are introspective, or all your photos are of the same day, with the same facial expression, that's not good

I don't think you need to either hide yourself, or reveal yourself. That means, don't be too general (e.g. I like reading, I like music) - say something interesting and specific (e.g. I like traveling to learn about history, I like classical music) but not too specific (remember we do tend to obsess), and also my personal feeling is to not say you have autism or AS. If you leave it a bit ambiguous then that lets the other person ask questions. I hate small talk but that is required for getting a date. Go figure!

Once you have a date organised, you have to listen and ask questions despite all your urges to talk, or your urge to shut up through nerves!

Have fun!

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 6:09 pm

i was mr. popular today. i had 4 different guys messaging me. one of them even typed that he might want to date me.

TheVictor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Feb 2014, 5:42 pm

I know the feeling: the dating sites I have found have not yielded satisfactory results... not that I'm "picky," I just have very specific interests, and I find it difficult to carry a conversation about anything else... However, at least I know that when I do find that "someone" that I am looking for, it will be a deep and rewarding relationship... or something romantic and old-fashioned like that. :)

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 4:27 pm

I too would like a BF.
I've never had a partner/sexual relationship before. Yes I've done stuff, but that was just messing about with friends. I'd very much like a boyfriend, and tommoz I am taking the 1st step by giving a guy I like a letter asking him out for a coffee.

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.

gardenia_guy
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Apr 2014, 9:39 am

I am looking well waiting to find someone but im in no hurry there is a lot out there I hope you find someone

Aerykian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 May 2014, 11:21 am

Perhaps this may warrant another thread but in the realm of homosexual relationships do you find it difficult (or does he find it difficult) to date NT? I've been in several relationships, none of them lasting longer than nine months - all of them NT to my knowledge. I'd much prefer to date a guy on the ASD because we could at least relate in that manner.

Forgive me if this is "old news" to some, I've only recently begun to warm up to myself :lol: