Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

pj4990
Raven
Raven

17 Jul 2015, 3:25 pm

I really should have worked this out earlier in life (I'm 29), I'm giving serious consideration that I might be bisexual. Despite having no problem with anyone else's sexuality, I didn't want to be yet another stereotypical bisexual geek girl...now I'm wondering if due to that I've been suppressing something.

My sexuality has been a bit weird most of my life, I was very close to asexual until about 22 but had intense attraction to a very small number of people (about 1 every year or two), all male, and less intense attraction to a similar number, some of which were female but always associated with the male main attraction, so I saw it as a spillover from the heterosexual attraction rather than a true homosexual interest.

One strange thing from when I was a child is that only attraction to girls seemed natural, I had to be told I was "supposed" to be interested in boys. But that was only before puberty. Does that even count as evidence towards adult sexuality?

Any thoughts? This all seems quite hard to work out given the number of complicating factors where my thoughts and feelings haven't followed any normal pattern for any sexuality!

I'm also wondering if this is wishful thinking. I really want to be accepted by the LGBT community because of all the various weirdness that has made my life between awkward and hell over the last couple of decades in really similar ways to some of the LGBT problems but for different reasons, occasional possible interest in girls is not even one of the bits that bothers me. The nearest I've found who understood and accepted me was the asexual community but I didn't feel completely comfortable there either once the mainly-asexuality wore off. I'm happy to be an ally to support them, but I also have problems which I need support back with (the hell of loving someone who doesn't love you back and you can't get over them because you're not capable of attraction to anyone more suitable, getting family and work colleagues to accept polyamory) and it makes me really pissed off that I can't have them. But I do also have some genuine reasons to believe I may be bisexual.

Help? Or just people who don't care what I am but accept the problems are real and don't try to win brownie points for claiming to be more oppressed than me?

cinnabot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jul 2015, 7:40 pm

I had a vaguely similar pattern. Not a real strong attraction to people at all at first, then bi, for a few years. And now I have a strong and inconvenient attraction to men(cis and trans).

I've found the LGBT community to be initially welcoming, until they realize I'm not interested in conforming, and then they go kinda luke-warm.

It affects every kind of LGBT; there's a "right way" and a "wrong way" to do it. Just seems to be a consistent aspect of human group behavior, and it tends to hurt the very LGBT people that need a welcoming group the most.

You may never feel a really strong attraction either way. Just try out relationships with people you're attracted to, and be up-front with them that you're really not sure about your sexuality yet. Trying things is the only way I've really been able to verify anything about my feelings towards others, and who I am in general.

There will always be people telling you that you aren't doing it right; that you don't belong, and they do. You can either conform, or you can be you. I hope you choose the latter, because in the long run, you'll make much better friends that way, that value you for who you are, not for how well you match a stereotype.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 7:54 pm

Human sexuality is one of the most complex things imaginable. Honestly, I put more stress upon myself trying to figure out what labels fit me rather than simply pursuing relationships in whomever I find desirable. Finding someone you love and being comfortable with yourself is far more important than finding out what specific word(s) best attempt to describe you.

Likewise, one should never really go looking for "acceptance" from the LGBT community. The "gay community" can often be the most prejudiced and conformist community there is...there's still a pervasive misconception among them that bisexuality doesn't even exist!

In the end, you are you. Your unique feelings are what make you special; it doesn't matter how the LGBT community as a whole perceives you, it's just you and the people you love and who love you back who really matter.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 4:42 pm

I'm 25 and I too think I might be bisexual, but because I live with a pair of homophobes, I have to act like I'm straight because my mom has threatened to have me arrested if I come out as LGBT. My sister is asexual and expects me to be the same as her.

WizardPumpkin1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Oct 2015, 11:34 am

I have Asperger's jointly-diagnosed with NVLD--and I'm bisexual; and I'm completely comfortable with it. I guess I've known since I was a young kid, and I came out about four years ago. I like girls and guys about the same, but in very different ways. I am completely open to having relationships with either females or males. People's stereotypes CAN get annoying, though, when people say "Oh, you should just pick one..." Actually, an advisor at one of my schools said this to me once. He said, "You know, at some point you're going to realize you have to pick one. You'll probably end up being either straight or gay..." b***h, I LIKE BOTH SEXES IN A SEXUAL WAY: I AM UNABLE (and, coincidentally, unwilling) TO "JUST PICK ONE" FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR COMFORT. Lol, people can be ignorant. Plus, he was gay! Anyways... I've also had people tell me I'm "confused". I'm not confused. I, just like anyone else, whether they're gay or straight or ace or pan or whatever, was wired this way from the time of my development as a fetus. To these people who say it "can't" be right, I say "Get over yourselves".
...On that note, have a nice day !
:P

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 7:50 pm

I've been attracted to girls for a long time, but never really thought of myself as lesbian [possibly because I am also interested in guys].

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Malaise
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Nov 2015, 4:30 pm

On the topic of a bisexual geek girl stereotype, I think there may be some added visibility here because geek culture can be very open and open-minded about gender and orientation. I browse a few communities for bi/lesbian women and there are quite a few non-geeks.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 4:59 pm

^I agree!
Over half of the main cast of my book are bi, and all of them are asexual, but there are some male--female couples as well [I don't like using the word 'straight' in this context because I think it sounds ridiculous].

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII