Are men with aspergers effeminate and women tomboys?

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 4:28 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
< / rant on >
Also, I didn't catch this the first time I posted that chart but WTF is "gender defiant disorder" & I have to ask why the researchers who coined it felt not falling into a binary should be labelled a "disorder" when everything is working just fine?
< / rant off >

It's saying that ASD is a disorder that causes people to defy gender.

JennaTheAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2016, 11:58 am

I'm a girly girl and I have Aspergers. I think it's different for everyone.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 1:53 pm

JennaTheAspie wrote:
I'm a girly girl and I have Aspergers. I think it's different for everyone.

Absolutely! The study was reporting statistical aggregates. In other words, trends over large numbers of people studied. It is descriptive of the group, not prescriptive for any given individual.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 5:06 pm

I have no problem being associated with being "in the middle" considering the fact I am genderqueer xD

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 7:07 pm

I consider myself to be neither feminine nor masculine.

Nine7752
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jun 2016, 7:24 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
Some behavior is innate, some is learned. Since we sometimes aren't so adept at picking up on social learning, we tend to not absorb that part unless we strive to do so intentionally. So, many of us appear somewhat more toward the center.

I have never thought of it that way. Thank you, Edenthiel.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 2:33 am

Eden explained it the best. Yes, some autistic males are effeminate and some autistic women are tomboys, but really it's just a general statistic of being less gender conforming in general.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 2:28 pm

I do wonder how much that graph even applies to me giving the fact I'm not European.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 5:36 pm

The answer to the OP's question:

I don't find most Aspie men to be effeminate.

A "tomboy" does not have to be a masculine; I've met some feminine tomboys; I've gone out with a few.

I find most female Aspies to not be overly masculine.

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2016, 3:30 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The answer to the OP's question:

I don't find most Aspie men to be effeminate.

A "tomboy" does not have to be a masculine; I've met some feminine tomboys; I've gone out with a few.

I find most female Aspies to not be overly masculine.

Isn't tomboy the girl or woman who behave like a guy/boy? or who have masculine interestings?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 9:57 am

A Tomboy usually has some "masculine" interests, and tends to dress heedless of gender; they usually don't go out of their way to dress "masculine."

The majority of "interests" cannot be classified into gender. Carpentry, for example, is gender-neutral in my opinion. I've known women who are great at it, and guys who suck at it. It's usually seen as being a "masculine" interest, though.

Same with sports. Many women like sports. They are some of the most rabid fans. It used to be a "masculine" interest. Not any more!

I've known definite Tomboys who like guys, and who "feminine" in other ways. They are just not into traditionally "feminine" things like playing dress-up or whatever.

Becky, in "Tom Sawyer," is an example of a person like that. I used to have a big crush on her when I was a kid.

In terms of sexuality, Tomboys run the gamut.

Jack184
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2016, 7:48 am

Obviously this wouldn't apply to everyone, but I think it does often tend to be the case. Gender norms are to a large extent social constructs, and this is the sort of thing many Aspies have a difficult time picking up on. I probably experience it more than most - I was born male, but I've been questioning my gender a lot lately..

bryanmaloney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jul 2016, 1:31 pm

If you have met one person on the spectrum, you have met one person on the spectrum. I am a man. I have often been characterized as hyper-masculine.

Cintakmarka
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Oct 2016, 7:44 pm

Parents say I'm confused and not a guy. due to my lack of interests in 'masculine' interests. I don't go to bars, clubs, talk about or like sports, don't have obsessions with logo clothing. like sports teams, and so therefore i'm not a guy.

Soulsparrer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Oct 2016, 8:05 pm

NoName93 wrote:
I didn't meet any aspie man or woman in my life. I don't know about the other aspie but I read that aspies act like the other gender and many have stereotypical interests of the other genre. I don't know aboout the other, but I don't consider myself effeminate I have masculine interests and all of my friends are men, but my behavior is not very masculine (but not effeminate) and I try to be more masculine. Is it true that aspies behave like the other gender? And if it true what is the cause?

Not really, I think that sometimes asperger men are seen as stereotypically "nerdy" or "boring" but not "effiminate" per se - though they sometimes might seem nervous or rigid or afraid to take risks which might be seen as slightly more "effiminate" than the average male.

Or since they seem to care less about social conventions, they might be more interested in things that are unconventional to their sex.

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

28 Nov 2016, 10:43 pm

When I was a young boy I used to be effeminate...but then again I was surrounded mostly by girls...aunts & cousins...so I guess that could be a factor....I mean if I were surrounded by dogs I would probably be more doglike .... :lol: