How Would You Envision a Documentary About LGBT Autistics?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Novac96
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 May 2016, 4:17 pm

Over the past few months, I was thinking about what it would be like if a director were to make a film focusing on LGBT people on the autism spectrum. I feel that limited gender and sexuality discussions are had within the broader autism community, solely because-- and this is just my assumption-- it is falsely believed that autistic people are incapable of having a concept of sexuality, or that all of us are asexual with no interest whatsoever in forging romantic relationships (there is also the prevailing stereotype of the hypersexual Aspie/Autistic who cannot control how they present their sexuality, which is almost-always assumed to be heterosexual). Then, I feel that the LGBT community ignores autism and other forms of disability much for similar if not the same reasons, forgetting that we, too, can have such feelings as attraction to the same sex or both sexes or wishing to alter our sex.

I am not a filmmaker, nor do I truly intend on becoming one, but I would like to hear what many have to say in regards to such a documentary film as this ever coming into existence. I know that I would most definitely watch if one were ever to be made-- and truly, with an estimated 500,000 autistic people expected to become adults, the conversation is an important one to have.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 7:34 pm

I love watching documentaries, so I'd certainly like to see a documentary about this. ^^ I feel like it would make me feel less alone, if there were people's stories in it.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 4:06 am

One of the people included definitely needs to be some mtf person on the spectrum.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2016, 9:33 pm

Not sure I'd get much out of watching something like that, tbh. Not really sure what the value would be in it, either.

Why?

I mean, I'm a very HFA gay man and already know from my 24/7 life's experience what being both is all about. I also have met enough aspies to know we're all different from one another.. and enough LGBT people to know we're all a little different from one another, too. So, what exactly would this documentary document? That there's a wide variety of ASD people that slot in somewhere along the LGBT spectrum, too? That's kind of a given.. and thus I'm wondering what the point would be, especially since it would be impossible to include every combination of traits, functioning levels, sexual identification etc so you'd really just be able to scratch the surface on a few ASD queer people's lives.. and for what purpose I'm not really sure.

Novac96
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 May 2016, 1:14 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Not sure I'd get much out of watching something like that, tbh. Not really sure what the value would be in it, either.

Why?

I mean, I'm a very HFA gay man and already know from my 24/7 life's experience what being both is all about. I also have met enough aspies to know we're all different from one another.. and enough LGBT people to know we're all a little different from one another, too. So, what exactly would this documentary document? That there's a wide variety of ASD people that slot in somewhere along the LGBT spectrum, too? That's kind of a given.. and thus I'm wondering what the point would be, especially since it would be impossible to include every combination of traits, functioning levels, sexual identification etc so you'd really just be able to scratch the surface on a few ASD queer people's lives.. and for what purpose I'm not really sure.

You are correct in stating that there would definitely be such great constraints in creating such a documentary film, but I personally feel that there is an absence of autistic voices in mainstream discussion on LGBT issues, and a lack of LGBT voices in discussion on autism/Asperger's issues. That is simply what I have observed, at the very least. I unfortunately have little exposure to other LGBT people outside of the Internet, although I do, like you, know other autistic people who possess a myriad of thoughts and opinions, both on and offline.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2016, 1:29 pm

What is it that autistic voices have to say about lgbt things?

What is it that lgbt people have to say about asd things?

Not really seeing what it is that you think asd/lgbt people need to say differently about these topics.

Novac96
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 May 2016, 5:04 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
What is it that autistic voices have to say about lgbt things?

What is it that lgbt people have to say about asd things?

Not really seeing what it is that you think asd/lgbt people need to say differently about these topics.

I personally feel that, as I have stated in my original post, that it's as if LGBT autistic people are made invisible by the mainstream media, or at least, that is what I have observed. There are people in my life who are convinced that autistic people don't even have a concept of sexuality beyond the basic heterosexual unions that we are inundated with on a daily basis, as if we can't comprehend such a concept as homo/bisexuality. That is why I would find such a documentary to be of interest to me, even if you think the contrary. Of course, it would be impossible to document people of every functioning level and of every socioeconomic background or whatnot. I would simply like it if there were a film out there that simply said... "We exist." That's merely my opinion, and we can agree to disagree.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 2:56 pm

Hmm, interesting. I can see from your perspective why you'd want such a film to exist. I've never heard anyone say that they believe autistic people have some sort of simplified singular concept of sexuality and relationships. I've never really heard many people say much about autism at all, really, aside from the very "scratch the surface" things like knowing that autism exists.

I can see how ignorant people may view autism as very LFA and assume that very LFA don't have a concept of sexual relations etc because people can be stupid like that.

However, I find it kinda odd that some people can't grasp the concept that the neuro diverse can also be sexually diverse. I mean, take a look at the ultra famous example of Jim Parsons. He's about the highest paid actor on primetime TV, an Aspie, AND gay - and nearly everyone knows it, even if they don't watch The Big Bang Theory. I've only ever seen the show a few times, but with just a little exposure to mainstream media it's common knowledge that he's a gay Aspie actor.

As an aside, I think there are a lot more people out there on the spectrum that don't realize they're on the spectrum and that the value in a mainstream viewed ASD documentary would be that a lot of people would have an epiphany and realize that either they or someone they know may be on the autism spectrum.

Novac96
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 May 2016, 3:19 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Hmm, interesting. I can see from your perspective why you'd want such a film to exist. I've never heard anyone say that they believe autistic people have some sort of simplified singular concept of sexuality and relationships. I've never really heard many people say much about autism at all, really, aside from the very "scratch the surface" things like knowing that autism exists.

I can see how ignorant people may view autism as very LFA and assume that very LFA don't have a concept of sexual relations etc because people can be stupid like that.

However, I find it kinda odd that some people can't grasp the concept that the neuro diverse can also be sexually diverse. I mean, take a look at the ultra famous example of Jim Parsons. He's about the highest paid actor on primetime TV, an Aspie, AND gay - and nearly everyone knows it, even if they don't watch The Big Bang Theory. I've only ever seen the show a few times, but with just a little exposure to mainstream media it's common knowledge that he's a gay Aspie actor.

As an aside, I think there are a lot more people out there on the spectrum that don't realize they're on the spectrum and that the value in a mainstream viewed ASD documentary would be that a lot of people would have an epiphany and realize that either they or someone they know may be on the autism spectrum.

And that epiphany that you have mentioned may very well prove to be beneficial to so many individuals of all ages.