My hero maybe said something homophobic

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 10:59 am

There are rumours going around that the guy I admire (no point in saying who because nobody understands my interests on here and also it's just rumours) called someone a d... (rhymes with bike)

I admire him on a superficial level for sport but it's more than that.

I admire him for standing up to bigots in the past, for getting death threats himself and carrying on (real death threats, he had bullets sent to him in the post and terrorists threatened him), speaking out about his mental health problems, speaking out about mental health in general and awareness of it etc.

So he's a good guy 99% of the time.

But I'm bi and I can't stand bigotry.

These are only rumours but there are rumours he called his colleague an incompetent d...

It's a guy I've admired since I was 12 or 13 years old and had a lot in common with and saw as a role model. It's really hurting me that he said this stuff, or that he might have done.

I text my girlfriend to ask her what I should do, whether to leave his picture off the wall or not. She is just ignoring me.

I don't know what to do or how to see the guy anymore?

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 11:20 am

Celebrities and sports stars get to make all their mistakes in the full glare of publicity. When we say something dumb... hopefully no-one notices. You (or me) can't possibly know much about these people.

Take the picture off the wall, put it in a drawer for week... then see what you think about it.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 11:36 am

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 11:39 am

Oh well... that b*ggers up what I've just written in another thread. I hate fitba and I DON'T get the cultural references.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 11:46 am

That was a guess at Neil Lennon ( I know he's been sent bullets in the post ) , the amount of sectarian bigotry he had to put up with is insane.

I just realised I'm in the LGBT section. I only tried to find out what's upsetting TUF. I shall leave now , I feel it's inappropriate , the same as posting in the Womens section

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 11:59 am

You have to get the full context of what he said.

In what way did he say the word that rhymes with bike?

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 12:03 pm

SaveFerris wrote:

:)
Damn I was trying to make it not obvious :)

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 12:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You have to get the full context of what he said.

In what way did he say the word that rhymes with bike?

Don't even know if he did or not.

If he just said 'f... you you're a lazy incompetent chairwoman' I don't care. Even if he shouted.

But if he called her a d.... then I care.

And I don't care about him shouting at the players unless he was shouting at them using racial, sectarian or homophobic slurs.

Football is all about shouty managers, just like showbiz is all about shouty diva type managers. If they don't like that bit of it, they need to step out of the limelight, become social workers or something.

I just hate the use of slurs if he used them on an out lesbian. I think Dempsey is out (openly lesbian). If not then she's still really obviously butch and there's sexism involved against gender non conforming women.

If he said it then he said 'you're coming across like an incompetent d...'*

I can't imagine it though.

And no I haven't had the picture on my wall for a year or so. My thing was 'this art print cost a lot of money so as soon as he leaves Hibs I'm putting it back up unless he joins another SPL club'

It feels weird having other clubs' managers on the wall for obvious reasons.

*I've lived in the English midlands, there are times when saying that word isn't offensive but it's usually something like 'I was walking down the dyke and then I crossed over the bridge of the dyke'. Not calling people it. Bit like the f.. word can mean a cigarette. He wasn't calling her a stream.

And thanks Ferris for actually saying who it is so I can actually address this fully instead of tiptoeing around it.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 12:31 pm

TUF wrote:

And thanks Ferris for actually saying who it is so I can actually address this fully instead of tiptoeing around it.

Sorry dude , I didn't think it was a secret :oops:

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 3:24 pm

I'm ok with some gay jokes as long as they are actually funny. Like in Scary Movie when Greg said "Do you have any idea what those sex-starved convicts do to young boys in prison?" and Ray said "Hey maybe we should call call the police!" :lol:

But some gay jokes are really cruel. Like in MST3K when when Joel made the remark about two male characters "Going to hell" for being in a state of sin just because the movie they were riffing was unintentionally homoerotic. That just wasn't funny. :|

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2019, 11:48 am

SaveFerris wrote:
TUF wrote:

Sorry dude , I didn't think it was a secret :oops:

I think it's ok as long as we say 'allegedly'. It was a secret as in it wasn't in the papers just on the forums etc. I don't think he did it and I don't want him getting more stick than he does already.

If it was true it would be in the papers by now.

He must have just been kicked out for actually shouting at players. They need that sometimes. It's BS.

I've known like 1 gay Rangers fan ever actually. Not a bear lol.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2019, 12:11 pm

Sometimes it's best to not look a gift horse in the mouth. Get your inspiration where you can. And where ever you get it, take it with a grain of salt.

Any human you admire is gonna be just that, a flawed human being. Go ahead and keep admiring them, if you need to, despite, or maybe even precisely because, of their flaws.

oscarinthewild
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Feb 2019, 9:36 pm

https://youtu.be/x-rZ2IFkDkY