Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 6:21 pm

When I was a kid I used to draw a lot. I don't recall what I would draw - sometimes elephants - sometimes super heros. When It was my birthday I want "stuff to help me draw". I would look at all the books in the library on how to draw.
When I went to highschool none of the art teachers wer very impressed with my art. There were some kids who were incredible - like way beyond. One girl quit High School and made her own art and pottery as a job.
I was much better at computers than all the other kids so that is what I went into for a major and job.
Now it seems that I don't know how to draw any more - I never pick up a pencil.
It seems like I need some kind of guide or reason to draw.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 5:12 am

Fenn wrote:
Now it seems that I don't know how to draw any more - I never pick up a pencil.
It seems like I need some kind of guide or reason to draw.

I would love to have something to help you with that, because I have always liked to draw.

But my brain is getting a blank on coming up with suggestions for reasons to try out and see if it works.

And ...
Immediately after saying that, here's an idea - how about starting the drawing action with concept sketches for something to do a 3D rendering of in the computer?

Then I had some health problems with my hands begin to develop in 1990s when I was in my 30s and now here in my 50s my days of drawing are done and over with.

So draw while you physically can draw, that ability can go away.

Edit: here's another idea for a reason to draw something;
"If I were to design a ________________ for a movie set, what would it look like?"

Fill in the blank with anything; chair, coffee mug, front door of a building, somebody's hat, car, plane, boat, spaceship, robot, shrubs under the living room window, the supporting character's pet ...

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 5:24 am

The "If I were to design a ________________ for a movie set, what would it look like?" thing got me started drawing pictures and writing an entire book starting in late 1970s after reading a book of Star Trek short stories in the school library.

One story had Kirk and Enterprise chance upon an unknown alien ship and comment was made that the ship was beautiful.

Hmm, if I were to design a 'beautiful' starship out of my own mind and being, what would it look like ...???

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 7:16 am

Maybe try zentangle? It could be a decent launch point to get yourself back into the habit of drawing. It's cool because it's flexible. You can make a series of different patterns and textures that is some abstract thing, or you can make an actual thing. It really doesn't matter. But you be simple with it or get complicated and play with textures, depth, symmetry (or lack thereof), precision, whatever. I find it helpful for myself to start there if I haven't drawn for awhile, just to get back into it. It's like a no pressure doodle for me that will ultimately help me work out the kinks in my (lacking) skill set. And most of the time, they end up looking pretty good, I think.