Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 21,694
Location: UK

18 Nov 2021, 5:31 pm

I've written a book, which is an autobiography of parts of my life, in a similar style to the Diary Of A Wimpy Kid books (but authentic). I've handwritten my story though, in a neat writing-pad that's as thick as a real novel book.

To self publish it seems you have to have it written on a computer, but I don't like typing, I prefer handwriting, so is there a way I can send my book to somewhere? I also need the names in my story changed as well. Would the editing people do that if I write a list of the names I want to be changed to?


_________________
Female
Aged 31
On antidepressants
Diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety and mild ASD
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)


mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2020
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 553
Location: Southern Sweden

19 Nov 2021, 4:08 am

Have you tried Voice to Text software?

/Mats


_________________
Interests: Comic books, Manga; most things to do with Handicraft, wood, textile, metal etc, modern materials; horror, true crime; languages, art, and history to an extent
Uninterests: All things about motors; celebrities; fashion; sports; career; stock market


graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Aug 2010
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 661
Location: texas

19 Nov 2021, 11:57 am

amazon's offshoot "createspace" (now "kindle direct publishing" or kdp-amazon) has made it easier to self-publish than at any time in history. you only need a pdf of the right dimensions to upload.

the hard part now is getting anyone to review it.


_________________
"I have always found that Angels have the vanity
to speak of themselves as the only wise; this they
do with a confident insolence sprouting from systematic
reasoning." --William Blake


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,413
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

20 Nov 2021, 8:03 pm

graywyvern wrote:
amazon's offshoot "createspace" (now "kindle direct publishing" or kdp-amazon) has made it easier to self-publish than at any time in history. you only need a pdf of the right dimensions to upload.

the hard part now is getting anyone to review it.


That's how I do it. It ought to work out alright for the OP when he can get his manuscript converted to the computer page.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 21,694
Location: UK

23 Nov 2021, 3:28 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
graywyvern wrote:
amazon's offshoot "createspace" (now "kindle direct publishing" or kdp-amazon) has made it easier to self-publish than at any time in history. you only need a pdf of the right dimensions to upload.

the hard part now is getting anyone to review it.


That's how I do it. It ought to work out alright for the OP when he can get his manuscript converted to the computer page.


I'm a girl.

I will try the thing suggested here.


_________________
Female
Aged 31
On antidepressants
Diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety and mild ASD
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)


DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2021
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 720
Location: Dorset

24 Nov 2021, 7:06 am

There are editors out there who advertise their services to people who want to self-publish. There's kind of an unwritten rule in writing that you shouldn't ever pay anyone to edit your work - the reasoning being that if your work is of a publishable quality then you should concentrate on finding an agent/publisher who will assign you an editor. But that doesn't really apply if you just want to self-publish something.

An editor wouldn't want to type up your handwritten work though. You could look on one of the gig economy sites like fiverr.com - you'll find freelancers advertising there who will take a hand written source and return a Word document. They'll be pretty cheap too, lots of them are from countries where a few English pounds go a long way. You would have to scan your notebook first though, as I doubt you'll want to risk sending your only copy away.

Once you have it in a Word document, changing the names is easy - just do a "Find/Replace" search in a word processor and it will find all instances of the name and change it to whatever you want.

Then just export to PDF and self-publish on Kindle Direct. As others have stated, the hard part comes when it's published - getting anyone to take any notice of it.



mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2020
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 553
Location: Southern Sweden

24 Nov 2021, 8:56 am

If your hand writing is readable, perhaps you could publish it as is?
I think I'd actually like that kind of book.

/Mats


_________________
Interests: Comic books, Manga; most things to do with Handicraft, wood, textile, metal etc, modern materials; horror, true crime; languages, art, and history to an extent
Uninterests: All things about motors; celebrities; fashion; sports; career; stock market


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,413
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

24 Nov 2021, 6:51 pm

mohsart wrote:
If your hand writing is readable, perhaps you could publish it as is?
I think I'd actually like that kind of book.

/Mats


Is that possible?


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 21,694
Location: UK

24 Nov 2021, 10:18 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
mohsart wrote:
If your hand writing is readable, perhaps you could publish it as is?
I think I'd actually like that kind of book.

/Mats


Is that possible?


Hmm, I don't think it is possible these days, maybe back in the 1600s.

I could just type up the whole book(s) on my laptop, but I just hate typing too much on my laptop because I keep pressing like 3 keys all at once and I lose patience. I think it's because I'm used to typing on my phone touchscreen.


_________________
Female
Aged 31
On antidepressants
Diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety and mild ASD
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)


mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2020
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 553
Location: Southern Sweden

25 Nov 2021, 9:14 am

Joe90 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
mohsart wrote:
If your hand writing is readable, perhaps you could publish it as is?
I think I'd actually like that kind of book.

/Mats


Is that possible?


Hmm, I don't think it is possible these days, maybe back in the 1600s.

I could just type up the whole book(s) on my laptop, but I just hate typing too much on my laptop because I keep pressing like 3 keys all at once and I lose patience. I think it's because I'm used to typing on my phone touchscreen.

I don't see why not.
It's basically how comics are made...
Scan the pages to .PDF, send to wherever one sends them and Bob should be your uncle.

/Mats


_________________
Interests: Comic books, Manga; most things to do with Handicraft, wood, textile, metal etc, modern materials; horror, true crime; languages, art, and history to an extent
Uninterests: All things about motors; celebrities; fashion; sports; career; stock market


Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 21,694
Location: UK

02 Dec 2021, 2:57 pm

I really don't know how to go about this. I read you can pay someone to type up your book for you, but I've looked on Google and it seems easier said than done (a lot of information was just on random outdated forums). I'd prefer finding out information from reliable or experienced people that know a lot about writing and publishing.

I suppose I could just self publish, but I need to type out my books on to my laptop. But I don't have Microsoft Word, just wordpad. Downloading Microsoft Word seems expensive. I do have an updated version of Microsoft Office that I bought from the store, but when I used it on my laptop the antivirus wouldn't let me launch it because it thinks it's malware, but it isn't, because I bought it legitimately and not secondhand.


_________________
Female
Aged 31
On antidepressants
Diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety and mild ASD
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)


mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2020
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 553
Location: Southern Sweden

02 Dec 2021, 5:13 pm

Well, there are alternatives to M$ Office

/Mats


_________________
Interests: Comic books, Manga; most things to do with Handicraft, wood, textile, metal etc, modern materials; horror, true crime; languages, art, and history to an extent
Uninterests: All things about motors; celebrities; fashion; sports; career; stock market


ronglxy
Raven
Raven

Joined: 7 Apr 2021
Age: 78
Gender: Male
Posts: 102
Location: Rocky Mts

08 Dec 2021, 6:46 pm

Stimming is jack hammers in rush hour wrecking crews,

Stimming is gentle breeze swingings in warm sunshine,

Meltdowns are train wrecks and punctured blisters,

Meltdowns are resting places from nonstop impossibles

Touching is skin rape by too near strange others,

Touching is love meant, turned upside down around,

And I ken these truthings from my ND-ed non-place!



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 21,694
Location: UK

10 Dec 2021, 2:49 pm

ronglxy wrote:
Stimming is jack hammers in rush hour wrecking crews,

Stimming is gentle breeze swingings in warm sunshine,

Meltdowns are train wrecks and punctured blisters,

Meltdowns are resting places from nonstop impossibles

Touching is skin rape by too near strange others,

Touching is love meant, turned upside down around,

And I ken these truthings from my ND-ed non-place!


I think you're in the wrong thread. :scratch:


_________________
Female
Aged 31
On antidepressants
Diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety and mild ASD
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)


ronglxy
Raven
Raven

Joined: 7 Apr 2021
Age: 78
Gender: Male
Posts: 102
Location: Rocky Mts

13 Dec 2021, 1:06 pm

Thanks Joe90. It seems wrong placed. I didn't do it tho. (Maybe my r-word use did it!) Sorry.