Page 280 of 296 [ 4735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283 ... 296  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 7:51 pm

I Don't Want To Go To Jail, by Jimmy Breslin.

A comical novel about the Greenwich Village mafia.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 5:30 pm

"baseball turnaround"

Matt Christopher

Sandy gets sentenced to community service when he gets mixed in the wrong crowd.

Sandy moves to a different city

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 5:17 pm

Ishmael - by David Quinn

It's a lot like reading Ayn Rand in of that it's more like reading an essay and less any sort of story.

And on that note I still hold Upton Sinclair as my favorite sociological commentator (thus far - I definitely haven't read all of them).

/rant.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 9:03 pm

The Interrupted Journey by John G. Fuller.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 2:07 pm

Something Out Of Place: Women and Disgust by Eimear McBride

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 9:03 am

Mostly just Archie comics, lol.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 8:08 am

Bought an interesting and detailed guidebook for tarot titled '78 Degrees of Wisdom'.

I'm really impressed with how much information is covered in this book so far. It even has information on the cards that I've never been able to find on the internet.

I think I should have started with this book first before i got into reading tarot. :lol:

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 8:41 am

I'm reading Out of Town by Jack Hargreaves.

When I was a kid, Jack Hargreaves had a TV show of the same name, which he presented out of a replica of his own garden shed. He'd show films he'd made throughout his life of fast disappearing country skills like horsemanship, tool maintenance, hunting, manual farming, smallholding. I always found him fascinating and recently saw a couple of his books at a car boot sale and bought them.

Reading them now I find myself ashamed. I don't know how to work, the way people used to have to just to get by. I'd be something monstrous to them, a man with a weak, flabby, body and few skills in his hands - they would be embarrassed to be me. I'm embarrassed to be me. I'm grateful they can't see me.

Jack Hargreaves lived near where I do. If he was still alive I'd go and find him, but he died in the 90s I think.

Agent_Elflord
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Sep 2022, 12:49 pm

I keep losing focus and keep reading the same 30 pages (I need to just use a bookmark so I don't lose my spot in the story), but I'm currently working on 'Soldat', a war biography of a German soldier who served from 1936-1949 and was a Soviet POW for those last years after the war.

my pile of unread books just keeps growing and growing because reading feels like kind of a chore these days. Here we are halfway through September and I still haven't read a book cover-to-cover or at least finished the rest of one.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 1:02 pm

Aarteidesi aikakirjat by Piia Leino

I'd translate the title but making a literal translation is difficult... something about treasures and books.

It's interesting, but the main character is kind of an elitist hypocrite. Then again, a character with a heart of gold wouldn't do the things the main character is doing.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 7:47 pm

I bought myself a new cook book today with recipes and guides to restaurants in Louisiana. The only time I ever went to New Orleans for a vacation i fell in love with their food so I had to buy this. :chef:

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 9:37 am

The Gift by Danielle Steel

I'm reading a translated version though. I suppose it's interesting in it's own way, but you know... written in the 90s, written about 50s... lots of yucky attitudes. Kinda makes me mad, but it's good to be aware how the world used to be... and well, still is in some circles.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 9:37 pm

I'm reading Dead Space Martyr. I'm getting into the series. I'm interested how it went from the birth of Unitology to straight up Brethren Moon Doomsday by Dead Space 3.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 7:40 am

First book of his I've read but I'm liking these short stories so may look for his novels next.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 5:40 am

Sensei no Kaban by Kawakami Hiromi

Finnish translation, of course. It didn't seem that interesting when I looked at the text in the back cover, but I wanted to pick something from the library and this one was apparently popular in Japan when it came out, so I figured I'd try it out. Plus, it's not all that long, so even if it turns out to be boring, finishing it won't be that difficult.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 4:32 am

Cannery Row, by John Steinbeck.

A slice of life in the neighborhood of a sardine cannery, which is inhabited by low life but colorful characters. So far pretty good.