Page 8 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

1stSauce
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2022, 11:40 am

Quote:
Lots of artists there either wouldn't be able to get signed cuz they don't fit the mold & image that the record labels want to push out or the artists don't like being tied to a record label. The Reel Big Fish song, Sell Out comes to mind.

Reel Big Fish were one of the better bands to come out of the "horncore" era during the late 90's.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2022, 12:40 pm

I agree with most other people here - music has gone downhill in quality since about the year 2000.

Aces High
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Dec 2022, 7:19 pm

What music is even popular anymore, it's a bit like what happened to clothes fashion. 60s to 90s had their own styles and during 00s it sort of stops? What the difference between clothes from 2005 and now? Everything is a soup.

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 4:01 pm

I'm not really a fan of new music at all, and find it annoying. In fact, I don't like new movies much either. Some aren't bad. Most are too violent, full of profanity, sex, bad acting, CGI, and so on. Really just for the hell of it.

But music? Christ, it's horrible. Sounds like a rhino breaking wind. Always has that same fake beat, people singing in an awful way like they're in agony, and again, just music videos promoting this trash with sex and swearing for the hell of it.

Now okay, I guess even 80's videos were sometimes like that too, or just flat out stupid looking. But others matched the song well. People seem to like the song more if they find the video is impressive. But once they relaxed the rules on sex and so on, people just started to act like morons. And again, the pop music now is just not good to listen to.

themizarkshow
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Dec 2022, 3:53 pm

I've clicked through a bunch of pages of this long-lived thread, and think that most of the issues with mainstream music voiced here is fallout from the Telecommunications Act of 1996 which deregulated a lot of media markets and allowed for monopolies to take place in radio and local-news broadcasts especially.

For music, that meant regional sounds/tastes got stomped out in favor of hits that were generic enough to appeal to anyone, anywhere in the country. Something like grunge would not be able to grow naturally in a local scene today and slowly expand to the larger market in the same way that it did in the mid-to-late 80s for the Pacific-Northwest. In recent years, people desperate for different music have instead been drawn to international scenes, like Korean and Japanese artists, whereas in the past the US was big enough to have different music scenes (and even sub-scenes) per region / major market.

And for local news that '96 law meant that local-news has been scooped up by largely conservative companies like Sinclair which drown out local stories to focus on agenda items they care about at a national scale.

For a bit of hope at the end of this depressing post though... the internet has been a great place for indie artists to grow! Bandcamp has been the way I've found some of my fav bands in the past decade and I hope they keep doing awesome work (even though they were bought out by Epic Games).

- Late-Dx Autie in Milwaukee
- Interests include: twisty puzzles, videogames, zines, & typewriters
- My main Mastodon account
- My most active NeoCities page (hooray for the old web)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2022, 4:11 pm

Hard for me to tell. While to put it mildly I prefer older styles to today's I am 65 years old and am supposed to feel that way.

OTOH in every comment section of youtube videos of old songs, you have many zoomers saying today's music sucks they wished they grew up when we did. While it makes me feel privileged to remember these songs when they were new, I also find it sad and unnatural.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2023, 12:10 pm

You can find more interesting music if you look beyond what's popular, but even there it's hard to find stuff that's really new or different with regard to popular genres. It seemed like every decade from the 1920s through the 1990s had distinct sounds. From then on everything sounds similar more-or-less to my ear. There's the "trap" genre of hip-hop that took over something around 2010, but not really my thing.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2023, 3:58 pm

I'm so thankful for youtube. I can look up all kinds of indie artists and movie/video game soundtracks I never would have discovered before.

xxSkull_Princessxx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Mar 2023, 9:18 am

Personally, I'd say mainstream music started to decline from 2008 - 2009 and became the absolute garbage that it is today by the year 2010. This is when stupid autotune and electronic noises became popular and started dominating "music".

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 10:07 am

Music never began to suck.
Being too lazy to explore and find good new music isn't the fault of the music that's being released.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

29 Mar 2023, 2:14 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Being too lazy to explore and find good new music isn't the fault of the music that's being released.

If I had a nickel for every time I told my Dad that. However, I would say the variety and creativity of American Popular Music began a steady, noticeable decline from the '70s onward. I've dealt with it by listening to foreign music, some of Pop, much of it traditional.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 2:15 pm

RandoNLD wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

If I had a nickel for every time I told my Dad that. However, I would say the variety and creativity of American Popular Music began a steady, noticeable decline from the '70s onward. I've dealt with it by listening to foreign music, some of Pop, much of it traditional.

I'm not in a good position to comment on the quality of mainstream pop music; it's always been unlistenable to my ears. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 10:02 pm

I don't think it's bad, it's just that too many of the hits come from Dr. Luke and Max Martin and as a result there's very little variety. So, right now is either a great time for music or absolutely horrible depending upon whether or not you like it.

It's also worth noting that it's rarely been just about the music itself. Unless you're listening to music without anything else going on for the first time, it's as much about what's going on when you hear the song and how it connects personally as anything else. I'm always going to be a sucker for Closing time by Semisonic because I heard it as I was on the van ride home on my last day of my summer job. It doesn't necessarily say anything about the song itself, but it's always going to tap into those emotions.

It also doesn't help that most of the music being produced is over compressed and too loud, removing the kind of nuance that allows the ears to get a rest mid track. And, sadly, it's been infecting even the older work that hadn't already been over compressed.

mrclarinet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Apr 2023, 7:54 pm

during the post grunge era

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2023, 6:26 am

"New Scientist" recently reported on a pschology experiment to do with musical tastes. It found that people's taste in mainstream music typically "ossifies" in their early 20s - after that point, they just don't like anything new. If their taste in music does branch out in later life, it's into more obscure genres.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2023, 8:49 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
"New Scientist" recently reported on a pschology experiment to do with musical tastes. It found that people's taste in mainstream music typically "ossifies" in their early 20s - after that point, they just don't like anything new. If their taste in music does branch out in later life, it's into more obscure genres.

Seems mostly fair, although I don't think I discovered eurobeat until my mid-20s. Maybe genres that sound old get handled differently than genres that sound like nothing you've ever heard.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う