Triangle 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Recorder 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Other 21%  21%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 39

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 5:53 pm

I first got into the piano when I was visiting an aunt who was so bizarrely strict she wouldn’t let me or my cousins play in the backyard. They lived in a nice neighborhood. She spent most of that month in bed except when engaging in cult activities.

They had a piano, and I worked my way through my cousins’ method books while I was there.

I love string instruments, too. I also like woodwinds, especially the oboe, but nothing speaks to me like the piano.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 5:56 pm

what do you think of digital pianos?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 5:59 pm

auntblabby wrote:
what do you think of digital pianos?

I like the ones that I have. I have good ones, but they still aren’t the same as a decent acoustic. They are certainly better than a lot of acoustic pianos out there, though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 6:02 pm

when i was young i remember toying with the first digital pianos, most only had a very few discrete dynamic levels [how hard you push the keys to get a louder sound] with maybe 6 steps at most. they seem to have greatly improved from that point.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 6:24 pm

Selected Violin, Drums, and Other.

Took lessons for violin and piano as a kid. Recently bought a viola to play around with.

Took lessons for drums as a teen, still play to this day. Have an Alesis digital drum kit.

Bought a guitar and bass to pluck around on. No lessons, but can bungle out a melody, or play a basic bass line from a hand-full of songs.

Been singing since I was a kid. (no lessons) I've been told I'm pretty good at it.

Play around with digital synthesizers and loop stations, have a DAW set up on PC, a MIDI pad, and MIDI mini-keyboard. Trying to learn to record and mix my own music.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 6:57 pm

^^^what style of drumming do you prefer? or what drummer do you wish to emulate?

kickingdownthedoors
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Feb 2023, 7:26 pm

it said i voted for too many! voice, keys, guitar, ukulele, and a bit of drums and bass :D

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 7:31 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:

Took lessons for violin and piano as a kid. Recently bought a viola to play around with.

Took lessons for drums as a teen, still play to this day. Have an Alesis digital drum kit.

Bought a guitar and bass to pluck around on. No lessons, but can bungle out a melody, or play a basic bass line from a hand-full of songs.

Been singing since I was a kid. (no lessons) I've been told I'm pretty good at it.

Play around with digital synthesizers and loop stations, have a DAW set up on PC, a MIDI pad, and MIDI mini-keyboard. Trying to learn to record and mix my own music.

Sounds really nice. ^

We have Ableton and a Midi controller.
I don't think I can name anything else lol.

Looking forward to the Grammy Awards tonight. :heart:

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 7:44 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^what style of drumming do you prefer? or what drummer do you wish to emulate?

My music teacher (drums) taught me to play all different music styles, under the idea that "If a place is hiring a drummer, who do you think they want? They guy who can only play "rock", or the guy who can play rock, reggae, disco, shuffle, jazz, blues, samba, big band, and bluegrass?"

I grew up listening to a lot of Phil Collins, so I always liked the idea of both drumming and singing. I have emulated some of his styles for things like timing and fills. Big fan of Roger Taylor from Queen, also sings and drums. Stellar good classical drummer, great technique. David Grohl from his Nirvana days, another singer drummer. There's an EDM guy who goes by the name Afishal. He's amazing to watch, and what he does sort of bridges the gap between electronic drums and traditional DJ mixing.

I prefer to play music with energy. Jazz, rock, punk, metal, swing etc. I also like EDM, drum n bass, break-beat, jungle beats, things like that, in the realm of digital drumming.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 7:48 pm

auntblabby wrote:

My music teacher (drums) taught me to play all different music styles, under the idea that "If a place is hiring a drummer, who do you think they want? They guy who can only play "rock", or the guy who can play rock, reggae, disco, shuffle, jazz, blues, samba, big band, and bluegrass?"

I grew up listening to a lot of Phil Collins, so I always liked the idea of both drumming and singing. I have emulated some of his styles for things like timing and fills. Big fan of Roger Taylor from Queen, also sings and drums. Stellar good classical drummer, great technique. David Grohl from his Nirvana days, another singer drummer.

OHHHH. MYYYY. 8) :heart: :thumleft:

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 7:53 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Sounds really nice. ^

We have Ableton and a Midi controller.
I don't think I can name anything else lol.

Looking forward to the Grammy Awards tonight. :heart:

Thanks! I spent a year building my DAW and equipment, and then never got to use it cos of school. Now that I'm done with school, I'm hoping to get back into it. My fav piece is my Korg Kaossilator. It's a standalone synthesizer pad and 4-track loop station.

How do you like Ableton? I've never used it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 7:56 pm

I've never used it myself but my son's band has recorded a few albums with it.

I don't know what any of that equipment is that you've described, but it sounds impressive.

I kinda seriously love Dave Grohl, and I've been obsessed with Phil Collins / Genesis lately.

Queen has always been one of my fave bands.

Good luck getting back into music!

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 8:09 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I've never used it myself but my son's band has recorded a few albums with it.

I don't know what any of that equipment is that you've described, but it sounds impressive.

I kinda seriously love Dave Grohl, and I've been obsessed with Phil Collins / Genesis lately.

Queen has always been one of my fave bands.

Good luck getting back into music!

I'm a tech geek, I like my gadgets :D

You have good taste.

And thank you :D I have been considering posting things I make in the music section here, see if I can get some feedback.

Also, spectacular performance :heart:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 8:20 pm

That was just a week or two before he died. ^ :(

I won't keep derailing TP's thread since I don't play anything, but shouts out to Peter Criss who was my first love when I was five (lol), then Nigel Olsson, Ray Cooper, and Neil Peart.

Post your music anytime!

I won't be able to say much more than "That's good!" since I don't understand music theory, but I'd love to hear it!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 8:28 pm

Since this is more of a fun thread, I don’t mind derails.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 8:35 pm

When I was in Uni I wanted to join the marching band but didn't know how to play anything, and didn't want to have to carry a heavy flag. I decided to audition for playing the triangle. I went to a music store and bought one :lol: but didn't get chosen. I wish I still had it.

In Kindergarten I was obsessed with my pale pink, cracked plastic tambourine with silver jingle bells on the side, because of that song "Hey Mr. Tambourine Man".

Sigh.

Those were the days. 8)