Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 8:00 pm

Any opera fans? Which are your favorites? Any favorite arias?

I’ve really gotten into it lately. It might be a new special interest, but I’m still a newb.

My favorites so far are Tosca and Madame Butterfly. The production on the Tosca I watched was fantastic, so it might not be fair to compare it to other operas I’ve seen.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 8:03 pm

My former SIL sang opera along with her husband's extended family.
I loved it and especially La bohème.

I'm still into musical theatre (Broadway-type shows) but haven't listened to opera in years.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 8:05 pm

I enjoyed La bohème, too. It made me cry.

It might be my third favorite so far.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 8:08 pm

I'm a famous stage singer in my other life.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 8:16 pm

The Barber of Seville.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 8:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The Barber of Seville.

The overture was one of my favorite pieces of classical music when I was a kid. I think it’s related to Bugs Bunny.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 8:25 pm

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 8:26 pm

I smell gravy when I watch this, because of Looney Tunes on Sunday nights when mum made roasts. ^

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Feb 2023, 11:45 pm

I’ve been listening to opera since I was roughly 10 years old. I haven’t listened to it lately, since the latest crop of singers has turned me off, and most of the NPR outlets around here went all talk. Lately, I’ve been listening to the music feed of Collinsville, IL, based Lutheran Public Radio (which is what is pretty much what is left of KFUO-FM, the radio station once owned by Concordia Seminary—St. Louis.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2023, 4:54 am

That’s how I learned about the Barber of Seville :)

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2023, 6:54 am

MuddRM wrote:
I’ve been listening to opera since I was roughly 10 years old. I haven’t listened to it lately, since the latest crop of singers has turned me off, and most of the NPR outlets around here went all talk. Lately, I’ve been listening to the music feed of Collinsville, IL, based Lutheran Public Radio (which is what is pretty much what is left of KFUO-FM, the radio station once owned by Concordia Seminary—St. Louis.

I’m currently watching it on a streaming service that’s dedicated to the arts. I’ve also watched some really cool modern ballets recently.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2023, 7:38 am

Twilightprincess wrote:

Doesnt hold a candle to...Wagner!

https://youtu.be/LHivHuPFBqA

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2023, 8:25 am

^

Good point!

The Wagner one has always been my favorite!

I love Fantasia, too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2023, 8:27 am

I have sort of a "love/hate" relationship to opera, to be honest.

I believe opera is a most worthy art; but I tend not to respond well to it. Or to "high drama" in general. Which is probably why women of an "artistic bent" have never responded well to me.

It's similar to my love for Baroque visual art----but I wouldn't want it in my home 24/7.

There are times when I am soothed by the Harpsichord....but I do realize that it doesn't have the versatility of the Piano.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2023, 8:44 am

Saying the above......who knows? Maybe at age 62, I might have to re-assess my view of opera. Perhaps I'm "ready" for it?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2023, 12:14 pm

I don’t think it’s superior because it’s considered “highbrow” or anything. Classist attitudes are silly.

I just enjoy it. It’s speaking to me more than it used to. I’m not really sure why.

People should seek entertainment that they enjoy, whatever that may be as long as it’s not inherently harmful.