Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 1:43 pm

Several decades after the devasting Human Civil War, genetically perfect humans now make up the majority of the population of Earth, their influence covering most of Asia, Europe and The entire West Coast of the United States. Enter the adolescent protagonist, a "perfect" who resides in the domed city of Neo Angeles. As a card-carrying member of the League of Literature, it is his duty to go into the outside world to deliver low-quality books to the inhabitants of the "inferior" settlements located in the ruins of the old city. He, like every resident of Neo Angeles, is wealthy, clean and free of worries. But his generic lifestyle and job are beginning to take its toll on his perception of life.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Aug 2009, 3:40 pm

There's a movie coming out with Denzel Washington called "The Book of Eli" that's similar to your idea.

The former things have passed away."

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 5:43 pm

Or Gattaca...

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 6:14 pm

how similar?

people cant hog all post-apocallyptic out-of-a-closed-world ideas.

i think you should go for it, if not just for your own amusement and writing experience.

its not just the story itself that matters, its how its told. if you get your spin at it, your own language, your own vibe and feel, then its your own work. especially w fictional ideas, you have to be a f'ing ÜBERgenious of DIVINE levels, to come up with a never-before used idea.
even describing the weather in a scene would be a rip-off if ideas were unreuseable.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 7:07 pm

Here's a tip. Mix ideas from multiple sources. My current novel (that I am currently writing and rewriting, in order to make it a good one) has elements from Blake's 7, The Count of Monte Cristo, Watchmen, Faction Paradox (a Doctor Who spin-off), Artemis Fowl, and Dune, amongst so many others.

And those are just the literary inspirations. Try taking a leaf out of real history for an idea. For example, your idea seems to be about literature and education (or lack thereof) to the masses. Try looking at the impact of John Wycliffe and his English Bible (Wyclif's Bible). Or the Forster and Balfour Acts in the UK.

On sabbatical...

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 7:31 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Here's a tip. Mix ideas from multiple sources. My current novel (that I am currently writing and rewriting, in order to make it a good one) has elements from Blake's 7, The Count of Monte Cristo, Watchmen, Faction Paradox (a Doctor Who spin-off), Artemis Fowl, and Dune, amongst so many others.

And those are just the literary inspirations. Try taking a leaf out of real history for an idea. For example, your idea seems to be about literature and education (or lack thereof) to the masses. Try looking at the impact of John Wycliffe and his English Bible (Wyclif's Bible). Or the Forster and Balfour Acts in the UK.

thats the point. like, i write a sci fi. in space. what am i going to do, if i was to avoid coinciding ideas, i couldnt write about space ships, foreign races, i would have to avoid everything.
youll always draw inspiration from events, real or fictional, otherwise you basically got nothing :D

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 7:58 pm

ZEGH8578 wrote:
Quatermass wrote:

thats the point. like, i write a sci fi. in space. what am i going to do, if i was to avoid coinciding ideas, i couldnt write about space ships, foreign races, i would have to avoid everything.
youll always draw inspiration from events, real or fictional, otherwise you basically got nothing :D

The point is to find a new angle, or a new mix.

On sabbatical...

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 6:58 am

You could say it's a cross between Gattaca, Planet of the Apes, Logan's Run and 1984, with a bit of the Fallout series thrown in. And it's not just about the right to be educated. It's really about a boy trying to find meaning in his life whilst inhabiting a city of hedonists.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 7:40 am

Giftorcurse wrote:
You could say it's a cross between Gattaca, Planet of the Apes, Logan's Run and 1984, with a bit of the Fallout series thrown in. And it's not just about the right to be educated. It's really about a boy trying to find meaning in his life whilst inhabiting a city of hedonists.

Have you ever watched Brazil? Or Zardoz? Or even the original German movie Metropolis, which predates virtually everything mentioned in these two posts? If you haven't, I seriously suggest that you watch Metropolis before you continue working on this story.

Here's Wikipedia's page for Metropolis

On sabbatical...

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 9:40 am

Giftorcurse wrote:

i included a little "homeage" to fallout, nothing more tho :D
where a character of mine is playing a computer game, that keeps giving him the message
*you missed*
*you missed*
*you critically missed and dropped your weapon*

whats makes it even more... "easter eggish" is that i write it all in norwegian. i think you got enough different inspiration in there, in such an environment, as you say, you can write about anything. how would so and so kind of people survive

whould SOME kinds of personalities simply be extinct in a given new world? the possibilities are endless, since you're basically taking the idea of "someone exploring a new world" ;]

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 11:18 am

I have seen Metropolis, but sadly, it was the 117-minute version.

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 1:16 pm

Some nice ideas you got there, I'm working on a sci fi idea too but I'm converting into a sourcebook for my usage :). Work on your ideas a bit too.