Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2006, 6:38 pm

My favorite book of all time is Ender's G*me by Orson Scott Card. I found that in the library in 5th grade, read it, then continued to read it at least once a year since. I buy ten or twelve copies at a time and hand them out to people at church, work, school, the bus, the grocery store, etc. I give it to people for birthdays and christmas. I've handed out at least 100 copies. I love this book.

People tell me I'm weird, but oh well. If I can get them to read that book, then maybe next time they see me, we'll have something to talk about, plus, they'll have had the opportunity to read the best book ever.

P.S. Why won't it let me print "G*me" all the way out?

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jan 2006, 8:10 pm

Does anyone here like Terry Prachett? I enjoyed "Going Postal," since my career has been in mailrooms large and small. Check out Stanley, who invents stamp collecting.

Speaking of Prachett, how about Leonard of Quirm?<G>

Ender's Game was a very good book, the best book of the year, and deserves its place among the classics of science fiction. Lately I've been following the parallel "Shadow" series which deals with Bean.

P.S. Let's make this an ongoing book thread, rather than having them all vanish into the unsearchable forest of the forum.

"Mark was encouraged to believe Enrique was developing a social grace after all. Perhaps he would develop another one soon. One could hope."
Lois McMaster Bujold, "A Civil Campaign"

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2006, 9:49 pm

Yes, I recently read Ender's Game. It was great. Especially the ending. A movie is in the works right now, but I can't imagine it will capture the essence of the book.

Edit: Calvin and Hobbes is also great.

Fiat_Lux
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jan 2006, 3:37 pm

This is a difficult one, as I've read quite a few good books. My favourite work of fiction is 'The Count of Monte Cristo' by Alexandre Dumas. It's an epic, moving story which is supposed to be best read in the original French. My French is not up to the job, but it may be worth revising those language skills in order to fully comprehend such a great work.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 3:49 pm

Fiat_Lux wrote:
My favourite work of fiction is 'The Count of Monte Cristo' by Alexandre Dumas.

I love that book, too! The French grammar drives me insane, so I stick to German (although I like Latin, too.) But The Count of Monte Cristo is on my list of favorites. Plus, what did you think of that silly movie they made a while back? The newest version?

Laura
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2006, 10:11 pm

The best book ever is Barry Trotter and the Dead Horse its both funny and good to read. Its also not a thousand pages long.

Fiat_Lux
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Feb 2006, 8:23 am

dexkaden wrote:
Plus, what did you think of that silly movie they made a while back? The newest version?

Apologies for the late post here; I’ve only just seen your reply. I have not seen the 2002 film version of ‘The Count of Monte Cristo’, starring Jim Caviezel. I think that any film of the book would find it difficult to convey many of the subtle nuances within the unabridged version of the book. However, the 1975 film, with Richard Chamberlain and Tony Curtis was rather fun.

CuriousPrimate
Raven
Raven

02 Feb 2006, 4:22 pm

dexkaden wrote:
My favorite book of all time is Ender's G*me by Orson Scott Card.

Have you read the other books in the series. The three that follow on from Enders Game are magnificent (Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind). The second quartet are more contrived, but kudos to OSC for looking at Enders Game through Bean's eyes in the first one (Ender's Shadow). Got the last of the second quartet for Xmas (Shadow of the Giant), and I think OSC made a big mistake - the third and forth books should have been combined and the writting tightened up.

lowfreq50 wrote:
Yes, I recently read Ender's Game. It was great. Especially the ending. A movie is in the works right now, but I can't imagine it will capture the essence of the book.

Last reference I saw to this was that it was based on the original short story rather than the book, but who knows...

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2006, 4:32 pm

The best book I ever read was the Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings.

CuriousPrimate
Raven
Raven

02 Feb 2006, 4:49 pm

Sorce wrote:
The best book I ever read was the Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings.

Takes me back a bit, read the Belgariad series long time ago. If I remember correctly I enjoyed the Elenium trilogy more (especially, The Ruby Knight). By the time I'd read the Malloreon and Tamuli series I'd cooled to Eddings writing. Haven't read one since, although I occasionally see new ones on the bookstore shelf. Still, they're old friends on the bookshelf.

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 2:40 pm

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman - two geniuses; my kind of silliness :D

Nitz
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2006, 7:21 pm

Quote:
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman - two geniuses; my kind of silliness

That was a great book. Only Terry Pratchett book I've read, but I've read a few Neil Gaiman books and have to say he's some kind of wonderful.

As far as my favorite books, I nominate Life of Pi by Yann Martel, and the graphic novel Watchmen by Alan Moore. ( Comic books count as books, right? )

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 7:26 pm

Nitz wrote:
As far as my favorite books, I nominate Life of Pi by Yann Martel, and the graphic novel Watchmen by Alan Moore. ( Comic books count as books, right? )

Of course comic books count! Life without comics and comic books would be a sorry existence indeed.

Nitz
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2006, 7:56 pm

Quote:
Of course comic books count! Life without comics and comic books would be a sorry existence indeed.

In which case, I present my master list of the best comic books of all time, with descriptions for those of you who haven't read them ( and should read them ASAP ). Excuse me for rambling, but comics are one of my passions in life and if I can find someone to talk comics with, I will have to stop myself from going on and on about them. Anyway, here are reccomendations of my favorites...

Watchmen ( already mentioned, an utterly brilliant story about middle-aged superheroes in the 1980s )

Preacher ( by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, an extremely entertaining and clever story that contains a lot of dark humor based on really heavy topics; not for the squeamish )

Transmetropolitan ( by Warren Ellis and Darrick Robertson, about an insane 22nd century journalist modelled after the late Hunter S. Thompson, and the even more insane world he lives in )

Grant Morrison's run on the X-Men ( the best take on mainstream superhroes ever, takes the tired old themes of the X-Men comics and makes it an extremely deep story about youth culture and alienation, in addition to the most Aspie-ish Cyclops ever )

We3 ( by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely, think " Homeward Bound " with cyborg animals )

Runaways ( personal favorite, an ongoing Marvel series about the fugitive children of super-villains, and their subsequent adventures )

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2006, 12:56 am

Well, my personal favorites are (in alphabetical order):

-Catch 22
-The Catcher in the Rye
-Calvin & Hobbes series
-The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
-The Da Vinci Code
-Harry Potter series
-His Dark Materials series
-Idlewild
-The Sandman series
-Watchmen

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2006, 7:11 am

The Buddha Of Surbia, The Beach, and Catcher In The Rye. I'd be hard pressed to say what my favourite is out of those three.
Does anyone else think that god damn sonuvabitch Holden Caulfield (protagonist of Catcher In The Rye) might have something like AS?