Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Well...
So, Sophist... you finally caved in and are reading the books... Hehe... knew we'd have you in our ranks before long... >:) 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
So, Sophist... you finally caved in and are reading the books... Hehe... knew we'd have you in our ranks before long... >:) 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
I haven't read the books and I never intend to. So there! 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I haven't read the books and I never intend to. So there! 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Harry who? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Harry who? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
YOU haven't read the sixth book yet?!? ... freak ... :roll: 33%  33%  [ 14 ]
YOU haven't read the sixth book yet?!? ... freak ... :roll: 33%  33%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 42

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2006, 9:00 pm

Sophist wrote:
WARNING: DO NOT READ THIS POST IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE SIXTH BOOK BUT ARE INTENDING TO, OTHERWISE SOME SURPRISES WILL BE RUINED!! !

I want to ask everyone about The Half-Blood Prince and Snape... Does everyone still trust Dumbledore's judgment even though Snape killed him?

I don't know about anyone else, but I still trust Dumbledore about Snape. Because Dumbledore's just so wise. He can't have made THAT big of a boo-boo. There's definitely something more here than meets the eye.

Welp, only another year and five months to go till we find out! :)
:?

SPOILERS...

In my opinion, Snape is not good, but not evil either. Snape is a true Slytherin. The most important thing to Snape is Snape. He is willing to do whatever benefits himself. In Chapter 2 he made the Unbreakable Vow promising to complete Draco's task if Draco was unable to. That task was repairing the passage for the Death Eaters to enter Hogwarts and then kill Dumbledore. Snape didn't have the choice not to make the Unbreakable Vow. Had he not done it, he would've blown his cover and been killed. The consequence for breaking the Unbreakable Vow is death. Snape had to kill Dumbledore.

I have more but I have to go, but I'll finish this post soon...

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2006, 12:01 am

Here's the rest of it...

To quote Sirius Black, 'There are things worth dying for.' Most characters feel this way. I believe that Harry, Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, and every member of the Order would be willing to sacrifice themselves for the sake of their cause. On the other side, Bellatrix Lestrange and most of the other Death Eaters are most likely willing to lay down their lives for Voldemort. Snape is not like that at all. I do think that Snape will redeem himself somewhat, but not because he's actually on the good side. Snape is on Snape's side.

Dumbledore hasn't lost any credibility by misjudging Snape. Dumbledore was not perfect, despite what Harry used to think. Dumbledore's greatest weakness was being too trusting. He almost looked at the world with the innocence of a child. Because Dumbledore was so good, he could only see the good in other people. His kind and forgiving heart can get the better of him. For example, he lets Hagrid teach Care of Magical Creatures even though Hagrid is not a good teacher and never finished school. I don't think that Dumbledore was completely wrong about Snape, but I don't think he had it all right either.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2006, 11:46 am

I dont know I think Dumbledore agreed to die so that Snape could stay(get) in the Death Eaters good graces which Dumbledore thought was more important then his own life (hes not one to think too highly of his life I think.) Remember Dumbledore will still have his photo and will still be able to talk to Harry and advise him on his way so I think he will be able to still help and so will Snape.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2006, 9:04 pm

Here is an interview with J.K. Rowling that the fansites MuggleNet and The Leaky Cauldron got to do when Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince came out on July 16, 2005. In these excerpts she talks about whether Snape is evil and if Dumbledore knew he was going to die. ES stands for Emerson Spartz (from MuggleNet), MA stands for Melissa Anelli (from The Leaky Cauldron), and JKR stands for J.K. Rowling.

Quote:
MA: OK, big big big book six question. Is Snape evil?

JKR: [Almost laughing] Well, you've read the book, what do you think?

ES: She's trying to make you say it categorically.

MA: Well, there are conspiracy theorists, and there are people who will claim -

JKR: Cling to some desperate hope [laughter] -

ES: Yes!

MA: Yes!

ES: Like certain shippers we know!

[All laugh]

JKR: Well, okay, I'm obviously – Harry-Snape is now as personal, if not more so, than Harry-Voldemort. I can't answer that question because it's a spoiler, isn't it, whatever I say, and obviously, it has such a huge impact on what will happen when they meet again that I can't. And let's face it, it's going to launch 10,000 theories and I'm going to get a big kick out of reading them so [laughs] I'm evil but I just like the theories, I love the theories.

ES: I know Dumbledore likes to see the good in people but he seems trusting almost to the point of recklessness sometimes.

[Laughter] Yes, I would agree. I would agree.

ES: How can someone so -

JKR: Intelligent -

ES: be so blind with regard to certain things?

JKR: Well, there is information on that to come, in seven. But I would say that I think it has been demonstrated, particularly in books five and six that immense brainpower does not protect you from emotional mistakes and I think Dumbledore really exemplifies that. In fact, I would tend to think that being very, very intelligent might create some problems and it has done for Dumbledore, because his wisdom has isolated him, and I think you can see that in the books, because where is his equal, where is his confidante, where is his partner? He has none of those things. He’s always the one who gives, he’s always the one who has the insight and has the knowledge. So I think that, while I ask the reader to accept that McGonagall is a very worthy second in command, she is not an equal. You have a slightly circuitous answer, but I can't get much closer than that.

ES: No, that was a good answer.

Quote:
ES: Was Dumbledore planning to die?

JKR: [Pause.] Do you think that's going to be the big theory?

MA & ES: Yes. It’ll be a big theory.

JKR: [Pause.] Well, I don't want to shoot that one down. [A little laughter.] I have to give people hope.

MA: It goes back to the question of whether Snape is a double-double-double-triple-

JKR: [Laughs] Double-double-quadruple-to-the-power-of - yeah.

MA: …whether this had been planned, and since Dumbledore had this knowledge of Draco the whole year, had they had a discussion that said, "Should this happen, you have to act as if it is entirely your intention to just walk forward and kill me, because if you don't, Draco will die, the Unbreakable Vow, you'll die," and so on —

JKR: No, I see that, and yeah, I follow your line there. I can't — I mean, obviously, there are lines of speculation I don't want to shut down. Generally speaking, I shut down those lines of speculation that are plain unprofitable. Even with the shippers. God bless them, but they had a lot of fun with it. It's when people get really off the wall — it's when people devote hours of their time to proving that Snape is a vampire that I feel it's time to step in, because there's really nothing in the canon that supports that.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2006, 9:16 pm

She answered nothing though, thats not very nice, she better hurry up and release book 7.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2006, 8:47 pm

Sophist wrote:
WARNING: DO NOT READ THIS POST IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE SIXTH BOOK BUT ARE INTENDING TO, OTHERWISE SOME SURPRISES WILL BE RUINED!! !

I want to ask everyone about The Half-Blood Prince and Snape... Does everyone still trust Dumbledore's judgment even though Snape killed him?

I don't know about anyone else, but I still trust Dumbledore about Snape. Because Dumbledore's just so wise. He can't have made THAT big of a boo-boo. There's definitely something more here than meets the eye.

Welp, only another year and five months to go till we find out! :)

I really think Snape is going to redeem himself somehow, for the sheer simple fact that that is J.K. Rowling's style.

Endersdragon wrote:
She answered nothing though, thats not very nice, she better hurry up and release book 7.

Oh yeah, she's gonna give spoilers. :roll:

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2006, 9:06 pm

In all of the first five books Snape has been made to appear evil right up until the end when his actions are explained, we then see that everything he did with the appearance of evil was actually good. In book one we see him cursing Harry on his broom only to find out it was a countercurse, Harry believes Snape was trying to steal the philosopher's stone but we find out that he was preventing quirrel from stealing it.

The same pattern is repeated in each of the next four books. In the sixth book there is no redemption, the pattern breaks. I think the last cycle is simply split into two books, Snape will continue to seem evil right up until the end of book seven where we will see how his actions worked for good.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2006, 9:24 pm

I got it! Dumbledore wanted Malfoy to succeed so a) he has a chance to make the offer and b) he can fight the death eaters on his terms. Once they cornered him in the staircase Dumbledore was dead unless Snape sacrificied his position (and even then they would probably both die.) Also as I said before Dumbledore didnt seem to value his life much. So once hes cornered in that stairwell it makes more sense for Snape to kill him then let anyone else do it so he can gain their trust. Am I missing anything?

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2006, 2:01 pm

JKR has set Dumbledore up for us to put so much faith in him, almost that he is invincible-- except for "forgeting about what it was like to be young".

If she was going to take the path that Dumbledore wasn't expecting to die, she should have given Dumbledore more flawes earlier on in some of the books. Because it's completely unexpected.

The way she set up Dumbledore throughout the series, and since these are books and not actual human beings, the logical conclusion would be that Dumbledore was almost perfect and expected his death.

But she's clearly (though subtly) stating that he has imperfections, and trusting Snape was one of them.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Aspen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2006, 2:54 pm

Really? I think Dumbledore and Snape have been in cahoots from the very beginning. I think Snape will somehow help Harry in Book 7.

I hope J. K. Rowling does not choose to kill Harry Potter in her seventh book because I think there are some Harry Potter Fans that are so devoted, they might do something to her if she does. Does anyone remember reading Misery, by Stephen King? I am afraid something like that could happen to her, if she kills Harry Potter.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2006, 5:01 pm

Now that we've discussed the 'Is Snape evil?/Did Dumbledore know he was going to die?' theory, let's discuss one of the other big ones...

Harry: Horcrux or not a horcrux?

I don't think that Harry is a horcrux, but I am thinking that his scar might be. I think that Voldemort made it accidently. To make a horcrux, the caster has to commit a murder. Voldemort murdered James and Lily Potter right before. Also, Harry's scar burns whenever Voldemort feels any sort of passionate emotion. The prophecy says that Vodemort 'will mark him as his equal'. What is more equal than part of yourself? In OotP Harry has the dream that he is Nagini. Nagini is a horcrux and if Harry (or at least his scar) is a horcrux, then it would make sense that he 'was' the snake. JKR has been setting it up that there is something special about that scar. This is from Chapter 30 of GoF:

'Dumbledore looked very intensely at Harry for a moment, and then said, "I have a theory, no more than that ... It is my belief that your scar hurts both when Lord Voldemort is near you, and when he is feeling a particularly strong surge of hatred."

"But ... why?"

"Because you and he are connected by the curse that failed," said Dumbledore. "That is no ordinary scar." '

Aspen wrote:
Does anyone remember reading Misery, by Stephen King? I am afraid something like that could happen to her, if she kills Harry Potter.

Totally! :lol:

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2006, 7:48 pm

Bec- that's a heckuva theory!

Aspen wrote:
I hope J. K. Rowling does not choose to kill Harry Potter in her seventh book because I think there are some Harry Potter Fans that are so devoted, they might do something to her if she does. Does anyone remember reading Misery, by Stephen King? I am afraid something like that could happen to her, if she kills Harry Potter.

-sneaks up behind JKR-

YOU DIRTY BIRD!

-grabs the axe-

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2006, 10:09 pm

If his scar is a horcrux, then Harry will definitely have to die in order to kill Lord Voldemort. But Harry would have to die BEFORE him to destroy the final horcrux and then Voldemort will still be alive but mortal, so somebody else (maybe Neville) would have to finish Voldemort off.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2006, 10:15 pm

Bec wrote:

In the MoM, at the end of OotP, Voldemort possessed Harry but couldn't bear to remain for more than a moment. If the most powerful part of Voldemort couldn't stand to be in Harry how could a fraction of his soul?

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2006, 4:52 pm

Tim_p wrote:
Bec wrote:

In the MoM, at the end of OotP, Voldemort possessed Harry but couldn't bear to remain for more than a moment. If the most powerful part of Voldemort couldn't stand to be in Harry how could a fraction of his soul?

There are a lot of people in the HP fandom that think that Harry might be a horcrux. Your reasoning above is why I think that Harry himself isn't a horcrux, but that his scar might be. Rather than a piece of his soul being inside Harry, part of Voldemort's soul is in the scar (or possibly is the scar) which is on the exterior.

Also, as of right now, JKR has said that the last word of Book 7 will be 'scar'.

CHAOS
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2006, 4:44 pm

There's also the deal where Dumbledore might not be dead because he was blasted back form the Avada curse and not one else who died from it was.