Guys, what "non-masculine" songs do you like?

Page 2 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 9:59 pm

Sarah Brightman - Eden
Lakme - The Flower Duet
Lykke Li - Little Bit

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Jul 2009, 10:16 pm

SoulcakeDuck wrote:
Lykke Li - Little Bit

I agree with that one too!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upnTg2GPgTM[/youtube]

The former things have passed away."

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 10:24 pm

I just realized I forgot an awesome one: Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper.

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 11:02 pm

I recently picked up an LP of Debbie Harry's (of Blondie) "Rockbird." I actually like quite a few songs on that record.

That's the most girly album I have. I like her voice, and the music is fun, too.

I also picked up a 12" promotional single of "Straight On" by Heart. It's about time I get some female vocals in my predominantly male music collection.

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 11:39 pm

I tend to go more towards music I like, without any regard to whether it'd be considered "masculine" or not. The bulk of my music collection consists of female singer-songwriters like Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, Tara MacLean, Liz Pappademas, Sara Lovell, et al. I also tend to ignore gender roles in songs and just listen to what they're about, and whether or not I can identify with it. In fact, one of the songs I strongly identify with is "Saturn Girl" by Paula Cole.

I also like some musicals, which almost always puts me in the "gay" category. Talk about stereotype.

Can't a heterosexual male enjoy a good musical every now and then without getting harassed?

Wait...don't answer that...

:oops:

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 11:41 pm

Queen, "A Night At The Opera" and "A Day At The Races", not exactly manly tunes ....

Owendust
Raven
Raven

22 Jul 2009, 1:04 am

Fidelity by Regina Spektor

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGTDRztaCCw[/youtube]

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2009, 1:06 am

kxmode wrote:
Mr. Roger's Neighborhood theme song

Dahahahaha!! ! :P Lol j/k I understand how you feel about it I'm a very young-at-heart person myself :)

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2009, 1:07 am

Owendust wrote:
Fidelity by Regina Spektor

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGTDRztaCCw[/youtube]

Honestly I don't consider her "feminine". She's a bit too quirky to me to be considered an artist marketed to a specific gender. I know plenty of males who like her music, and I'm one of 'em! If Regina's "feminine" then so is Joanna Newsom and I KNOW she's got a pretty big male fanbase!! (once again, I'm one of 'em)

Last edited by GriffinGuitar12 on 22 Jul 2009, 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2009, 1:09 am

Blasty wrote:
I recently picked up an LP of Debbie Harry's (of Blondie) "Rockbird." I actually like quite a few songs on that record.

That's the most girly album I have. I like her voice, and the music is fun, too.

I also picked up a 12" promotional single of "Straight On" by Heart. It's about time I get some female vocals in my predominantly male music collection.

Blondie and Heart? FAAAAAAR from being considered feminine esp. if you are referring to the material both bands did in the '70s. Just 'cuz a girl does a song doesn't automatically make it "girly".

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2009, 1:13 am

DarrylZero wrote:
I tend to go more towards music I like, without any regard to whether it'd be considered "masculine" or not. The bulk of my music collection consists of female singer-songwriters like Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, Tara MacLean, Liz Pappademas, Sara Lovell, et al. I also tend to ignore gender roles in songs and just listen to what they're about, and whether or not I can identify with it. In fact, one of the songs I strongly identify with is "Saturn Girl" by Paula Cole.

I also like some musicals, which almost always puts me in the "gay" category. Talk about stereotype.

Can't a heterosexual male enjoy a good musical every now and then without getting harassed?

Wait...don't answer that...

:oops:

Tori has been mentioned here twice. I think her music's a bit too dark (her '90s material anyway) to be truly considered "feminine". Sarah McLachlan and Paula Cole? Yeah they're a bit more of what I would consider feminine - but that being said you probably haven't heard Sarah's late '80s/early '90s material, which IMO sounds vastly different from most of her popular songs. Her early stuff had more of a Peter Gabriel-meets-Kate Bush sorta sound than the poor man's Joni Mitchell vibe of her later stuff. And no I don't consider Joni to be an artist marketed specifically to females either (though probably about half the people she's ended up influencing are more in such a market). I know plenty of males who love Joni's material - my dad and I both do actually!!

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 1:21 am

GriffinGuitar12 wrote:
Sarah McLachlan and Paula Cole? Yeah they're a bit more of what I would consider feminine - but that being said you probably haven't heard Sarah's late '80s/early '90s material, which IMO sounds vastly different from most of her popular songs. Her early stuff had more of a Peter Gabriel-meets-Kate Bush sorta sound than the poor man's Joni Mitchell vibe of her later stuff.

Touch is a great album, and definitely much different from her later work (the sound of which was largely inspired by her producer, Pierre Marchand). Though if you listen to "Ben's Song" you can hear some foreshadowing of her later albums' sound.

Owendust
Raven
Raven

22 Jul 2009, 2:12 am

GriffinGuitar12 wrote:
Honestly I don't consider her "feminine". She's a bit too quirky to me to be considered an artist marketed to a specific gender. I know plenty of males who like her music, and I'm one of 'em! If Regina's "feminine" then so is Joanna Newsom and I KNOW she's got a pretty big male fanbase!! (once again, I'm one of 'em)

I bet that if you played "Fidelity" to random guys on the street and asked them if it sounded masculine or feminine, the vast majority of them would say that it sounds feminine. That's not to say that men can't enjoy it.

Also, I'd say that the determination of the predominant "gender of a song" should be made on a song-by-song basis, rather than simply classifying every song by a certain artist as always being linked to a specific gender.

Anyways, the OP asked for songs guys liked that were "non-masculine", which doesn't necessarily have to mean feminine (in the same way that non-republican doesn't necessarily mean democrat).

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 12:29 pm

Yeah, I don't think it can be distinguished by artist. Atomic by Blondie is much more "masculine" than Heart of Glass.

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2009, 3:29 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Queen, "A Night At The Opera" and "A Day At The Races", not exactly manly tunes ....

Queen themselves are DEFINITELY NOT feminine/non-masculine. There is NOTHING feminine AT ALL about "Fat-Bottomed Girls", IMO the lyrics are pretty sexist and the guitar playing is very boastful and aggressive. Yet there are other aspects of Freddie Mercury that definitely seem feminine. Do you suppose he was bisexual?

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 3:32 pm

GriffinGuitar12 wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:

Queen themselves are DEFINITELY NOT feminine/non-masculine. There is NOTHING feminine AT ALL about "Fat-Bottomed Girls", IMO the lyrics are pretty sexist and the guitar playing is very boastful and aggressive. Yet there are other aspects of Freddie Mercury that definitely seem feminine. Do you suppose he was bisexual?

Um, Freddie Mercury was gay.