Guys, what "non-masculine" songs do you like?

Page 4 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

kekekeke
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Aug 2009, 9:36 am

the new mew album is amazing...

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 11:33 am

TheBookkeeper wrote:
Most stuff by Evanescence, Within Temptation, and t.A.T.u., but I love "Total Eclipse of the Heart" as well. Oh, and I like Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up". No, I am not joking. I love that song. Takes the wind out of someone's sails when they try to RickRoll me and I start singing along/humming along/dancing.

-TB

I really like Never Gonna Give You Up too, hahaha. I had it on my iPod before I even knew it was a big Internet meme just because I heard it on my iTunes radio and liked it a lot. Then I ran into a "rick roll" and practically died laughing.

TheBookkeeper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Aug 2009, 3:46 pm

Similar story. My brother played it once, and called it corny and dumb. I like it, so I put it on my iPod. About a month later, my friend tried to RickRoll me. Imagine his surprise when he gets a return email that says, "Great song, I loved it. But you didn't send me the link I was asking for."

-TB

Thou, indeed are the Bookkeeper.
Thus do I appoint thee and thy descendants.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 5:33 pm

pat2rome wrote:
GriffinGuitar12 wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Queen, "A Night At The Opera" and "A Day At The Races", not exactly manly tunes ....

Queen themselves are DEFINITELY NOT feminine/non-masculine. There is NOTHING feminine AT ALL about "Fat-Bottomed Girls", IMO the lyrics are pretty sexist and the guitar playing is very boastful and aggressive. Yet there are other aspects of Freddie Mercury that definitely seem feminine. Do you suppose he was bisexual?

Um, Freddie Mercury was gay.

But he was manly gay.

As opposed to Divine.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwh_yOzJ6AY[/youtube]

http://xelebes.wordpress.com/
My Blog

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 8:15 am

Though I am somewhat anti-feminist, I did find Cyndi Lauper's feminist anthem "Girls just wanna have fun" pretty catchy.

I also like Tchaikovsky's Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy from the Nutcracker Suite. That's quite non-masculine, I suppose.

I can't help wondering what a good example of a masculine song would be. Frankie Laine singing Rawhide? Or something by Frank Sinatra? Or Pavarotti? Or Shabba Ranks? Is death metal masculine ... or just geeky?

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 2:57 pm

skysaw wrote:
I can't help wondering what a good example of a masculine song would be. Frankie Laine singing Rawhide? Or something by Frank Sinatra? Or Pavarotti? Or Shabba Ranks? Is death metal masculine ... or just geeky?

Perfect example right here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYRC4H64EFk[/youtube]

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2009, 10:35 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRrwyH6t4ag[/youtube]

pigeon309
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Aug 2009, 4:38 pm

Erm...I'm not sure what you mean by "non-masculine"...what makes a song "non-masculine"?

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2009, 4:42 pm

pigeon309 wrote:
Erm...I'm not sure what you mean by "non-masculine"...what makes a song "non-masculine"?

Yeah, that's what I was trying to figure out, cos the word "masculine" makes me think testosterone, bar fights, beards and football. So, my first guess would be the opposite of metal or rock, but then you have consider the fact that there are metal and rock bands with female vocals (and I don't mean screaming). So, to make a literal guess: music that is soft or non-abrasive to the ears.

pigeon309
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Aug 2009, 6:33 pm

idiocratik wrote:
pigeon309 wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was trying to figure out, cos the word "masculine" makes me think testosterone, bar fights, beards and football. So, my first guess would be the opposite of metal or rock, but then you have consider the fact that there are metal and rock bands with female vocals (and I don't mean screaming). So, to make a literal guess: music that is soft or non-abrasive to the ears.
Thankyou. That makes it a bit clearer.

pigeon309
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Aug 2009, 6:38 pm

I suppose, on that note, I can list some like that:

t.A.T.u
Thirty Minutes/Polchasa
Gomenasai
Vsya Moya Lubov
Ne Zhaley
Marsianskye Glasa
I'm not sure if Stars/Zachem Ya counts, because there's soft singing and then rapping...

Evanescence
Hello
My Immortal

Natalie Merchant
My Skin

RhettOracle
Toucan
Toucan

12 Oct 2009, 11:16 pm

I don't know about masculine/feminine music. I am a straight man who likes lots of music by women. I have everything Kate Bush has recorded. I have Carole King albums. I have Janis Ian albums. I have three (yes, three) box sets of Doris Day. She was my mother's favorite artist in the '40s and '50s, and some of that music rubbed off on me as a child. I have a box set of Aretha Franklin (is there something better than her rendition of "Until You Come Back To Me"? Bernard Purdie just kills on drums on that record). I have some albums by Grace Jones. I have "The Divine Miss M" because I like Bette's take on "Superstar" and "Do You Want To Dance." I have albums by The Carpenters. I even have a couple by Donna Summer. I like "West End Girls" and "Tainted Love." I have the complete Queen catalogue, including CD singles. I just like songs, and record production in general. I've got about 300,000 songs right here in this room with me, floor to ceiling. These people happily share space with King Crimson and Black Sabbath and Deep Purple and Bloodrock and Frank Zappa. I've never given a thought to the gender type of the music I like. If I like it, I just like it. If it appeals to whatever it is in me, I can't help it. I don't care who it's by or what designation others may put on it. I'm gonna go get out "Tapestry" and listen to "Smackwater Jack."

blackomen
Toucan
Toucan

12 Oct 2009, 11:49 pm

"Help I'm Alive" (Metric)

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2009, 3:43 am

Diana Ross' "If We Hold On Together" from Don Bluth's 1988 film The Land Before Time
That song makes me cry.

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 3:58 am

I'm not a song-specific person, I'm more into albums and the artists they're by.

I'm a Sheryl Crow fan, and I'm also planning on getting some Eva Cassidy, she's awesome. Speaking of Eva Cassidy, I'm trying out some more folk as well. Recently picked up a few vinyls which include artists such as John Denver, Jim Croce, Bob Dylan, and Cat Stevens. I grabbed a few Peter, Paul & Mary (R.I.P., Mary) vinyls as well, but they need some cleaning.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 5:37 pm

I listen to a LOT of Eurodance :D

Cascada & DJ Inphinity and some Bubblegum Pop... :lol: