Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SakiHeart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2013, 5:58 am

Hi! I'm an author in progress, and I'm wondering how many of you other Aspies out there are writers too :D I have some questions for you! :thumright: (I'm in a bookworm sort of mood ^.^)

If you're a writer, what genre do you write? What genre do you like to read? What's your least favorite genre? What's your favorite book/series? What's your least favorite book/series? What's your favorite part of the writing process (plotting, world building, character profiling, etc.)? If you could travel into any book, which would you choose? In your opinion is the book always better than the movie?

My answers: I write fantasy novels, and I love to read fantasy too! :D My least favorite genre is probably realistic fiction, particularly if it's a chick flick type of book. My favorite series is Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling (a cliche answer I know, but it's true!) My least favorite series is Circle of Magic by Tamora Pierce :x My favorite part of the writing process is world building! :D If I could travel into any book, I'd probably choose the Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede :D And in my opinion, the book is nearly always better than the movie.

What about you?

~ Legend of the Legendary Heroes

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 6:57 am

I'm a published author of poetry. I can write short stories and poetry. I have tried to write a novel and failed miserably. I enjoy reading many genres in literature. I have a hard time with historical novels and novels with many characters that fail to make themselves distinguishable in the very beginning, although I have struggled through Dostoevsky and really enjoyed his work. I have a giant collection of books and have read about 70% of them, many of them the classics, and another good portion poetry.

Adamalone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2013, 7:51 am

SakiHeart wrote:
what genre do you write?

All of them, i mean why would you want to limit yourself to one?
SakiHeart wrote:
What genre do you like to read?

mainly fantasy
SakiHeart wrote:
What's your least favorite genre?

can i say none of them?
SakiHeart wrote:
What's your favorite book/series?

i very much enjoy the riftwar series by raymond e feist, i also like terry brooks shannara series, there are others i like also it's to hard to just pick one
SakiHeart wrote:
What's your least favorite book/series?

50 shades of grey...i have not read it but from the endless quotes from it and various videos and such that i have seen of people reading parts of it i can honestly say that the fact that this piece of badly written bonfire fuel has been such a success is ,as a writer, the most depressing thing ever!
SakiHeart wrote:
What's your favorite part of the writing process (plotting, world building, character profiling, etc.)?

it's a draw between world building and making the characters
SakiHeart wrote:
If you could travel into any book, which would you choose?

i can't make up my mind on this one at all.
SakiHeart wrote:
In your opinion is the book always better than the movie?

the book, always the book, there is just more in it then in the movies

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 8:49 am

I'm a published poet and emerging playwright (my plays were produced locally). I also have a few short/flash stories available online. My "Artists on the Spectrum" profile on the ARI website is here: http://www.ariconference.com/enews/adul ... rrent.html

One of my short stories can be read here: http://www.short-story.me/mystery-stori ... sleep.html

I am in the process of writing an autobiography along with an autism educator.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 1:52 pm

dyingofpoetry wrote:
I'm a published poet and emerging playwright (my plays were produced locally). I also have a few short/flash stories available online. My "Artists on the Spectrum" profile on the ARI website is here: http://www.ariconference.com/enews/adul ... rrent.html

One of my short stories can be read here: http://www.short-story.me/mystery-stori ... sleep.html

I am in the process of writing an autobiography along with an autism educator.

Nice to meet you, fellow poet. Where can I find your book?
I had also written monologues and performed them on stage locally in NYC. I used to do many readings and performances. I miss the days when I actually had time to do all that! Now I barely get a chance to write because my kids suck all the energy out of me LOL

Yuugiri
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 4:01 pm

Quote:
what genre do you write?

Fantasy, with the occasional sci-fi. Lots of psychological stuff as well. Not published, but who knows? Maybe one day. A lot of what I write isn't in book format, however. I write for all kinds of things: video games, comics (including manga), cartoons (including anime)... and well, books.

Quote:
What genre do you like to read?

Fantasy (especially LGBTQ stuff).

Quote:
What's your least favorite genre?

Romance. I like it in small doses, but when it's the main focus, I get annoyed.

Quote:
What's your favorite book/series?

I honestly couldn't pick one.

Quote:
What's your least favorite book/series?

I'd say Twilight, but that'd be too easy.

Quote:
What's your favorite part of the writing process (plotting, world building, character profiling, etc.)?

Worldbuilding.

Quote:
If you could travel into any book, which would you choose?

The Heralds of Valdemar series.

Quote:
In your opinion is the book always better than the movie?

Nope.

SakiHeart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2013, 4:27 pm

Yuugiri wrote:
Quote:
what genre do you write?

Fantasy, with the occasional sci-fi. Lots of psychological stuff as well. Not published, but who knows? Maybe one day. A lot of what I write isn't in book format, however. I write for all kinds of things: video games, comics (including manga), cartoons (including anime)... and well, books.

That's so cool! I love anime, manga, and cartoons :heart: One of my step-sisters draws manga (not professionally yet) and she's pretty good too :D

Yuugiri
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 5:21 pm

SakiHeart wrote:
That's so cool! I love anime, manga, and cartoons :heart: One of my step-sisters draws manga (not professionally yet) and she's pretty good too :D

Thanks. I haven't had anything published yet, but I have loads of ideas (and piles of documents strewn about my room). Your sister sounds pretty cool too. You should totally pm me her dA if she has one. ;B

SakiHeart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2013, 5:25 pm

Yuugiri wrote:
SakiHeart wrote:

Thanks. I haven't had anything published yet, but I have loads of ideas (and piles of documents strewn about my room). Your sister sounds pretty cool too. You should totally pm me her dA if she has one. ;B

I don't think she does have a dA, though she really should make an account ^.^ I really like her drawing style, and she's getting better all the time :D I've always wished I could draw *sigh* Oh well, at least I've got writing and music :)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2013, 12:08 am

I have yet to be published, but I am indeed a writer. In the past, I've worked on abortive novels, but right now, I'm focusing my attention on short fiction.
I write horror fiction, mainly; and horror is my favorite genre. With horror, I can place the story in the everyday world with it's everyday problems, but I can let my imagination ride free with all the most freakish, horrific things imaginable.
I don't think I have a genre I dislike per say, but general fiction just lacks the potential for imaginative fiction that I enjoy. And while I have enjoyed science fiction and fantasy, I'm afraid I've become too grounded in real life scenarios that can easily accommodate horror, but not other forms of imaginative fiction.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2013, 1:26 am

I've had a few poems published. I write mostly short stories and poetry. My short stories can fit into a few different genres, but overall they tend to have characters that realize, search, or discover things which are meaningful to them.

A couple of examples:

I wrote a short years ago (I think I may have been 14 or 15 at the time) about a mute boy that spoke for the first time to warn his family a masked figure had lit his room on fire from the window.

When I was about 22, I wrote a short about a woman that murdered her abusive lover and the direct impact it had on his twin brother who was unknown to her.

The first was a bit of a religious story, as I had the mother (the person telling the story) grab only one item from the house before it went up in flames... a bible. The second, all three characters were vampires. The woman telling the story was the soulmate of the unknown twin, but never found out.

In all my shorts, there is usually a profound loss, but a sense of gain as well. A surge of hope born out of ashes.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

19 Feb 2013, 1:30 am

To answer your questions:

Science Fiction/ Fantasy, Science Fiction/Fantasy, Romance, Its a tie between Harry Potter and Touchstone, I'd have to say Twilight, I love character building the best, Harry Potter, not always.

SakiHeart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2013, 1:46 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I write horror fiction, mainly; and horror is my favorite genre. With horror, I can place the story in the everyday world with it's everyday problems, but I can let my imagination ride free with all the most freakish, horrific things imaginable.

I tend to be too much of a baby to handle horror XD I do like one horror anime and manga though - D.Gray-man :heart: It's classified as horror, but it's not so bad I can't handle it ^.^

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2013, 1:58 am

I just realized I failed to state what I read. :oops:

I read a lot of religious/spiritual books, horror, mystery, fantasy, sci-fi, and non-fiction. I do not have a favorite book or series, but so far I am NOT liking the series I am currently reading. There's very little character development, lots of plot holes, and not much depth to the storyline. It's mindless reading, honestly, but since I haven't anything else to read at the moment I'm sticking to it.

Not as bad as Twilight, though.

SakiHeart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2013, 2:01 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

I read a lot of religious/spiritual books, horror, mystery, fantasy, sci-fi, and non-fiction. I do not have a favorite book or series, but so far I am NOT liking the series I am currently reading. There's very little character development, lots of plot holes, and not much depth to the storyline. It's mindless reading, honestly, but since I haven't anything else to read at the moment I'm sticking to it.

Sounds like the first book in the Circle of Magic series by Tamora Pierce -___- Only Circle of Magic was definitely worse than Twilight :? What's the book called that you're reading?

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2013, 2:08 am

SakiHeart wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

Sounds like the first book in the Circle of Magic series by Tamora Pierce -___- Only Circle of Magic was definitely worse than Twilight :? What's the book called that you're reading?

Vampire Kisses, and it's a series of 9 books. I'm on book 4. The only saving grace for these books is that the female protagonist isn't vapid like Bella. Raven has a mind of her own. However, the whole series seems intent on separating people based on the way they dress. Quite annoying considering Raven and her vampire boyfriend are goth and seek to prove to others you cannot judge based on clothing. :roll: