Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

A_Spock_Darkly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2009, 7:55 pm

I wish to translate Aspergians into a new race for my science fiction novel. Aesthetically, I want them to be only subtly distinguishable from humans.

I considered endowing them with strikingly yellow irises (not the flowers, the irises of their eyes). Other species would have their attention drawn to the eyes, but would have less incentive to stare into them for any prolonged period, because bright yellow is a repelling color.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 8:38 pm

I have a circle of gold in the center of my irises, surrounded by blue. Is this the kind of thing you're getting at? That would be subtle. If it's obvious enough that people feel blinded to look at them, that would not be subtle, in my opinion.

Sounds like a great idea though!

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

A_Spock_Darkly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2009, 8:48 pm

Subtle as in, unnoticeable to someone casually scanning a roomful of people. No antennae or anything like that. Eye contact wouldn't be blinding, just not as comfortable for a normal human as gazing into the eyes of their own species.

Quote:
I have a circle of gold in the center of my irises, surrounded by blue.

I think that is too low key.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 11:26 pm

How about...they're nerdy tech whizzes and have trouble fitting in with humans. They have highly acute senses and...prefer to work with computers(special interest) than others. Many are savants(or all of them).

A_Spock_Darkly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2009, 11:40 pm

I have their natural behaviors and culture already covered.

Masuna
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jun 2009, 4:58 am

I Picture a Felion's eyes in the dark, But with a special power to see into you. Dangerous but Powerful, Scary but Enticing.

A_Spock_Darkly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jun 2009, 6:54 pm

Are you imagining that once eye contact is established, they can access a telepathic ability?

Masuna
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jun 2009, 6:59 pm

A_Spock_Darkly wrote:
Are you imagining that once eye contact is established, they can access a telepathic ability?
Hey, Its your book!. But ya, At least Something thats special or more than a normal Human.

A_Spock_Darkly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jun 2009, 7:58 pm

I am both rigid about retaining what I have already established about the race, and open to discussing new ideas. The status of any presented idea here remains top secret until the work is published and copyright.

Masuna
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jun 2009, 1:06 am

A_Spock_Darkly wrote:
I am both rigid about retaining what I have already established about the race, and open to discussing new ideas. The status of any presented idea here remains top secret until the work is published and copyright.
I feel i touched on something you were thinking about at least. Its Kinda hard to make suggestions without any info!, But understandable.

Surn
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jun 2009, 8:18 pm

I have a couple negative traits

Foul smell: Symbolic of difficulty making friends/ getting close to people.
Slow Homeostasis: Symbolic of adaptive difficulties.

TheBookkeeper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jun 2009, 3:46 am

I had done something like this once, where I wrote us as the next step in human evolution. Although we looked exactly like humans, there were differences between us. Aspergians could telepathically communicate with each other, but not with humans. We also could heal faster than a normal human, but not so much as to regrow arms/legs/head/etc. to prevent death. Cuts, scrapes, breaks, etc. healed very quickly. In my book, we also had a group mentality. Because Aspergians usually 'major' in one area of expertise, they worked in Guilds that compounded the interest to reap astounding results. Our bodies were also 'hard-wired' differently, but the only real way to expose us was a DNA test.
Not sure if this helps - my idea never made it past my doodle notepad, so you're free to use it if you want, or just parts, or none at all.

-TB

Thou, indeed are the Bookkeeper.
Thus do I appoint thee and thy descendants.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 11:13 am

A_Spock_Darkly wrote:

Or at the very least give humans the feeling that they do. Maybe eye contact with this species make them feel the way we do when exposed to it (sinking feeling in the stomach, sweating, losing track of what they’re saying et c)?
I hope you’ll let us know when it is released; I’ll definitely want to read that one!

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 12:13 pm

You might look into the old SF novel "Slan" by A.E.Van Vogt about a telepathic variation of humanity or Robert Heinlein's "Methuselah's Children" to understand what the problems of a human mutation might be.

TheBookkeeper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jun 2009, 4:31 pm

Greg Bear's two books "Darwin's Radio"/"Darwin's Children" could also provide valuable insight.

-TB

Thou, indeed are the Bookkeeper.
Thus do I appoint thee and thy descendants.

Gifted-Monster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jun 2009, 10:31 pm

Here's an idea.

Moving flecks of gold in their irises in the way it mimicks our mind. Constantly shifting and often chaotic.

At first you wouldn't see it because you're just glancing curiously...but when you look hard enough, you see golden flecks whizzing around randomly.

Telepathic...eh...

Empathic would be fun. They look into your eyes and can convey any emotion they want. Can't make you feel it but can suffocate your own mind with how they feel.