the insrtuments I can play are

keyboards, I have 2 of them an SH 201 and a Microkorg and they are awsome
guitar, i have a Ibanez GIO
bass but not as good as guitar and keyboard

fleurnubienne
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Dec 2009, 1:20 am

I have played cello for 16 years. I enjoy it quite a lot. I used to play semi-professionally and was in a number of orchestras and ensembles, both for fun and money. I did get tired of playing what everyone else wanted me to play so I started doing covers and composing my own pieces on the side about 9 years ago. I started singing around that time too.
I have picked up a few other instruments along the way: piano, classical guitar, semsemia, recorder, and I am [slowly] learning erhu.
I love to program electronic music as well. Recording real instrument tracks on songs with synth, etc is really fun.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2009, 2:44 pm

I played piano since age 6 but quit when I was 23. I haven't touched the piano since. I got so burnt out during college when I majored in music. It was a very difficult major for me. Way too much competition too. I still enjoy singing though and may try out for a local chorale.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

Loli-kun
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2009, 2:47 pm

luvsterriers wrote:
I played piano since age 6 but quit when I was 23. I haven't touched the piano since. I got so burnt out during college when I majored in music. It was a very difficult major for me. Way too much competition too. I still enjoy singing though and may try out for a local chorale.

I'm sorry to hear that. I've been playing since I was 14 and am currently Majoring in Classical Performance. Not sure where you would've went besides a European Conservetory to find that type of competition since where I'm at its really relaxed and Cooperative instead.

My passions from a common spring.
(Excerpt From "Alone" By E.A. Poe)

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2009, 3:05 pm

Loli-kun

I actually got accepted into a 4 year university, but I wasn't quite sure if I could handle a 4 year, so I went to a 2 year college and got a Associate in Applied Arts in music. I did transferred to a 4 year college. I switched majors (in same concentration though) several times. I did get accepted as Bachelor of Music in performance, but the courses looked way too challenging. Then I thought about Music Education. NO WAY! I couldn't perform a recital in front of so many people for a grade. Do you have to do that at your college? So I finally decided on Bachelor of Arts in music. Other college students thought that the BA in music degree was a BS degree. The BA degree had music classes but not as extensive as a performance or education degree were. Which college do you go to?

I was very lucky to even get a 4 year degree. I almost quit! Sight Singing/Ear Training was so hard for me. At my college they crammed 1 and 2 into one year! I think now it's for 3 semesters. I had to do Keyboard Pedagogy as well. Teaching Internship was terrible! You have to student teach and the professor grades you! So tons of eyes on you and you are all nervous. Do you have to do internship? But the worst classes in music was that Sight Singing and Internship.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

Loli-kun
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2009, 3:16 pm

luvsterriers wrote:
Loli-kun

I actually got accepted into a 4 year university, but I wasn't quite sure if I could handle a 4 year, so I went to a 2 year college and got a Associate in Applied Arts in music. I did transferred to a 4 year college. I switched majors (in same concentration though) several times. I did get accepted as Bachelor of Music in performance, but the courses looked way too challenging. Then I thought about Music Education. NO WAY! I couldn't perform a recital in front of so many people for a grade. Do you have to do that at your college? So I finally decided on Bachelor of Arts in music. Other college students thought that the BA in music degree was a BS degree. The BA degree had music classes but not as extensive as a performance or education degree were. Which college do you go to?

I was very lucky to even get a 4 year degree. I almost quit! Sight Singing/Ear Training was so hard for me. At my college they crammed 1 and 2 into one year! I think now it's for 3 semesters. I had to do Keyboard Pedagogy as well. Teaching Internship was terrible! You have to student teach and the professor grades you! So tons of eyes on you and you are all nervous. Do you have to do internship? But the worst classes in music was that Sight Singing and Internship.

I'm at Johnson State College in Vermont. Yeah some people just have trouble with this type of stuff lol. We've got to take Music Theory, Keyboard Harmony, Ear-Training all of which are taken together on the same 2 days and have 4 levels each being 1 semester long. I've got to take lessons with the teacher (She studied in Europe from the time she was like 5) Internship is required at some point as well as an independent study. Which Her and I have already decided is going to be an indepth study/practical knowledge of Baroque Compositional Forms which then my Internship will be teaching an elective on that. Ear Training and Sight Singing are the hardest for me. Theory I have to remember to not ask questions since I actually know more then her in some areas lol and Keyboard harmony I don't even have to show for if i don't want until like KH3.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 11:00 am

Loli-kun

Do you have to take Conducting classes? What about choruses?

Loli-kun
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Dec 2009, 11:54 am

luvsterriers wrote:
Loli-kun

Do you have to take Conducting classes? What about choruses?

Umm... luckly no chorus required (not to good at singing) I'm planning to take all the conducting classes by choice. Bacially I'm going to take nearly all the Instrument related music classes if i can.

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 2:50 pm

luvsterriers wrote:
I'm sooooooooooo jealous of you, I wanna learn how to really play the Piano, but I can't afford lessons.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

leschevalsroses
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Dec 2009, 3:01 pm

I've been playing the bassoon for seven years. I'm not too good at it but because there's not a lot of bassoonists around people usually think I'm better than I really am :D

Alicyn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2009, 1:24 pm

Violinist for 18 years <3

johnpipe108
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Dec 2009, 10:15 pm

Bagpipes. Scottish Highland (aka GHB), and Irish Uilleann pipes. Started learning the Scottish chanter around 1964, and got my R.G. Hardie Scottish pipes in the fall of 1966. I used to play quite regularly, but not any more, usually only when there's a memorial in the family group. In 1974 I joined the (now defunct) Black Raven Pipe Band of San Francisco, CA, and was Pipe Sergeant when I left in 1981 to attend tech school.

In 1982 I started making my own UP half-set (chanter and drones, none of the extra "chord" pipes called "regulators"), and play occasionally, though I used to play regularly when I lived in SF and could attend the monthly Piper's Club meetings and the "seisuns" (jam sessions) available at an Irish pub. I did take the pipes down to a local pub on "open mike night" and played a few tunes recently.

I also have an old Ludwig tenor banjo (from the 1920's, I believe) and have it strung "Irish style", i.e., same notes as a mandolin, etc, but haven't played it very much in the two decades or so since our "just for fun" singing group John Philbert ceased upon the death of Phil, who had been one of my very few closer relationships.

Also play the pennywhistle, and have a long D whistle hand-made by Copeland, along with the usual assortment of Generation whistles.

I used to play 5-string banjo, and can play basic guitar chords and rythym, but it's been about 40 years since I gave my 12-string Stella to my younger sister.

My first instrument (aside from picking out tunes on the piano when I was 5 or six, causing my older sister's piano teacher to ask my mother to have me take lessons, which did not happen, and I was the only child of three that continued to play music throughout my life) was Clarinet which started in 5th grade (that was about 1954!), and lasted though Marching Concert Band in HS.

I once toyed with learning the "fiddle" but that never happened.

Johnpipe

Bom Shankar Bholenath! I do not "have a syndrome", nor do I "have a disorder," I am a "Natural Born Scholar!"

mrandysmiley
Raven
Raven

20 Dec 2009, 10:08 am

I have been playing the drums for the past 15 years. I started playing when I was 8. I haven't actually played them in two years.

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2009, 12:22 am

I played flute in the school band from 5th to 8th grade. I also tried to teach myself guitar, but that didn't work out so well.

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 4:36 am

Guitar, bass. Would like to get into drums as well, it'd help me with recording but I'm stuck with a drum sequencer.

Speaking of instruments, I've finally gotten my Höfner bass. Will be alotta fun.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 11:38 am

CowboyFromHell wrote:
Guitar, bass. Would like to get into drums as well, it'd help me with recording but I'm stuck with a drum sequencer.

Speaking of instruments, I've finally gotten my Höfner bass. Will be alotta fun.

'62 or '63 Beatle bass? I never liked the ultrathin necks on those, but they were still cool instruments.