Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2009, 10:28 pm

???

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

Descartes30
Toucan
Toucan

28 Dec 2009, 12:11 am

I may not have any real human interactions, but books and I get along fabulously. Consequently I read between 200-300 books per year, re-reading many of my favorites along with discovering new ones. So, yes, I am what you would call a huge literature geek. And I especially geek out over classic literature.

Similar, but separately, I am a bit of a bibliophile as well. How about yourself? The feel and smell of a book, especially a new one... it's rather embarrassingly intoxicating to me. So the 2nd largest room of my apartment is lined with bookshelves.

While many Aspies have focuses that vary over their lifespan, and I have had some variations, books have been my long term joy thus far. I enjoyed books when young and had a very advanced reading level, but when I read Shakespeare at age 10... I was gone. Twenty two years later, books keep me sane 8)

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

28 Dec 2009, 12:33 am

I love books. Bookshelves take up at least 10 walls of my house, with books on almost every subject, though there is a focus on science, religion, history and classic literature. I don't read as often as I would like, I have attention issues that hinder my focusing on a book for long. I am currently reading A People's History of the U.S. by Zinn as well as Here's the Deal, Don't Touch Me by Howie Mandel (a funny book regarding his life and his OCD).

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2009, 2:00 am

Until we started fulltiming in the RV, my husband and I had close to 9,000 books (plus 20 large boxes of books in storage). Once we decided to move into the motorhome, we had to sell/donate our books and rely on weekly visits to the public library for our reading fix.

Additionally, I've started collecting ebooks which I read on my laptop or PDA. (You can find lots of classic ebooks for free online.) We have approx. 100 print books right now in the RV though.

Although we're moving into a house within the next few weeks, we don't plan to start filling the house with bookcases as I've gotten quite used to visiting the library on a regular basis and would miss it if we stopped going. I also love having thousands of ebooks on various SD cards and jump drives which take up less than the space of a couple of Altoids tins.

In addition to classic and modern literary fiction, I especially love reading biographies of artists and writers, as well as books on social anthropology and history.

INTJ.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 6:50 am

In the broad sense of the word "literature", yes. In the narrower sense of the word, I read posh books a lot, but only so that I know my enemy. :wink:

The year is still young.

rosiemaphone
Raven
Raven

28 Dec 2009, 6:01 pm

Most people consider me to be a bit of a literature geek, although I think I'm more of a book geek, if that makes sense.

But yes, my favourite things to do are reading and writing.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 11:56 pm

I'm a bibliophile, if that's what you mean...;)

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 4:54 pm

pakled wrote:

same here. can't really call myself a "geek" as I read it all, the good stuff and the really terrible stuff just for the fun of it. I made a new year's resolution to read 100 books in 2010, but it might be a bit too over-ambitious so I think I might just go with "minimum of 75" :P

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jan 2010, 6:38 pm

Only in the sense that I write and trying to finish a novel. I stopped reading fiction a long time ago as it's just more fun to write my own now. I consume a fair few books researching subject matter for stories, though.

Descartes30
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jan 2010, 7:05 pm

I write as well, but I consider the most important thing to do for a writer, other than practice writing, is to read. It doesn't cause plagiarism, it opens up imagination routes and flexes those brain muscles :P

I just obtained a new book yesterday that has me totally geeked out and seeing stars. "The Barnhart Concise Dictionary of Etymology" is blooming awesome. I feel giddy as a schoolgirl just turning the pages and absorbing all that wonderful linguistic knowledge. While certainly every day doesn't have to be an event in comparative literature, I have read the Twilight series 5 times thus far and many other popular novels, I still do love the academic side of literature as well. I salivate over sitting down with Joyce and just milking every syllable out to make it mine.

I should probably trade out some of that love for the written word for some semblance of an ability to speak aloud. But I'm too passionate for it, so I guess this is the way I'll stay 8)

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 1:02 am

anna-banana wrote:
pakled wrote:

same here. can't really call myself a "geek" as I read it all, the good stuff and the really terrible stuff just for the fun of it. I made a new year's resolution to read 100 books in 2010, but it might be a bit too over-ambitious so I think I might just go with "minimum of 75" :P

ditto

I read about 200 books a year though. Most of them are non-fictional. I like to read 3 books at a time. I don't have cable. Movies are cool, but I like to use my imagination more so than rely on outside stimulation. Books/words have a way of speaking to me on a different level than visual entertainment value. Plus, I like to toss my books around the house...read a little bit and put it away. Perhaps it's ADD? :lol: Reading is faster than talking too...

-Pythagoras

Snazzlestick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2010, 1:12 am

I used to read so much as a kid, books were my escape from the world. Was able to read as many as 5 books a day 8) Now my attention span is too short to focus properly on anything :?

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 1:21 am

Snazzlestick wrote:
I used to read so much as a kid, books were my escape from the world. Was able to read as many as 5 books a day 8) Now my attention span is too short to focus properly on anything :?

Sometimes I have no attention span to read. I think it's the medicine I'm on...
When I wasn't on medication, I devoured books.

-Pythagoras

Snazzlestick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2010, 1:29 am

Magnus wrote:
Snazzlestick wrote:

I'm the opposite. I was able to concentrate more when I was on meds. I think I need to go on them again.

What meds are you on, if I can ask?

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 2:24 am

Snazzlestick wrote:
Magnus wrote:
Snazzlestick wrote:

I'm the opposite. I was able to concentrate more when I was on meds. I think I need to go on them again.

What meds are you on, if I can ask?

Abilify and Zoloft. I feel great though! Ultra mellow these days. Kinda dumb... :lol:

What helped you study?

-Pythagoras

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 10:58 am

Magnus wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
pakled wrote:

ditto

I read about 200 books a year though. Most of them are non-fictional. I like to read 3 books at a time. I don't have cable. Movies are cool, but I like to use my imagination more so than rely on outside stimulation. Books/words have a way of speaking to me on a different level than visual entertainment value. Plus, I like to toss my books around the house...read a little bit and put it away. Perhaps it's ADD? :lol: Reading is faster than talking too...

so that's like 1 book every 1.8 days?! 8O whoa!

I wish I had that much time to read. I made 100 easily as a student but I had over 100 books each year on the curriculum.

I might download some PDF books that I could sneakily read on my work computer :chin: