Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

After reading this; do you think there is more to music or ever did?
Yes 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Always have! 100% agree 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
This guy is crazy! some one get help.. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Blake_be_cool
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 3:29 am

Hey every one, I'm just a young musician that has plegd his life to music, But in my young beginning carrea i've always wondered what else is there, i've noticed that if it is music it's been done, every type of music(Rock, Jazz, RnB Ect..) and others(Rock with a little jazz.) So no matter what now, we have come to a point that in music all we do is put differemt notes and instruments together but basically it's all the same. same same same.. I've always wonder could there; is there more, I can't explain it. and i feel like i just have this block on my head i can feel it but not see it. is there more to is. A sound with some sort of frequency or anything to make it better. Like movies, we have got film, cd, dvd, HD, soon hologram.. but the point is there is more to it, i don't know if i'm making sence or just going crazing. But for a while now i've stop in my music and started learning in science to make it posiable, any idea.. or anything? Sorry if I spelt some words wrong..

Blake,

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 6:42 am

every note & every chord has been used before, its just how u put them together. status quo got through years & made millions on 3 chords alone. all music is similar - thats because our ears like music that is similar. (ie u like the beatles, blur, kaiser chiefs & oasis so you'll probably like kasabian as well, same goes for eddie halliwell/fatboy slim/scott brown & yoji biomehanika or motorhead/pantera/metallica etc etc) thats how i look at it.

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

Iuri
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Jan 2010, 7:36 am

From one point of view, one can think that all the music is only one thing. All music (for NTs) is an expression of the comporser's view or feelings. All music (for me, an aspie musician) is a way of making some sounds in a fixed way for each instrument and it requires some training.
From other point of view, every music has at least a slightly difference from another music. A song (for NTs) express a different feeling of the composer. A piece (for me, an aspie musician) is executed in a different way, with different instruments or different techniques.

If you want to find differences on music, I think you should start to search on internet for History of Music. Wikipedia is a good place for starting, I think. For example, most of the songs that are listened nowadays are in Jonian or Aeolian mode. If one searches on Middle Ages Western music, one will find other modes (like Dorian, Phrygian or Lydian) that became impopular during common practice and are starting to come back in Contemporary Classical Music.

If you want to find different ways of playingand search on Internet, you will find a long evolution untill nowadays. That is, from early sung-only songs to voice and instrument to combinations to a whole orchestra.

If you want to find different instruments, I think searching in History of Musical Instruments would be fine, but it doesn't catch my interests so much.

I've been listening to Classical Music since I was a child so I'm talking about these things.
Sometimes I really thought that there were no more music to compose because I try to compose and in some seconds I'm imagining a piece that I've heard.

Do you compose songs or you only play the instruments (like me)?

Blake_be_cool
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 7:44 am

Iuri wrote:
Do you compose songs or you only play the instruments (like me)?

Yeah, I'm not that good but I compose my own songs. I added the ones that I made when I was 8 on NewGrounds(Mums Idea.) http://sparrow40k.newgrounds.com/audio/
http://www.sparrow.hostoi.com/ As you can see I go by the name Sparrow. Right now i'm making my first song with vocals; called "Skipping Alone", http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt115581.html

I play Guitar, Keyboard, Flute, A little Drums, I think thats about it.

Wbu?

Daniella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2010, 7:05 pm

There's always more.

SquishypuffDave
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2010, 11:40 pm

The more I listen to music the more firmly I believe that the character and sound of a song is what's most important, and has virtually no limits. If you're a singer with a low range, there are ways you can work around it. If you're a singer with no character, you can't. You can have a song with a million chords that expresses nothing, and you can have a song with one note that expresses everything. In this regard, there is always more.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 1:33 am

Sure, with a finite number of notes, time signatures, and orchestrial symbols, it's possible that most of the changes have been wrung from the well-tempered scales.

But there are other scales, other time signatures. Computers and synths allow for microtonal pieces, and as long as people can speak, there's going to be something new to say...

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

03 Jan 2010, 2:08 am

I think that where we are in music is only the tip of the iceberg. However, the notes melodies etc have gone everywhere, but the true power of music has not been really harnessed. Bob Marley touched it for a while when he liberated a nation from slavery with the power of music. Music has an otherworldliness quality and a power to cause shifts in people, cultures, etc. Sometimes it is improperly used when metal musicians create an atomspehere of inner death...even plants die from heavy metal and grow faster with classical music. I am very careful what I listen too because music is powerful. I dont mean I only listen to christian music...I dont really like most christian music. However I only listen to music that is life giving, enriching, or catalystic in a positive way.
But I know that music's ability to be used as a tool for effectively righting social wrongs has been only touched by a handful of muscians.

Also much of modern musical instraments (sp) are soooo limiting to what can be done musically. To really stretch corners of your musical experience...I would check into historical musical instrements and tribal insterments. Not just talking about the djembe either. There are insterments in some south american and african cultures that have not really been discovered by western music that add a whole new musical experience. If you want to take your experience further, I suggest researching and collecting these insterments and learning to play them fluently both the historical and the tribal. Did you know that classical music today sounds nothing like it did when it was made??? Many of the instraments are different. The ones they used at that time are now historical articacts. They sounded much differently. There are still some companies that make historical instrerments. You will pay quite a bit for them, but since you dedicated your life to music, you need to know where music has been, both sound varations and factual info, to know where to take it next.

Jojo

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 8:36 am

"Sometimes it is improperly used when metal musicians create an atomsphere of inner death."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfBVYhyXU8o[/youtube]